How many current teachings have not been altered at all?

by Paralipomenon 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

A point in another thread about the organization being directed by Holy Spirit made me think of this question.

Is there a single teaching from the start of the Witnesses that remains unchanged to this day?

I've spent a few minutes and haven't come up with a single current teaching that hasn't been altered somehow.

- Initially there wasn't a paradise earth, all were going to heaven

- Door to door was more public protests

- Magazines Titles were different

- Elders and MS are a new arangement

- 1914, changed from end of the world to Jesus' invisible return

- The Bible, rereleased own version

The Holy Spirit must have really been drinking back in the 1800's

• cantleave
    cantleave

God isn't a trinity

No Hellfire

• recovering
    recovering

no holidays now (ie xmas, thanksgiving)

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Immortality of the soul

• nugget
    nugget

Change to generation

Cross changed to torture stake

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think the only constant is that the end is imminent, Jesus is coming to "F^c* you up!"

Along the way, some abanodoned doctrines have never been altered.

The 1975 excuse, "We don't know how many years passed between Adam's and Eve's creation" was given as to why the end did not happen in 1975. It was never withdrawn.

Fred Franz's 7000-years creative days has been abandoned but not withdrawn, writings went on to say that the time periods were "thousands" of years, allowing older JW's to think "7 thousands" and newer JW's that were taught more science in school to think "several several thousands."

There are other examples of developed doctrine that was never completely withdrawn.

• clarity
    clarity

GB did not exist until 1970's.

Faithful & discreet slave was changed from 1 person (Russell) to fds "class".

All bible students had heavenly calling until Blutherford worried about numbers and made up the idea that after 1935 the only option was living on earth!

1935 door closing of heavenly calling then changed again to "well we really can't say" 2005 ???

Baptism vows changed drastically in 1985 from father/son/holy spirit to jehovah/publishing company!

Jesus was mediator for all ... but after 1979(?) jesus mediator ONLY for 144000! (even changed the scriptures to prove it, ie "not all")

No married bethelites at bethel until .... br knorr felt the need to marry (probably only to cover up his sexual orientation perhaps???)

Blood transfusion "commands" changed a few years back (for hemophiliacs sp?)but few knew about it. Change again 2009? to fractions etc OK!

Tons more!

clarity

edited to say ..... I can't think of much that hasn't fallen by the wayside.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

FDS (GB) knows best, you don't thus follow the leader teaching is one that isn't going away and there is no need for new light on this one.

• wobble
    wobble

I think Cantleave nailed the two that haven't changed since the time of Russell.

Even their concept of the divinity (or lack of) of Christ has changed since Chazzer's time.

Interesting thread Paralipomenon, thanks ! and I think you could ask this question of an active JW without raising alarm or annoyance.

Probably best to get them to go away and think about it, and get back to you.

As it really does boil down to those two, it puts more pressure on their claim that in 1919 Jesus chose his FDS on the basis of what they were teaching then, just those two vague things, about doctrines that are "not", so then ask "nothing positive to teach at the time then ?"

Watch them flounder, wait for bluster and bu***it. (Be forearmed as to what they were not teaching at the time.)

• Scully
    Scully

The only one I can think of is the belief that only the WTS offers accurate knowledge of god's plan, and ultimately salvation for its followers.

But, in essence, I agree that if CT Russell were alive today, the belief system he founded would be unrecognizable from the one it has morphed into over the past 125 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit