what religion are you now?

by deservingone26 46 Replies latest jw friends

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

It's definitely a growth process and one thing I've learned is to not be tied down to any one school of thought. There are many great thinkers out there and I think in a universal kind of way. Each culture has something to learn from and I intend to keep learning as much as I can and apply what I learn in a positive way to the world around me.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Methodist.... A bit of the structure I am programmed to need and all the freedom I could want.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Nothing for now

• godrulz
    godrulz

Never been JW, but I am your friendly neighborhood token evangelical Christian (Pentecostal)...not that anyone cares.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

I would describe myself as Christian - but I do not attend any church.

Someday I may start to attend a church but do not feel the need to do so at the moment.

The Scotsman

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Greetings,

I like the Thomas Paine works and so take parts of Deism then added bits of Humanism, Ayn Rand and bits of Agnostic thought sometimes even read about Atheism and Erich von Daniken and Zechariah Sitchen.

I know its a bit odd to read and pick different parts of all these philosophies, but each may have pieces of truth, who knows!!

We all used to believe the Bible without question didn't we!

Best Regards,

Star Tiger

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Bokononism

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have been an active Episcoplian for about forty years now. Wow, it seems like yesterday. I stumbled upon it. College allowed me to study the NT as history. I found that I could have tradition and the Bible. Nevertheless, I was not well-versed in religions and knew not how to investigate. There was many wacky New Age and Indian reliigions in NY but I wanted more traditional. When I had to visit my college campus after graduation, the subway was out of order. Rather than wait for a bus, I walked down a block I rarely walked down to get to the next stop. There was this immense cathedral (largest in the world) I never noticed somehow. The placard outside advertised a sermon by Cesar Chavez, the migrant leader, and Geraldo Rivera, a local TV hack. I drove far from Jersey to see Chavez and in church.

It looked just like a Roman Catholic church. There was heavenly music, luxurious trappings, incense, creeds, candles burning near icons, the works -- with a progressive theology. Leading theologicans preached there, Asian religions visited, Jewish rabbis gave sermons. I fell in utter love.

I felt very awkward from being a Witness. It wasn't clear to me how to receive communion, what to do with my hands, and how to cross in the right direction. The clergy scared the daylights out of me b/c of Babylon the Great. It would make a great comical piece. Over time, I became extremely comfortable and vested in internal disputes. I became a connoiseur of parish shopping.

• bigmac
    bigmac

practising alcoholic

practice makes perfect

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

None. I can't see myself ever going to an organized church or religion as a practicing member.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit