Inactive (i.e. not reporting) witnesses won't survive armageddon

by Mickey mouse 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mochamint22
    mochamint22

i've read several comments on this site in reference to placing magazines. the verbiage "selling" is continuously used. I know they push getting donations but no one really has to buy the literature. has this recently changed in the last 2-3 yrs since i've been out?

from all the yrs i spent (wasted, i might add) in service i can probably count on one hand the donations i got....here's a question guys: was it common for you to get donations in svc? did you always do that stupid shpiel about the worldwide work being supported by voluntary donations, "if you'd like to make a small donation, i'd be happy to accept it" aaaaaaaaaah i hated it...

on another note, commenting on this thread about reporting, i totally agree with the whold concept of reporting to be ridiculous. loved the term "bean counters" cuz its so true. my mother who's a "regular pioneer" seriously thinks that she will gain salvation by her hours in svc, cuz she does some pretty stupid stuff to get hours....also someone said the whole reporting 15 mins at a time was for disabled??? i must have missed that part cuz my mother does that ALL the time and rounds up to get more time.....ha ha..she isn't disabled...well, physically...

moe

• godrulz
    godrulz

I do not have to be a JW to understand the basics of reporting. I could be told by a JW or read the literature and figure it out in minutes. I also understand that it is wrong/unbiblical and Christians can be commended for not being manipulated like GB does JWs. You also don't have to speak in tongues like I do to give an opinion on it based on Scripture or talking to numerous Pentecostals (as I have with JWs in addition to researching their own literature).

• mochamint22
    mochamint22

i think they're just saying that there's some things that one can only really understand once in the situation. the concept of reporting is a very basic one and i agree that you dont have to be a jw to get that. but its the emotion or "life" part of it that really can't be broken down to that simple concept. it's just one of those things, you have to have lived it to get exactly where people are coming from. it's not just the black and white of it....

"You also don't have to speak in tongues like I do to give an opinion on it "

?????

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Am I missing something? Why is everyone so hung up on the reporting system?

Surely the reporting is the WT's way of assessing its effectiveness. As JW's see it, publishing is spreading the good news. (This having just read that article you quoted, oppostate.)

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

i knew a JW who was always talking about how he's not sure if he'll survive armageddon. In the end he chose to drive his car full speed against a wall. He was 35.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Stats and accountability may have a place in sales, etc., but to make it a tool for assessing character, loyalty to God/org., salvation stick, etc. is wrong and unprecedented for true Christians who freely share their faith without record keeping for men that can be used against you.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Chariklo...unfortunately, it is not about how effective the "preaching" work is, but rather it becomes a yard stick to determine how spiritual an individual JW is. If you don't make your hours, it is assumed you are spiritually weak. It is very unlikely you will be appointed an MS or Elder if you don't maintain a minimum number of hours. I guarantee that is a hot topic when the CO visits and evaluates current and future servants.

So much for tracking effectiveness...

• godrulz
    godrulz

It is about control, production, manipulation, not biblical necessity in the eyes of God.

• designs
    designs

You're talking about the Pentecostals, ok.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

We were always on the border so I did not expect to survive A. My poor grandmother was born-in. Her entire life she had a JW identity card and fulfilled all obligations. When she was in her eighties, she could no longer go door to door for physical reasons. She was denied a card and was very hurt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit