New here

by Tuber 98 Replies latest jw friends

• Tuber
    Tuber

Hey all.

Thought I'd introduce myself.

First, a disclaimer: I'm an athiest.

Having said that, for anyone on here who holds a belief in the bible, I'm not here to attack you.

I'm here because I need help.

I work overseas, and my stepmother and two little half sisters are being steadily indoctrinated into the JWs.

I had been hearing bits and pieces from other family members, but today when I was on facebook, I saw not just some generic christian post from my stepmother, but this:

Religion has been mankinds biggest problem world wide throughout history. Jesus said to love God and one another even your enemies not kill, maim and persecute. [ Mathew 22:37&38] Followed by a nice helping of:

If people took the time to read what God says in the Bible and not the insidious things that religious sects including Christendom are teaching you will learn that God does have a plan to end this suffering in the world and it will happen, prophecies covering thousands of years have been fulfilled and are continuing to be fulfilled to this day. We are in the time of the end. The Prophecies are true.

I am currently reading Crisis of Conscience, and have been lurking around here for a while reading up on the WTS. I don't want to be seen as directly attacking the religion or organisation and end up being a "tool of satan", but I would like to say something to plant a seed of doubt in her mind.

Unfortunately subtlety and tact aren't my strong points when it comes to religion.

If anyone has any suggestions for an appropriate reply, or on a larger scale, how to combat the indoctrination, I would really appreciate it.

(From what I hear, she is commited to 30 hours a month field service, so she is already in pretty deep).

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

quote the watchtower "religion is a snare and a racket" find the exact quote....

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi Tuber. Welcome to our nightmare.

I don't want to be seen as directly attacking the religion or organisation and end up being a "tool of satan"

I'm pleased you have cottoned on to that one already. Trying to get them to think without scaring them off really is a tightrope walk.

I suggest you ask her questions based on what she says and any literature she quotes or sends you.

Bringing up info from CoC or any other 'Apostate' source is likely to be counterproductive.

The primary doctrine is that Jesus selected the WT in 1919 to be God's sole channel of communication in our day. As long as they believe that, they will believe anything the WT says, regardless of how loopy it seems to you. Don't get into Bible discussions with her for that reason.

You could feign interest and get her to try and convert you, then question any loopy logic she uses in such a way that she feels obligated to answer you to save you from the WT's killer god. As long as you have good critical thinking skills, you shouldn't need to know a lot about the Bible or the WT to come up with questions. You can always pop in here for ideas if you are stuck, but be careful of advice that will scare her off. (The first person who suggests you should send her CoC should be smacked around the ears with a copy.)

Good luck

Chris

• kazar
    kazar

Welcome Tuber! Looking forward to hearing your future posts.

• Tuber
    Tuber

Black Sheep, thanks for the advice.

The main thing that is going to "stumble" my efforts (sorry, couldn't help myself) is the fact that she knows I'm about as atheist as they come, so she may see my feigning interest as the ploy that it is.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome Tuber and I am sorry that your step-mother and half-sisters are being deluded. Unfortunately, it sounds like you do not live close enough to your step-mother and half-sisters, so you are in a very difficult situation. What does your father think of his wife becoming a JW? I would recommend that you read Steve Hassan's books (e.g., "Combatting Cult Mind Control") to better understand how to overcome thought control. About the best that you can do is send Christmas and Birthday presents to your half-sisters and send emails and cards with pictures of you having fun to your step-mother and half-sisters. I know that your step-mother will probably send your presents back to you, but hopefully your half-sisters will wonder why.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Welcome Tuber.

Bangalore

• sizemik
    sizemik

Welcome Tuber . . .

Take seriously the advice to steer away from anything that may be construed as an attack. Once the alarm bells are set ringing . . . you're shot. It's a poisoning of the well, which will render you useless in your efforts for all time. I endorse ABibleStudents advice to read Steve Hassans book, "Combatting Cult Mind Control" . . . and become very familiar with it prior to making any moves whatsoever.

Even though you confess Atheism you can still take a non-threatening approach . . . even appear encouraging while asking innocent questions . . . the right questions and in the right way. They must see for themselves the flaws. Go gently and take your time.

When you come up with a possible approach . . . start a thread and post it here . . . you'll get valuable feedback.

All the best to you . . . if you succeed you will be doing them a huge favour.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Welcome Tuber. Sizemik advice is what I would follow. Something about cults in the way they use mind control. Any criticism no matter how small sets off red flags to the cultist. The WT is a master at that. Again welcome and looking forward to more of your post. Totally ADD

• Cameron_Don
    Cameron_Don

Hello Tuber,

Black Sheep said, "The primary doctrine is that Jesus selected the WT in 1919 to be God's sole channel of communication in our day. As long as they believe that, they will believe anything the WT says, regardless of how loopy it seems to you. Don't get into Bible discussions with her for that reason."

The book "Captives of a Concept" specifically deals with this one primary doctrine. You can get an idea about the book by hitting the "Search" button at the top of this page and enter "Captives of a Concept." There have been lots of discussions about the book on this forum.

Don Cameron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit