Did you REALLY like the music played at meetings? Did people in your cong. seem to like them?

by Chemical Emotions 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Poopsie, back in the 60s (in Australia anyway) before the records of the Kingdom songs first came out, the Society allowed classical music to be played at intermissions of the assemblies. But I never heard of classical music being allowed in the KHalls, though.

In the 70s, I remember we had a piano and someone used to play the Kingdom songs on it. When the recorded music came out I missed the sound of live music.

I didn't mind some of the music, as I loved music for music's sake. Even as a JW I liked gospel songs too, lol.

I'm glad I wasn't around to hear the killing of the songs with the latest songbook. I'm yet to hear anything positive about the new songs.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I have a faint memory as a kid of full bands at assemblies - somehow the music sounded much better lol. And my dad played violin in the bands way way back in the 50's so he always had a soft spot for that stuff.

• godrulz
    godrulz

The Great Hymns of the Christian Church (A Mighty Fortress is our God, etc.) trash theocratic junk because these writers knew God and glorified Him vs an organization. JW songs are similar to Mormon ones (except Mormons even have hymns about Joseph Smith...arrrggghhh). There is also a place for songs geared to children (Sunday School in Christian churches). Contemporary Christian music has a mix of good, bad, ugly.

• Diest
    Diest

DONT FEED THE BEARS

• godrulz
    godrulz

Yes, worship God in spirit and in truth....and don't feed the bears.

• Joliette
    Joliette

The kingdom melodies always were so damn boring and tedious growing up. You could never get those brainwashing songs out of your head, still

hard as a 28 year old woman to get them out. As a seven year old in the 1990's, I much rather listen to the early 90's stuff: New kids on the block, TLC,

boys 2 men, Michael Jackson,

Prince (before he went rubadub) Brandi, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Paula Abdul, or Madonna. I remember my mom would try to add 'a little soul'

to them. It was so funny watching them (my mom and dad) bob their heads to them. As a kid (at the watchtower sunday) I used to think, please let

this depressing shit be over

so I can get to the Sunday afternoon buffet in our city for fried chicken, mac n cheese, and bread pudding. LOL.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I loved many of the Kingdom songs--I admit, some were not so good. I was the piano player for many years at both the Kingdom Hall and sometimes at the assemblies. I would liven them up a little bit and got lots of compliments. Never learned the words too well as I was mostly just playing music. But occasionally a song gets into my head and it's hard to get rid of it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never really liked them. For a time, a few of the old ones did seem decent--until I realized that they were all based on false premises. Most of them were boring. Kingdumb Sxxx 18 reminded me of that song I Can't Make You Love Me--which I did not like, and the Kingdumb malady was even worse.

As for the new crop, I don't see how they even get away with calling it music. To me, it is just a way to strip all the joy out of people's lives so they have nothing more than the boasting sessions and that "new order" to look forward to.

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

The music is not my personal favorite, I prefer anything with a BASS GUITER, A 4-4 beat and some improvisation. However I must admit inner city witnesses sing with a lot more heart than suburban or rural witnesses. The singing in most congregations make an already difficult musical piece sound HORRIBLE!

I was always a closte GOSPEL music lover anyway.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I very rarely agree with Godrulz, so make the most of this one time. Yep that stuff is much, much better than the Kingdom melodies.

But I still think Satan's music is soooo much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2M6yV6mueg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit