You had to go an ask me why I'm so angry?

by Mindchild 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Julie
    Julie

Hi plmkrzy,

You asked:
    :Been to a soccer game or a Little Leage game lately?

Why yes, I have one child involved in sports myself and likely a second one this year. I have certainly seen parents strongly encourage kids to succeed but have never seen anything other than a halting of activities and the child's complaints addressed as soon as there was a problem. I have never, ever seen a child forced to participate when ill or injured. I have never seen a child beaten for being ill. I have never witnessed such irrational behavior and terrible cruelty to a child at any sort of sporting event or recital/formal concert (another event I attend regularly).

Once though, after a Catholic service, my husband picked us up and a woman came out with her kids (before the crowds), didn't notice us and hit one of the children upside the head very hard, apparently he had misbehaved and embarressed her in a *religious* setting. He acted as all publicly abused children do, more embarrassed, seemingly hoping no one saw than an awareness of suffering from her mighty blow to the side of his head/face. Religion sparks passions unlike many other things. The more controlling a religion the worse it is it seems.

Just my opinions and observations.

Regards,
    Julie

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Try this one for size - bet it works:

Next assembly have undercover agents from child services hang close to the bathrooms. It is guaranteed that they will make many arrests of parents spanking the crap out of their kids.

Personally, I am not of he mindset that all spanking is abusive - but you will see LOTS of abusive spanking in the washrooms at any assembly.

MC - my sympathies go out to you. You and so many of my friends were badly abused and it was abuse sanctioned by BOTH religion and the culture of the day.

• Julie
    Julie

HI Gravedancer,

You said:

Next assembly have undercover agents from child services hang close to the bathrooms. It is guaranteed that they will make many arrests of parents spanking the crap out of their kids.

What a superb idea!!! I agree 100%

Regards,
    Julie

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Dearest Mindchild,
    I am so sorry for your pain. I am sure that you realize from therapy that anger is a proper feeling to go through.
    One thing I would like to mention that my couselor drilled into my head and that has helped me tremendously is : It is OK to feel how you feel. No one can tell you how to feel or take away how you feel. It is OK. Anger is a step you must take to work through the problem.
    Now if a person remains angry forever, then it is a problem. At some point you must work through it and move on. Learning to manage it and channel it is a definite step in the right direction.
    Good luck Mind Child!! Sounds like you are moving in the right direction!!
    TW

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

MC; I feel so bad for you to have something like that happen to you especially when you were feeling sick. That should have never happened. Sometimes what goes around comes around. I had a mean mother, and now I won't have anything to do with her, because I can't handle the verbal abuse she hands out. I never raised a hand to my children. I remember when I was little and I used to hear some parents beating their kids out back at the Kingdom Hall, it used to make me so upset. I guess I am just sensitive, but always felt bad for the children. Sometimes I would think maybe someone should take out the parents and beat the crap out of them and see how they felt. When there was a talk on the platform regarding discipline of children, that was a real hay-day for beatings for the kids. I hated being at the meetings on those days. If you had of been my child, I would not have even attended the service that day and stayed with you and took proper care of you till you felt better. HOW CRUEL PEOPLE CAN BE.

• LDH
    LDH

Mindchild,

I hope you found it in your heart to forgive, because it takes more of your energy to hate.

Maybe I could cheer you up?

When I was 4, I too had a vomiting spell. Only, it was at the Memorial! GASP!!!! Yes, I kept saying *I have to puke* but did anyone listen?

NOOOOOOO.

Therefore, I barfed all over two rows of people.

For once, we got to leave the meeting early.

And I didn't get spanked.

Lisa

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

MindChild;
    You are a very smart man. I think you gave your self some damn good advice. Best wishes to you I understand what your going through. I think it's kinda like comming to another crossroad. You are smart enough to take the right turn.
    plm

Hey Julie I don't disagree with the fact that people don't need to be slapping there kids around at all or anywhere. If you've ever come accross any of my replies to other threads you would see how I feel and felt about the mindless spankings of babies in the bathrooms. I have always thought it was discusting even when I witnessed such abuse as a child it shocked me. My point was and still is a parent this day and age has available to them through there community or their school's or the damn YMCA classes and programs and just simple counsling FREE to help anyone who wants to become better at their parenting skills. Just last night I was standing in line at K-Mart and this woman was slapping the shit out of her little 4 yearApprox) girl because there was something she wanted and started to cry because she couldn't have it. There no sense in that at all no matter how you want to look at it. As far as other places I have spent many years with my children involved in sports activity's and have seen some parents behave absoulty rediculas. I've seen parents get so pissed off at there kids because they embarrased them by not catching the ball or loosing a tourniment. I've seen little kids crying more over feeling they failed their parents expectations. That can be just as cruel.It all boils down to the individual parent who needs to get their priorities straight. Thats the only point I was making.
    plm

• Julie
    Julie

Morning Plm,

It seems you and I are actually of the same view. I have literally risked life and limb interceding on behalf of a child being abused. I am of very slight build and have not hesitated to step up to a very large woman and tell her to knock it off. Other times I have made it known I would interfere by loudly (as in enough to be clearly overheard) saying things like "If she hits that child I am *on* her" when witnessing verbal abuse.

Yep, believe me I have witnesses plenty of abuse, suffered enough of it to know that end of it and it is a great passion with me. I have never seen though, at a secular gathering, the sort of abuse MC recounts to us here in a public setting. But then again I have never attended an event sponsored by such a high-control group as the WT (of course not a secular group anyhow).

Warm regards,
    Julie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit