Movies that resonate with you as an ex-JW or awake JW

by RayPublisher 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Armageddon - it had a ridiculous plot, terrible acting, and it was an utter waste of time. Seems like there was something else that resonated with JW life, too, but I can't remember.

Thankfully, Armageddon was only a couple of hours.

• Bella15
    Bella15

NOthing to do with it but for me Night at the Roxbury does it ... people have dreams, as silly as they may be or sound, people has dreams :(

• C6H12O6
    C6H12O6

V for Vendetta (totalitarian government --> totalitarian WT)

A Little Princess (Miss Minchin, the headmistress --> JW mother or WT, Becky, the servant girl --> lowly spiritual orphan)

• usualusername
    usualusername

Carrie.

• flipper
    flipper

" The Big Kahuna " with Kevin Spacey, Danny Devito in it as salesmen training a younger salesman who is a Jesus freak . the younger guy tries to convert potential clients to his religious beliefs instead of selling for his company as he's supposed to. A very intense dialogue ensues between the young guy and Kevin Spacey showing up the young mans lack of character and hypocrisy . Reminds me of the self righteous attitudes in JW's. A great movie. I highly recommend it

• Gayle
    Gayle

Not Without my Daughter (Sally Fields)

Thankfully, none of my 5 kids chose the JW religion.

• d
    d

1984, after I left it was Worlds Apart.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@Gayle - I loved that movie, and also read the book, which is even better. I never connected it with JWs, but yes, the extreme Islamists in that film have a few a traits in common with the JW structure.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Matrix - waking up to reality - you can never go back.

Shawshank Redemption - many years of being trapped and institutionalised yet plotting one's escape and finally freedom after crawling through a whole lot of s**t.

Truman show - our lives being controlled and watched and monitored.

American Beauty - scene where strict dad is policing son and beating him. His son's response "Discipline. Yes, sir, thank you for trying to teach me. Don't give up on me, Dad." The response that is expected at a JC.

Of Mice & Men - the dream of the new world will never happen.

The Life of Brian - the hypocritical pharasees are no different to JW's. What have the Romans ever done for us - the way JW's slag off the world yet they enjoy all the benefits of the police, doctors, blood donors etc. The Judean People's Front - JW's don't know who they've come from and can't keep up with what they believe.

mmxiv

• usualusername

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit