Movies that resonate with you as an ex-JW or awake JW

by RayPublisher 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

Children of the Corn was Freaky...I remember watching that when I was a kid.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Swing Kids - set in Nazi Germany and pitting friends against friends, sons against their fathers. I loved this movie when I was still 'in". Saw it again recently and it was shocking what a different experience it is to see it since learning TTATT!

JW culture is just as oppressive as the Nazi fanaticism. There was a great line in the movie that all JWs and anyone considering joining should know. An SS Officer says to a young man joining the Hitler Youth, "Be careful you know what you're getting into before you agree to something." (I'm paraphrasing, but it was definitely words to that affect.

Has anyone seen the relatively new movie, "The Shunning"?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Oh, yeah and definitely Worlds Apart.

Gotta see it.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

The musical "Les Miserables" also struck a cord with me, big time.

The character of Javert to me = the JWs. He follows laws and rules to the letter and he believes following laws is always good. He believes following laws makes him good. He believes that people who break laws are bad. He believes himself to be the 'goodest' of all and he believes he is doing God's work by catching all law breakers.

Javert has no mercy, he has no love.

The character of Jean Valjean to me = many disfellowshipped JWs who were forced to break JW rules in order to do what was right, in order to follow their conscience. Jean Valjean is criminal who stole a loaf of bread to eat, who spent years in prision, escaped, and spent years more in prison. When he finial got out on parole, no one would give him a job because he was a crimial. Eventually he breaks the law some more by creating a new, repsected and law-abiding identity. He makes a life for himself where he takes care of people and sacrifices everything for others. He runs from the law many times in order to take care of people he has promised to care for.

Jean Valjean is full of mercy and love.

So often in the JWs the ones who are following the rules are like Javert, on the wrong side of what is right, and those who are disfellowshiped are like Jean Valjean, on the right side of what is right.

Sometimes you must break a rule or a law in order to do what is right. The JWs (and Javert) do not understand this. To them, the rule is more important than the person.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@The Crushed - I got two different emails that may have originated with that sister or one like her from an asleep Dubb friend. They were ridiculous, long, ramblings about how bad the word "avatar" was as a Hindu Goddess, etc. Did they ever consider there might be another definition for the word? Most JWs I knew ignored that email and saw it anyway.

@Dmouse - Happy Feet would never have been on my list- but that could be SO good for trying to explore to the little ones why you are not going to meetings, leaving the JWs, etc.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

The truman show

Martha Marcy May Marlene

and all of the above.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

I tried to find "Worlds Apart" on Netflix, and a couple other streaming services but couldn't.

Wish I could download it but may have to buy the DVD on Amazon.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Blockbuster has Worlds Apart.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Everything is illuminated

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Just went ahead and ordered it on Amazon- anybody that wants to borrow it can PM me in a few days after I've watched it lol...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit