More on Saturday's drama: Endo-symbiotic theory mentioned not once but twice

by sir82 49 Replies latest jw friends

• techdotcom
    techdotcom

Even when I really was trying to buy the bullshit, I always dreaded when they would talk about science at all. Science was always a subject I gravitated toward and I read ALOT of outside material on the subject. Anyone who has any interest and ability to understand science is just gonna be going WTF when they are sitting at a convention or kindom hall and the speaker spouts something off trying to sound smart....friggan makes my head hurt.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

It makes much more sense to cite actual theory (especially out of context or with no context at all) than to cite something bogus. When those exposed to this cheesy little drama subsequently hear mention of endo-symbiotic theory they will shut down their brains and not hear another thing. Another arrow in the quiver of JW mind control. There is nothing more ludicrous than the amused sneer on the face of a Witness when mention is made of scientific theory about which they know nothing but have come to believe they know everything. Such wanton ignorance deserves nothing but contempt. Contempt for the Watchtower and contempt for those who swallow its misinformation with eager abandon.

• sir82
    sir82
    When those exposed to this cheesy little drama subsequently hear mention of endo-symbiotic theory they will shut down their brains and not hear another thing.

Interesting - I hadn't thought of it that way. Yes, that does make more sense.

"Endo-symbiotic theory? Oh, that was discussed in detail at our district convention (they even mentioned it twice!) and it was thoroughly debunked! Or at least I thnk it is, in that brochure we got last year. Anyways, it can't possibly be true, because if man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys? So, who wants to go to Dunkin Donuts now?"

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Mentioning that theory just adds it to the thought-stopping list. Something else you don't have to think about anymore, the GB already did it for you.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

They want to create the illusion of scholarship. Remember the CREATOR book? That was aimed at intelligent people. They want to "prepare" the flock to discuss difficult concepts at the door and to run intereference with what the kids will learn in school.

Most people that ascribe to evolution believe that those that believe in creation don't know the facts. WT wants to create the image that not only do JW's know the facts, they carefully studied them and judged them, in their infinite wisdom, to be false. By bringing up this theory now, when students bump into in in school their opinions will already be formed. This gives the R&F a feeling that they have been well-educated, but actually they were simply spoon-fed a few facts and a lot of opionion. Kind of like FOX news. Now they are convinced they know the truth about the Endo-symbiotic theory so their armor is intact, so to speak. They've been innoculated against reason. Fed just a tiny bit to make them immune to the fuller picture.

It's a sort of artificial intelligence. It's lazy. The R&F will not likely study this theory independent of the WT, but they have the sense the org did the work for them and prepared them for intelligent discussion. It's a big deal to make a person feel educated. The false confidence emboldens them to disagree with things they don't understand.

Now they can continue to believe in the image they have created, "See, I'm not ignorant. I know all about this scientific theory and in my infinite intelligence and wisdom I have judged it to be false. Now let me show you why."

I used to thiink that the org prepared me SO WELL for the ministry. They fed me these pseudo-intelligent bits and I was confident I could carry on deep scientific discussions at the door. Nothing the householder said would have an impact on me, because my opinion was already formed on shaky foundation, and the actual facts or bigger picture was not going to complicate that. They could fling facts at me like bullets from a machine gun, but they simply bounced off my armor made of "I've already considered this theory and deemed it to be false or inadequate". Only I hadn't. I had only been trained by WT to think so. The false sense of knowledge they gave me made it unnecessary to actually research and think critically.

I I tell a child that glass does not break when it's dropped, and I even demonstrate it by dropping a thick glass on its heavy base, then I have intoduced some doubt. If the child thinks critically and points to the millions of times that glass has broken when dropped, I can explain that it wasn't the impact that broke the glass, it was a flaw in the glass itself. When it was manufactured there was some microscopic imperfection that compromised the integrity of the glass. As a matter of fact, impact makes glass stronger because it causes the molecule to adhere even more tightly together, and I drop the heavy glass on its base again to prove it, then the child is innoculated against the truth.

When he goes out and tells his friends that dropping glass does not break it, his friends will look at him sideways. They will argue and reason. They will drop 20 glasses and prove their point. But he will simply dismiss the evidence because he knows the real reason the glass is breaking is because it has a flaw. He will feel superior in his knowledge. He knows about microscopic things and his friends have jumped to an amateur conclusion. Of course his friends will think he's whacked, but he will simply interpret their attitude as a lack of understanding.

I don't know if that made sense. WT is busy building an armor of misinterpreted facts and false intellectual confidence. In this way they protect the R&F from the truth.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

When those exposed to this cheesy little drama subsequently hear mention of endo-symbiotic theory they will shut down their brains and not hear another thing

"Endo-symbiotic theory? Oh, that was discussed in detail at our district convention (they even mentioned it twice!) and it was thoroughly debunked

LOL. I spent so much time trying to think my thoughts through and express them in the above post. Then you two come along and state the whole thing in 30 words or less. LOL I suck!

NC

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

"Endo-symbiotic theory? Oh, that was discussed in detail at our district convention (they even mentioned it twice!) and it was thoroughly debunked! Or at least I thnk it is, in that brochure we got last year. Anyways, it can't possibly be true, because if man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys? So, who wants to go to Dunkin Donuts now?"

Oh, but that is perfectly done.

I don't know if that made sense.

Very clear. Excellent analogy.

• agent zero
    agent zero

yes! i totally noticed that during the drama as well! my first reaction was to think "how strange that they would mention that so precisely, now people will research more about it!" but then i remembered... witnesses do not do research!!! two minutes into the next talk they wouldn't even remember the word "endo-symbiotic" anymore, if they even thought about it at all.

also i think, as some posters have already commented, that it's to give a sense of "oh we already learned about that" if ever it comes up.

also, if a young j-dub would start mentioning such topics, they could refer to that drama and caution him that he's falling for the same traps as "the young brother in the drama"

• agent zero
    agent zero

no room for george.. do you have a new picture every day?

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Thanks Mickey Mouse..
    Brought back memories....
    I started to look for the program to see how long this Drama was going to be then remembered I was Home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit