Did you REALLY like the music played at meetings? Did people in your cong. seem to like them?

by Chemical Emotions 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

The only thing I liked about the music was the fact that my dear mother crapola played the piano for many years. I was always proud of her.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Useless, aren't they !.....and in response to the second question...No, the dubs do not like them either. Then as soon as they get to be familiar with them they change them every few years into ones that are even more banal.

I was only saying to a Witness today at the Hall, (yes I did go with Sis Blues!) that they always say that the "worldly influences" have now been removed but the one on the tape then playing sounded a lot like something I knew...He readily agreed.

I used to like quoting Gen Booth of the Salvation Army "Why should 'the devil' have all the best tunes?"

The uplifting gospel of the songs from the black churches of USA, eg Mavis Staples and the Blind Boys of Alabama are just wonderful...(putting on a cd now)

• St George of England
    St George of England

At our KH they always play the Sing to Jehovah - Vocal Renditions, before and after the meetings. People always comment that they sound like Christmas Carols or as one bro said, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

This is my idea of music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY3g_c8QUas

I would just love to swap the CD just before the meeting starts!

George

• godrulz
    godrulz

Christmas carols often have good theology/meaning. The black slave gospel music sung with passion/vibrancy is way to go for them. To convert Africans to Christianity and make them wear suits and ties was a crime, but to take away their heart gospel music and replace it with sanitized WT muzak is terrible. Let my people go (black churches are where it is at, but a black JW church would be too white, huh?).

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    but to take away their heart gospel music and replace it with sanitized WT muzak is terrible....GodRulz

It couldn`t be any worse than your Pentecostal Music..

With everyone Singing in Tongues and making up their own tunes to the original song..

It`s probably worse than a room full of Bag Pipes..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• factfinder
    factfinder

When I was an active witness I did like the Kingdom songs. There were too many for me to list here now...but, yes-I did like them. First we had the pink songbook and then the brown hardcover. I remember hearing the kingdom melodies 1 cassette (1980) at someones house- it was very beautiful and moving- I liked it alot. I loved hearing those melodies at the DC. ( I don't want to hear them anymore now!!!)

As for singing at the KH- well, I remember one brother and one sister who sang well, the rest...well- like me- can't sing! There were times depending on the song and which cong. I was in when there was enthusiasm in the singing. ( I was in 6 congs. in 5 kh's over the 30 years I was a jw.) But most of the time no- the cong singing was bland!

• Sargeant Pepper
    Sargeant Pepper

Even at my most zealous I thought that the music and songs were terrible.

I can only think of one crazy person who bought 'Kingdom Melodies' on cassette tape.

How bad they are is one of the many JW unmentionables.

• godrulz
    godrulz

We know the music/singing, etc. is dead (a high school band is more stirring), but can I have a sample of some of the lyrics? I would expect some lines to be biblical, good, worthwhile. It is a sin to make the Bible or worship boring.

• godrulz
    godrulz

I have a new related thread on JWs and prayer. Prayer is a priority for Christians but grossly neglected (like evangelism/discipleship for the average Christian). I would be interested in input on JWs and their prayer practice and how the WT approaches it (emphasize or not).

• KitchenWitDinah
    KitchenWitDinah

I liked some of the music...i just didn't like the way they were being sung in the halls. It griped me that folks would belt out their favorite pop tunes that came on the radio but would sing like mice in the kingdom hall

I remember complaining as a child about how how the songbook needed to be revamped, and that the guys in the back of the old songbook looked like they were singing their hearts out,so why shouldn't we? Israel was WELL KNOWN for being good musicians. JWs are well known for soul-less music.

Well, they've re-vamped the songbook, all right...and I'm glad I'm not there to sing that stuff because it is NOT what's up! They've simplified so many of the compositions, changed the meters to spoon-feed the music to people who didn't care to learn to sing it the right way, eliminated most of the prettier chord changes, and worst of worst, changed too many lyrics to praise the organization and field service attempts instead of praising God.

"Sovereign Lord, you are are maker, all creation comes from you..." and "Kiss the Son, lest God be angry..." those were my jams!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit