New here

by Tuber 98 Replies latest jw friends

• Concerned JW
    Concerned JW

Tuber this is a very negatively biased site against witnesses with information that your relative will realise eventually where you are getting it from because a lot of these are not very original attacks on witnesses. Jehovah's witnesses are a well respected mainstream religion something this site will not make clear. Steve Hassans books are not about main stream religions like Jehovah's witnesses.

You have done some research I see but it is very basic as well.

While "yahweh" is the most modern hebrew version of "Jehovah it would be odd to use "yahweh" in a bible when all the other names are transliterated into English who normally happily using the English "J" instead of "Y". Yeshua is the closest hebrew way of saying the English "Jesus" but we don't use that. So using "Jehovah" which is in the KJV psalm 83:18 and is the established and oldest English transliterated version of YHWH is perfectly fine.

Ancient hebrew was originally a vowelless written language, the consonants serve as sounds for vowels too. People would read YHWH and know how to pronouce it with just them letters. So YHWH is the whole and original name for Jehovah in written hebrew. The addition of vowel points to the original language was much later about 500 years and not always indicative of the original pronouciations. The Jewish superstition on Jehovah's name was not shared by early israelites and Jews who used it nearly 7000 in the hebrew scriptures and in psalms to be sung. The eventual removal and superstition on Jehovah's name was because of a misreading of a commandment in the bible about not blaspheming on God's name which they took to mean not using it at all. Jesus openly condemned this practise saying he had to "make his father's name known" to them.

ASV and NIV are both good translation but they do suffer from adherence to trinitarian theology and directly reflected on how they were translated. NWT is acknowledged to be an accurate translation.

Replacing a name with a title either "lord" or "God" 7000 times really adds to the inaccuracy of modern bibles and in fact led to indirectly to the confusion between Jesus and his Father Jehovah who both hold the title "Lord" which then helped lead towards the false teaching of Trinitarianism.

When someone personally gives you their name to use it shows an intimacy of friendship that the more formal use of titles lacks. Moses was accounted as Jehovah's friend so Jehovah revealed his personal name to him and as his people we also get that honor. When the jews rejected God's name they lost that intimacy of friendship. The bible is very clear Jehovah's people would use his name and come to know him personally and deeply.

• Curtains
    Curtains

so you have become a fully fledged witness now concerned JW?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Tuber this is a very negatively biased site against witnesses

Hi Concerned JW. Welcome to the forum.

This forum is just the sum of its members.

If there is any bias, it would be balanced by having more JWs in good standing joining and participating in the discussions.

Could you encourage the members of your family and local congregation to participate?

It might even be possible to outnumber the ex-members if you can drum up enough support.

Try starting a movement on Facebook or Twitter. Jehovah might bless your efforts.

Start with a prayer.

Cheers

Chris

• Curtains
    Curtains

great ideas chris - although my head hurts when I try to make sense of JW doctrine nowadays. But there are many here who would be quite helpful and would appreciate a meaty discussion with zealous jehovahs witnesses.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My family enjoys having meaty discussion with me too, Curtains.

Maybe they would like to join concerned JW in our discussions. I shall ask them tomorrow.

• Curtains
    Curtains

please do Chris and if they join I will be here to welcome them

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Tuber - In case you have not had much interaction with JW's, here is an example in the following thread, esp. pg 2 & 3.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/118175/2/Jehovahs-Witnesses-are-not-a-CULT

Notice the dynamic with a concerned JW.

• Tuber
    Tuber

Thanks for all the info guys, especially Black Sheep- do you have any particularly difficult questions, or any that, without raising red flags, lead a JW down the path of researching all the things they'd rather not?

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Did she get back to you about what "spiritism" is? I'd be curious to see the dialogue. If done carefully, rebel8's idea could be one piece of her finding out the bigger picture for herself. You'd have to do it in a way that doesn't scare her thinking you're a "faultfinder" or an "opposer," etc. It's so hard walking on eggshells. Their minds are being filled with fear of anyone questioning the organization they've gotten involved with. I might be wrong in suggesting this, but maybe, since the two of you have been discussing the credentials of the various translations, there could be a way to ask what scholars support the NWT and lead her to Johannes Greber, the spiritist.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Also, I still like your original question which is more about logic than the WT. You pointed out that in the same breath she says religion is mankind's biggest problem, and then she supports the Bible which is a book created by a religion. You're observation points out doubletalk, and I think it is worth exploring to engage her critical thinking skills.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit