A good argument well won

by DD10 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

DD10/STONEWALL - I had these same thoughts for YEARS... And only fully expressed myself about them to my wife within the past year or so. She really had no rebuttal, she couldn't disagree that this made no sense.

Btw... Welcome!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I've been thinking lately about the whole "worship God" concept and how back asswards it is.

Respect in normal circles is earned. You do good work, you act civilly and politely to people, you say and do admirable things, then people love and respect you.

With God, it's the opposite. In order to get him to do ANYthing, you're required to love and respect and worship him FIRST. It's like showing up for a job interview and asking for your first paycheck in advance. Anyone with a sense of fairness and integrity is going to tell you to get lost. Well God, show up and DO SOMETHING then maybe we'll see what respect it earns you.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    add to that, that mankind has never had the opportunity to prove their ability without the wicked influence of Satan & the demons

I actually started a thread about this issue. It wasn't until humans were infected with sin and death that they were allowed to rule independently from God. In essence, he stacked the deck against them so that they would fail.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

IF ( and here is the crux of the matter) God is the creator of the universe and the ultimate source of love and morals then YES, he is deserving of worship.

We would worship God because all that we have is beacuse of God, all that is good and all that IS.

It would be "false modesty" for God not to "demand" worship ( not that God demands it), just as it would be false modesty of Osain Bolt to deny being called the world's fastest man.

Of course, that is based on "IF".

As fro the argument in heaven "excuse" for suffering and such, NO that is NOT how it is.

With the possible exception of Job, there is no "bet" between God and Satan.

Satan betting against His creator, the being that HE KNOWS, knows all possible outcomes, would make Satan the biggest idiot in heaven or earth or hell ( take your pick).

• What Now?
    What Now?

Hi DD10, welcome to the forum! Those are some great points that you bring up!

@StoneWall - you just made me have a "WELL DUH!!" moment. I had NEVER thought about it that way before!

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Welcome DD, you make good points. Simple answer is that it's all made up.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Good point DD.

The issue is the Bible, is just a book of ridiculous fairy tales and myths, written by men from an age of ignorance.

• agent zero
    agent zero

DD10, great points, and welcome!

• Lazarus
    Lazarus

Had exactly the same thoughts in my early teenage years. Couldn't believe why God would allow so much evil to prove so little (or nothing at all). And, as PSacramento already said, Satan has to be the biggest idiot imaginable.

Well done DD10.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome!

And poor Eve. She had only ever heard the voice of Adam and maybe God. She would have been at the very bottom of the "submission means to do what you're told" ladder. She had certainly never heard a lie before. Finally, there is someone to talk to in a speaking snake. For all she knew, the snake was just revealing "new light".

What is a "lie"? Is a lie when God says that you will die in the day you eat the fruit, and they you live for another 900 years?

To prove his rightness and sovereignty, God has allowed billions of humans to suffer and die without having any idea of what "issue" they were dying as a result of.

And that's just one issue in the beginning of Genesis. Obviously, I don't believe all the Big Book of Jewish Fables, as interpreted by Watchtower Corporation, to be the inspired word of God.

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit