New here

by Tuber 98 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

For the record, regarding the phrase "true Christians don't accept blood transfusions," here are two WT quotes that are very close to this wording:

Yes, even in centuries past, people saw that God's law ruled out both the taking of blood into the veins and the taking of it through the mouth. Realizing this may help people today to understand the position that Jehovah's Witnesses take, one that accords with God's stand. While highly valuing life and appreciating medical care, true Christians respect life as a gift from the Creator, so they do not try to sustain life by taking in blood. -- 1 Samuel 25:29
    w91 6/15 "Saving Life With Blood -- How?"

True Christians therefore must "abstain . . . from blood." (Acts 15:20)
    w97 8/1 "He Found a 'Pearl of High Value.'"

Does the command to abstain from blood include blood transfusions? Yes.
    -- What Does The Bible Really Teach chapter 13, paragraph 13

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@InterestedOne:

Although the above quote does not use the term "true Christians," it does teach that "faithful servants of God" will not accept blood for medical reasons. Therefore, it teaches that if a person accepts blood for medical reasons, that person is not a faithful servant of God.

Here's the thing: Just because a servant of Jehovah should fall short in some way, this does not necessarily make that servant any less a true Christian. Any servant of God that speaks against the truth, that speaks against the holy spirit, that blasphemes the holy spirit, and doesn't repent, would not be a faithful servant of God, but as long as they have not committed the forgivable sin, as long as they are able to repent, they can be forgiven their shortcomings, be healed spiritually, and thus become a true Christian again. If you were ever baptized, then you were once a true Christian, right?

The problem with many of the people here on JWN whose messages I have read is that they are judgmental over the imperfections, personalities and mistakes of other imperfect human beings, fellow human beings like themselves; they expect imperfect human beings to measure up to an impossible standard and they just cannot forgive themselves where they fall short nor can they forgive others. I don't want to argue with you over what makes one a true Christian, over what makes one a faithful servant of God. On a positive note, and what's more important here is what Jehovah God did after Adam sinned and maybe the OP, @Tuber, will get the sense of what I'm writing here:

Jehovah God decided that he would send his son to earth to die as a ransom for the sins that he knew Adam's offspring would come to inherit, but after he had made a record about the kind of God he is with respect to his human and animal creation, and though this record he made manifest his most outstanding attributes of love, justice, wisdom and power, on which Jesus went on to elaborate when he arrived on the scene at God's appointed time.

It was after Jesus' death that many other things regarding Jehovah God's purpose for the earth came to be revealed, such as why it was God only seemed to be interceding in the lives of the sons of Israel and protecting them from all of the others nations that were their neighbors, while he totally permitted the other nations, who were not Israel's neighbors and not mentioned in the Bible to do their own thing in order to get this record of his dealings with mankind done, which book we today call the Bible provides an explanation of God's thinking from the founding of the world.

Fast forward to today, we now know that apart from Israel there was no one on earth that had any hope of surviving their plight as sinful humans and that were it not for the "fire" that Jesus Christ started on the earth during his ministry, no one, not even Jehovah's Witnesses, would have the prospect that we now enjoy of becoming the nucleus of the new earth of righteousness. Anyone that should think that this hope that true Christians today have will be shared with any other people are just deluding themselves, for this good news of the kingdom that Jehovah's Witnesses have been preaching, and are still preaching throughout the world of mankind will be the last chance for many to be able to get to know Jehovah so as to become a dedicated servant of his by getting baptized that they might survive the end of this wicked system of things along with our families and those of our friends that listen to us and get baptized. It's possible that we will not get to reach many of the folks living in places like Saudi Arabia or in the Orient or in Russia, but we should be trying to reach as many people as we can with the message about the kingdom, including the lurkers here on JWN.

It's sad that most of the people on JWN have learned that what I am saying to you here is the truth, better than anyone else in the entire world of mankind, including Christendom, other than those who are active Jehovah's Witnesses, and that so many of the folks here are going to perish because they are judgmental, faultfinders and, I have to say, unfaithful servants of God. My hope though is that some of those hear will stop trippin', like the kids say, and stop marginalizing Jehovah as if he didn't raise Jesus from the dead, and stop idolizing Jesus as does Christendom's churches as if Jesus didn't himself disown himself so as to do the will of God, as if they have either forgotten or don't know that we were bought with a precious price by means of the ransom paid by Jesus Christ for forgiveness of our sins, and have either forgotten or don't know as well that we should, like Jesus, disown ourselves, too, in a Christlike fashion, that is, in imitation of Jesus, so as to do the will of God.

Literally billions of people are going to die, not just adults, but children also, young children, newborns, just as occurred when the waters of the global deluge drowned every man, woman and child in that pre-Flood world, except for Noah and seven other people of his household. Elders have had to deal with all kinds of people that seemed to be ok until they proved to be liars, thieves, wife-beaters, pedophiles, fornicators, and some of these have actually been elders, but we of all people should realize that we cannot read hearts, and that we can easily be fooled by people pretending to be someone that they are not to the injury of innocent men, women and children.

We should really, all of us, be putting our faith in what Jesus' name stands for, putting our faith in what Jesus' name represents, namely, the one whose ransom not only gives us a righteous standing before God, but which ends our estrangement from God so that we become reconciled with God as servants in his household, presided over by the One that he made Lord and Christ, Jesus Christ, and making public declaration of our faith by informing as many people as possible as to what's coming, even if the rest of the world should fail to believe us.

Hopefully, @Tuber will appreciate my having taken the time to explain to him in this thread some things that caused him concern as to religion practiced by Jehovah's Witnesses, with which his stepmother, as well as his two half-siblings, are associated, and will realize that despite what all of the naysayers have said and written, that we are dedicated servants of God that offer ourselves willingly in sacred service in order to help those that listen to us get ready for survival whenever it is that the end of this system of things comes, that we believe the Bible is truly the inerrant word of God and that we are sincere about our beliefs, even if some of our beliefs, like our observing Bible standards, should sound strange to his ears in view of the fact that people of other Christian denominations tend to live by their own standards. Our Bible education work is based on our love for the people in the communities in which we live, neighbor love, and our love for God.

@djeggnog

• sizemik
    sizemik

so many of the folks here are going to perish because they are judgmental, faultfinders and, I have to say, unfaithful servants of God.

What's that statement if it's not judgemental fault finding?

So we're trying to wear a cloak of humility now . . . sorry EggNog, but that ship has long since sailed . . .

I don't know about those who are the object of your preaching . . . but I've been here long enough to see your high-handed condemnation of others . . . and your self-proclaimed "genius"

Get over yourself . . . maybe some people here do quite well at living by christian principles without any help from your thieving, lying, child-molesting, wife-beating, fornicating shepherds, as you so humbly point out.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

djeggnog wrote:

I don't want to argue with you over what makes one a true Christian, over what makes one a faithful servant of God.

I don't want to argue either. You said you were not aware of any WT publications stating that true Christians do not accept blood transfusions. Notice in my last post that I have discovered that the WT has stated that true Christians do not try to sustain life by taking in blood, and this includes taking blood into the veins, which includes blood transfusions. I'm just sharing some relevant WT information.

• Tuber
    Tuber

Wow, this thread has been going nuts while I've been away from my computer.

@Tuber:
    I never said I want to stop my stepmother being a theist, I want to stop her being a Jehovah's Witness.

@djeggnog:
    I see. How do you imagine that you will be able to accomplish this? By taking a crash course in theology a la ex-Jehovah's Witnesses? I've read some of the "advice" that others have been given you here and someone advised you to become an undercover Bible student so that you will learn in stealth at least some of the major teachings of the Bible, teachings that some here have suggested are in reality the major teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses that are not based on Bible at all.You seem to assume that my being an athiest means that I am unfamiliar with the bible. I spent 5 years (the entirity of my high school education) at a christian school (baptist, if it matters). I chose my own high school, and I chose the school because a number of my friends were going there, and also for the very reason that those same friends were choosing it, because of the quality of education it offered.

I spent 5 years undertaking religous education (RE) twice a week, an hour each time- and consistently earnt A and A+ grades. I got higher grades than many of my christian peers. I would often ask questions that required my RE teachers (over the course of the 5 years I had 3 teachers for this class) to reply "I'll get back to you on that", then make me wait a week or two while they researched, consulted with other teachers etc before finally giving me an answer or explanation. Two of my three RE teachers had degrees in theology (I believe one was a masters, the other a Phd). The one without an academic degree was an ordained minister.

I have not read the bible from cover to cover, although incidentally I am currently doing just that (checking my main translation against two others- as you can imagine, this is going to take a considerable amount of time).

As for my own education, I currently hold a bachelor's degree in Advanced (Certain Asian Language) Studies. Sorry for not specifying the language, but I am somewhat paranoid about internet detectives. As you can imagine this makes me familiar with the basics of translation, the difference between translating text "word for word" and "thought for thought", and the tendency most translators have, which must be avoided, especially in the "thought for thought" method, to assume they know what the original writer was trying to say, and adding nuances and words into the translation that have no support in the source text.

I am quite familiar with the bible and christianity, as well as with a number of other religions. The more I learn about any particular religion and what it teaches, the less able I find myself able to believe it.

I approach any religion with an open mind, but none stand up to scientific/ rational scrutiny.

As for atheists, they usually fall into one of two categories "soft" or "hard". It's a subtle but important distinction. Soft atheists simply do not believe there is a god. Hard atheists believe there is no god. I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense. I used to be a soft athiest, but as time passes I find myself "hardening". Having said that however, my ultimate measuring stick is the scientific method. Some say atheism requires faith, and they are wrong. Faith is believing something without evidence, or in spite of evidence to the contrary. I don't have "faith" in the non existence of god, because I don't exercise faith, I rely on evidence. Were someone to come to me with evidence that God existed, and were this evidence to stand up to scientific scrutiny, I would change my stance.

@Tuber:
    Watchtower publications teach that all other religions, to the extent of all other [denominations] of Christianity even, are being used by Satan to lead people away from the "one true religion".

@Djeggnog:
    This is what the Bible teaches. I won't quote the Bible texts here since I'm not sure that you have the same appreciation that I do as to the infallibility of God's word and its truthfulness. The Bible teaches, for example, that God raised Jesus, a man that was put to death, from the dead on the third day after his execution. Because Christians believe what things the Bible teaches, they accept this teaching on faith in the Bible, which they believe to have been written under divine inspiration, but you couldn't be expected to believe that a dead man came back to life after having been dead for parts of three days rose from the dead.

Although the earth may have been existence for many thousands of years, perhaps aeons, the Bible provides a history of mankind that only dates back to a little over 6,000 years, and because Christians hold the Bible to be inerrant, they would have no difficulty rejecting the idea that man evolved from primates as a result of evolution (based on the Darwinian premise of natural selection) or rejecting as absurd the notion that man has been walking around on this planet for 10,000, 50,000 even 100,000 years or longer, believing as we do that the human race began as the result of the direct creation of Adam and Eve by God. If you should decide to accept a Bible study with one of Jehovah's Witnesses, this point will be made using the Bible and you will, of course, be free to reject what you read in the Bible as incredible.
    You're right, I don't hold the bible to be infallible, nor do I hold any other holy book to be infallible. Even science is not infallible, but the strength of science is that it admits its own fallibility, and says simply "this is the evidence we currently have, and experiments we have performed show... this is currently the most accurate explanation we have, but should new evidence come to light, should the results of our experiments prove faulty, we will have to admit we were wrong, and come to a new understanding".

I do reject the bible as incredible. That is not because I don't understand it, but rather, it is because I do.

However, infallible or not, the bible teaches that any religions other than christianity are false and used by satan, that's true.

But nowhere does the bible state that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only true christians, and that every other sect of christianity is apostate. Nowhere does the bible expand on Jesus's parable about the faithful and discrete slave, nowhere does it say that this slave is an organization, that this organization is the WTS (or JWs, take your pick, amounts to the same thing ultimately) that this organization is approved by god, nor that disobeying or disagreeing with the organisation is paramount to rebellion against god.

I can't be bothered quoting everything, so I'm just leaving a few lines between each topic if I don't start it with a quote, like I have done above.
    @InterestedOne has provided you with quotes about the blood topic, I don't feel the need to rehash. Sorry if I offend, but I have to agree with @Sizemik that you have a tendency to get caught up in semantics. Perhaps there is quote where WTS literature uses the exact phrase I did, but they teach that JWs are the only true christians, and accepting a blood transfusion is a disfellowshipping offence.

Also, your crude oil analogy was well written, but @Sizemik provided a quote from WTS that condemns fractions, or to use your term, byproducts. In recent years WTS literature may be saying that fractions are a "conscience issue", but the implicit disapproval is still there.

Furthermore, the crude oil analogy is particularly potent because it takes the same route as blood: main product -> byproduct. However, please let me give me give you an analogy that will sum up how I see it, which takes a different route: ingredients -> final product.

WTS literature has in recent years loosened its stance towards fractions, like I mentioned above. But now see my analogy: blood fractions are the ingredients, the building blocks if you will, of blood. The WTS allowing fractions but banning whole blood is no different to saying "you may eat bread, you may eat butter, or margarine, you may eat ham, you may eat cheese, you may eat any ingredient or filling one would normally find in a ham sandwich, but you must not combine them into an actual ham sandwich. You may have all the ingredients without the ham, because that's just a sandwich. Or you may have all the ingredients without the bread, because then it's just ham and salad with a few condiments".

As for the risk argument, it is a nothing more than a convenient argument. All medical procedures carry risks. In fact, even eating contains risks- the first time one eats a new foodstuff, they may be risking a life threatening allergy.

But it's not so much an issue of the level of risk, to my mind, as it is to the level of consequence. Consider a hypothetical situation where a patient will die without a blood transfusion (and please don't ask me to cite an example of such a situation, there is WTS literature about children dying instead of accepting blood). Should the worst happen, and the patient be adversely affected by a blood transfusion, what are the consequences? An infection, even perhaps one as serious as HIV. But even with such an infection, the length of the patient's life is extended, and depending on treatment, even HIV can be managed, albeit not cured, with today's medical science. Now what are the consequences of refusing the blood transfusion? Death. If I was faced with certain death, or life, but with the risk of an infection, I know which I would choose.

Disfellowshipping and shunning... you kind of made my point for me. Jehovah's witnesses associate as little as possible with disfellowshipped individuals. WTS literature instructs JWs to avoid all contact with disfellowshipped individuals. This is JW doctrine. This I strongly disagree with, especially considering some of the offences that carry the disfellowshipping penalty.

As for misquoting scientists, see this link, which documents the amount of misquotes in just one WTS publication:
    http://www.tj-encyclopedie.org/Blatant_misquotes_in_the_Origin_of_Life_booklet

In regards to the end of the world, like @Sizemik said, not saying something a certain way is not the same as not saying it. The same goes for your saying that the JWs have never officially predicted the end of the world, only talked in "what ifs". I've read of JWs selling their homes to support "kingdom work" before the end etc. I cannot recall where I read this particular piece of information, but I'm sure some of the others in this thread know what I am talking about, and will more than likely clarify for me (and if anyone does, thanks in advance). I also am not in possession of the full WT library, and since the WTS likes to bury the evidence of its changed doctrines and other failures, it would take me quite a lot of work for me to hunt down a quote for me to support myself. Hopefully someone with a more exstensive collection of resources will be able to furnish you with a citation.

And again, you are attacking me for being an athiest, telling me I'm not qualified to draw attention to what the bible says about false prophets?

I guess that means I have to be a doctor to draw attention to what the medical community says about blood transfusion - I doubt whoever wrote "how can blood save your life" brochure was a doctor, but they use quotes from medical journals liberally.

Because I don't believe the bible, I can't draw attention to a passage or a piece of scripture? If you want to extend this logic, I guess it means I can't tell you which of the three little pigs built their house out of bricks, since not believing the story apparently makes me unqualified to discuss it.

• sizemik
    sizemik

@DJEggNog . . . OK . . . I'll play your childish game of semantics . . .

Many became victims of rumors that spread from one circuit to the next while elders said nothing and were even caught up in the notion that 6,000 years of human history signified something that we never taught. . . . DJEggNog

And no doubt that includes your chum Bro Sunutko who addressed a District Convention with the very same thought. As it happens, I addressed a Circuit Assembly on a couple of occasions also. As such, I know how the material to be presented is formulated, prepared and scrutinised prior to delivery. "A new goal" ... "The finish line" ... "And that's the year 1975" . . . Bro Sunutko's words to a District Convention in 1967, transcript and audio recording available.

Did the Convention Overseer arrange to have this claim corrected? Was any announcement or adjustment made? . . . NO . . . because that is what the program . . . sanctioned by appointed representatives of the WTB&TS . . . WANTED TO HAVE TAUGHT

And why would they correct it? . . . it was in perfect harmony with the expectation created in the WTB&TS literature of the same period. And here's where I'll play your childish game. Did the WTB&TS claim a specific date sometime in 1975 as the beginning of Armageddon ... NO, they didn't. Did the WTB&TS deliberately and consciously promote the expectation that 1975 would be the year when Armageddon would occur ... YES they did. The above talk and others like it were TAUGHT along with the TEACHINGS in the literature vigorously promoting the same expectation . . .

"Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. ? In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of Gods rest day come to an end? The year 1975. ? It means that within a relatively few years we will witness the fulfilment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end". Awake!1966 October 8 pp.19-20

"The immediate future is certain to be filled with climactic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end. Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these "last days" will undergo fulfilment." Watchtower1968 May 1 p.272

"The fact that fifty-four years of the period called the "last days" have already gone by is highly significant. It means that only a few years, at most, remain before the corrupt system of things dominating the earth is destroyed by God." Awake!1968 October 8 p.13

"Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them "brainwash" you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. This world has very little time left! Any "future" this world offers is no future! Wisely, then, let God's Word influence you in selecting a course that will result in your protection and blessing. Make pioneer service, the full-time ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future!" Watchtower1969 March 15 p.171

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things . Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the "last days" in 1914, Jesus foretold: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."-Matt. 24:34. Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!" Awake!1969 May 22 p.15

"Bible chronology which indicates that Adam was created in the fall of the year 4026 B.C.E. would bring us down to the year 1975 C.E. as the date marking 6,000 years of human history with yet 1,000 years to come for Christ's Kingdom rule. So whatever the date for the end of this system, it is clear that the time left is reduced, with only approximately six years left until the end of 6,000 years of human history." Watchtower 1970 May 1 p.273

Yes, since the summer of 1973 there have been new peaks in pioneers every month. Now there are 20,394 regular and special pioneers in the United States, an all-time peak. That is 5,190 more than there were in February 1973! A 34-percent increase! Does that not warm our hearts? Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service.Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end."Kingdom Ministry May 1974 p.3 How Are You Using Your Life

"Today there is a great crowd of people who are confident that a destruction of even greater magnitude is now imminent. The evidence is that Jesus' prophecy will shortly have a major fulfilment, upon this entire system of things. This has been a major factor in influencing many couples to decide not to have children at this time." Awake! 1974 November 8 p.11

That this TEACHING was actively and openly promoted to the R&F BY the WTB&TS and it's authorised representatives, is acknowledged openly, albeit grudgingly, in the following publication released almost 20 years later in 1993 . . .

"Brother Franz then referred to the many questions that had arisen as to whether the material in the new book meant that by 1975 Armageddon would be finished, and Satan would be bound. He stated, in essence: 'It could. But we are not saying?. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don’t any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that.’ ... However, other statements were published on this subject, and some were likely more definite than advisable." Jehovah's Witnesses - Proclaimers of God's Kingdom p.104

So . . . DJEggNog . . . .

When somebody says the WTB&TS falsley predicted the end of the world in 1975 . . .

And your reply is simply to say "When did they predict that? . . . I've never seen that in any of our publications" . . . you are being misleading and deceitful . . . and you are promoting a distorted belief of what happened . . . deliberately and knowingly.

And in my world . . . when somebody knowingly and deliberately promotes something which is NOT TRUE . . . they are a liar. And you Sir . . . are a bare-faced liar.

• djeggnog
  • djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Tuber:

I spent 5 years (the [entirety] of my high school education) at a christian school (baptist, if it matters).... I spent 5 years undertaking [religious] education (RE) twice a week, an hour each time.... Two of my three RE teachers had degrees in theology (I believe one was a masters, the other a Phd). The one without an academic degree was an ordained minister.

Did any of these three teachers of yours ever mention to you that neither the Lord Jesus Christ, nor any of his 12 apostles (not counting Judas Iscariot) was a Ph.D., or had earned a degree of any kind, because they were all taught by Jehovah God? Did you ever wonder why the absence of God's holy spirit during all five years of the religious education you had at this high school, even though one of your teachers had degrees in theology and another teacher was an ordained Baptist minister?

I am quite familiar with the bible and christianity, as well as with a number of other religions.

What exactly do you mean by "quite familiar"? Are you familiar with Jesus' parables, like the one at Matthew 13:31, 32? If so, what is the significance of the mustard seed's becoming a tree, and what do the "birds" represent? What is the mustard seed? How familiar are you with Jesus' parable at Luke 16:19-31 regarding the rich man and Lazarus? If you know, who does the rich man represent and who does Abraham represent?

I approach any religion with an open mind, but none stand up to scientific/ rational scrutiny.

If you were taught in this Christian high school you attended that the Bible must stand up to scientific scrutiny, that would be interesting since the Bible is a book of faith, but what does religion have to do with such scrutiny?

As for atheists, they usually fall into one of two categories "soft" or "hard". It's a subtle but important distinction. Soft atheists simply do not believe there is a god. Hard atheists believe there is no god. I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense.

Your explanation made no sense at all, but I accept what you're telling me here, that you attended a Christian high school and emerged as an atheist.

Having said that however, my ultimate measuring stick is the scientific method.

The Bible cannot be measured scientifically.

Some say atheism requires faith, and they are wrong. Faith is believing something without evidence, or in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Many atheists believe in evolution, and for anyone to believe in evolution requires them to put faith in blind chance, to believe without any evidence at all. True faith, however, is based on evidence and not blind chance. You clearly do not know what faith is at all, for faith is the confidence that one has in the reality of something unseen, like, for example, the confidence that one puts in what the signature scrawled on the personal check accepted in exchange for the goods and services rendered, the confidence placed in the payor's endorsement representing the payor's pledge to you that his or her bank will honor your demand for the amount pledged even if the payor is a stranger to you. Faith is the assured expectation of that for which one hopes based on convincing evidence.

Now I may have never been to New York City or ever seen a Broadway play before, but based on the testimonial evidence I've heard on tv and have read on various blogs about this play, my faith moves me to confidently make airline and hotel reservations, and to buy a pair of tickets to the play. True faith is always based on facts and is never based on a feeling.

And again, you are attacking me for being an [atheist], telling me I'm not qualified to draw attention to what the bible says about false prophets?

If I was attacking you -- I really wasn't, but if -- I have now adjusted by viewpoint since I now know that Christianity isn't a foreign a topic to you as it would be to someone that has always been an atheist.

I guess that means I have to be a doctor to draw attention to what the medical community says about blood transfusion - I doubt whoever wrote "how can blood save your life" brochure was a doctor, but they use quotes from medical journals liberally.

Actually, you might be surprised to learn that Jehovah's Witnesses are not just ordained Christians ministers, but many of them are also physicians, surgeons, attorneys, accountants, etc. I point this out to you to make the point that it is not unknown (except maybe to you!) that those involved in writing many of the articles that appear in brochures, booklets, magazines and books produced by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society are anonymous, and you are not only free to question the veracity of the quotations used in our literature, but you may conduct as much research as you wish to determine the validity of the quotations we might use therein.

Because I don't believe the bible, I can't draw attention to a passage or a piece of scripture? If you want to extend this logic, I guess it means I can't tell you which of the three little pigs built their house out of bricks, since not believing the story apparently makes me unqualified to discuss it.

You may draw attention to any scriptural passage you wish, but the problem is that you might read the words, "three little pigs," in the Bible -- not really, but this is just analogous to the underlying point I seek to make -- and think the passage you're reading is referring to three literal horns when in reality these "pigs" represent the French, Dutch and Spanish naval powers, who were humiliated by the British naval power, the small horn of Daniel's prophecy at Daniel 7:8, 24. You indicate that you "don't hold the bible to be infallible," and view it "as incredible," but what book is there that was written in 536 BC, some 2,298 years in advance, could accurately predict that the British Empire would prove its supremacy in 1763 AD over the kingdoms of France, The Netherlands and Spain?

You pointed out that "[e]ven science is infallible, although I'm not sure that I was discussing the infallibility of the Bible, but even so, what book is there that could have predicted the rise of a kingdom that became divided among four kings instead of to this king's posterity as was foretold at Daniel 11:3, 4? Incredible as this may sound to you, Jehovah's Witnesses know well how Bible prophecy foretold some 213 years in advance Alexander the Great's rise to power, and also how Greece came to be "divided toward the four winds of the heavens" with each of the four Hellenistic kingdoms being ruled by Alexander's four generals, Lysimachus, Seleucus I Nicator, Ptolemy Lagus and Cassander.

This isn't about logic at all. The fulfillment of Bible prophecy with regard to world history is one of the things that has convinced many that Jehovah's Witnesses is the only religion that teaches the truth, the only Christian group that has come to know things that other so-called Christian groups do not, the only people on earth to whom God has given his holy spirit. Do you know that prophecy is history written in advance?

I do reject the bible as incredible. That is not because I don't understand it, but rather, it is because I do.

Do you really understand the Bible? I understand the Bible because I have studied the Bible, and while you have read portions of the Bible and are now attempting to read it from cover to cover, you will never come to understand the Bible without the help of one of Jehovah's Witnesses for no one can hope to understand God's word, except by means of God's holy spirit.

I am looking forward to your responses to my above regarding Jesus' parables, and regarding the two prophecies in the book of Daniel that I mentioned above, but I do not expect you to be able to answer any of my questions. We'll see.

@sizemik:

Did the Convention Overseer arrange to have this claim corrected? Was any announcement or adjustment made? . . . NO . . . because that is what the program . . . sanctioned by appointed representatives of the WTB&TS . . . WANTED TO HAVE TAUGHT

And why would they correct it? . . . it was in perfect harmony with the expectation created in the WTB&TS literature of the same period. And here's where I'll play your childish game.

I'm not playing any "childish game" here. You claimed that Jehovah's Witnesses officially predicted the end of the world would occur in the year 1975, but you've not proved this to be the case. Yes, Bro. Sinutko left the script (as often happens) and embellished a little from what the outline stated, and made certain statements that I believe (and so did many others at the time) he should not have made without emphasizing that he was speculating over how nice it would be if....

Look: I asked you to provide proof of an official prediction made by Jehovah's Witnesses and you have failed to do so. Why? Because you cannot do so. BTW, you are not the first individual to have asserted such nonsense and I'm sure that you won't be the last one to make such an assertion. I know that Jehovah's Witnesses never officially made a prediction about the year 1975, and that the only thing that was officially stated about 1975 is that it would mark 6,000 years of human history.

And in my world . . . when somebody knowingly and deliberately promotes something which is NOT TRUE . . . they are a liar. And you Sir . . . are a bare-faced liar.

Well, I live in the real world, and not in a world of fantasy. You knowingly and deliberately promoted here that you could prove that I was lying, but what you actually quoted was a "what-if" scenario and not an official prediction made by Jehovah's Witnesses in any of our literature. However, if what you were unable to prove makes me a bare-faced liar" (although I'd rather be a bald-faced liar), then to you, I suppose, I am what you say I am.

@djeggnog

• sizemik
    sizemik
    DJEggNog . . .
    but what you actually quoted was a "what-if" scenario and not an official prediction

Few of the WTB&TS predictions were ever "official predictions" as you put it - not me . . . they use the same tactic you are using now . . . clever semantics to hide the fact. With this mindset firmly embedded, you ruin peoples lives without batting an eyelid. It's simply shameful intellectual dishonesty

I don't recall the words "what if" or any other similar idioms being used in any of these quotes. They are quite definitive in their application. To suggest that brothers would sell their homes and businesses, cash in their life insurance to go pioneering (and be commended by the WTB&TS for using the "short time that is left" in a fine manner) based on a "what if" . . . well . . . more ruined lives . . . no regrets . . . you're callous.

I'm sorry for you . . . I can't do more with someone who uses semantics in such a deceitful way.

Well, I live in the real world, and not in a world of fantasy.

I think you are the only one here that believes that. If I were to give you the benefit of the doubt and grant you some degree of sincerity in these denials . . . I could only offer you some helpful information. It will add to your knowledge and understanding . . . please listen to it.

http://www.forgoodreason.org/mp3_player/popup.html?theTrack=25

Except for the purpose of exposing others to this, which has been helpful . . . we are getting nowhere. I'm done here. Good luck.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Tuber wrote:

Wow, this thread has been going nuts while I've been away from my computer.

It has only gone nuts because a nut showed up. I was hoping we could focus on the progress of your discussion with your stepmom. Please let us know how it's going. Maybe even create a thread about it since this one has become scattered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit