Hi, Newbie Here

by Iseenow 40 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

Welcome Iseenow !

I am in the U.K, i live in Mid-Kent, I was born-in in 1950, baptised at 12 and stayed in until 2008. as you can imagine I am a bit of an authority on JW's and the WT organization.

I assure you, I have never come across a prophecy that they actually made that came true. not one. I have had Elders tell me all sorts of things, but they are simply not true, they are repeating the half-truths they have been fed.

Do not do the work yourself, say to this Elder that you want him to show you actual copies of their prophecies. Say "You don't want me visiting those dodgy sites again do you ?"

As to 1914 for instance, look at what was actually said and it is nothing like they pretend, the same with the U.N popping up after WW2, the first instance of a mention of this is by N.H Knorr the president of the WT at the time, some months after it was announced in the press !

And so on, please investigate it all before giving them power over your actions and very thoughts.

If you want to know anything more, post here, or P.M me

Welcome again !

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Also, if you feel like continuing the doctrinal discussion with the elder, the 4/1/72 Watchtower has an article where the Watchtower identifies JWs and the earlier IBS as Jehovah's "prophets." Then Deut 18:20-22 should be used for comparison.

Then, if your elder tells you they made predictions that came true, ask him to show you. He will try to tell you that WWI was a true fulfillment of what they prophesied for 1914. It wasn't. They clearly prophesied for DECADES that "the time of the end" began in 1799, that Christ returned invisibly in 1874, and that Armageddon would come in 1914. NONE of what they prophesied came true.

It is on him to prove the truth to you. Not on you to accept what he says just because he claims it is true. JWs like to copout by blaming the listener when their explanations suck. Because they believe they'll be bloodguilty if they fail to teach you the truth, they ALWAYS assume whatever they say IS the truth, to assuage their guilt. It's a mind game.

Good luck with everything. Don't join this cult. You've already shown you're too smart for them.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

WELCOME Iseenow! Glad you're realizing the truth about "the Truth" before you're baptized and trapped. And good luck with your exam results.

About the 'we predicted the U.N.' thing - a good article to read is at http://user.tninet.se/~oof408u/fkf/english/un.htm and shows that there was nothing unique or spectacular about this 'prediction.'

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Thanks AnnOMaly. I take it that's Carl Olof Jonsson's essay? Well researched and after all this time it provides an answer I've never had to the WTS claims that they predicted the rise of the UN. Back when I was in the org I guess I vaguely accepted it (or was intrigued by its apparent success), but since I left and dug deeper into the various claims of the WTS, discovering all of them were lies or exaggerations, I assumed this one stank as well. That essay provides the confirmation.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome. It is good to see you started thinking about things early on and before baptism. You are young and living at home, so there is no rush to make any decisions. I would recommend over the next few years keeping peace with your mother and friends at the hall, but make friendships elsewhere as well. Then when you are older and financially stable you will be in a position to make a decision based on what you know is best for you, rather than being trapped by friendships and finances. Just don't get pressured into baptism,

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

CoC should be available through your library system. If not, I think www.freeminds.org sells them.

Also, visit www.jwfacts.org for lots of old WT quotes.

Ask that elder to document all the prophecies the WT has gotten right. Don't accept invisible parousias as "proof"! During the midst of WW I, the WT said that the war WAS the Armageddon of the scriptures, not exactly a correct prophecy about 1914!

JWs are always upset when you get them to doubt. If I'm heading in the wrong direction in my car, the best thing a passenger can do for me is to get me to doubt that I'm heading the right way. Then it's my responsibility to have the humility to check it out and to turn around when I find out I am wrong!

• bigmac
    bigmac

welcome iseenow--i'm another old geezer from England--the isle of wight--& ive just bumped a thread containing lots of UK members.

• Iseenow
    Iseenow

Mad Sweeny,

I did show him the scripture you mentioned a few days ago. He said that Watchtower is not Jehovah's prophet. Believe me, he is not convicing me. I am surprised he is ok with seeing that scripture and continuing as if it is nothing.

He said I should look at the Daniel's Prophecy book, which talks about the UN thing. I have actually read it and can't remember, but again unless they actually have a quote which with a prophecy, I am not buying it. As I said before I showed him a few quotes about the different prophecies including 1874, he is fine with it though. My mum, on the other hand, is also doubting things a bit after seeing the past mistakes.

• Ding
    Ding

Iseenow,

I'm not aware of any other organization that has published as many false prophecies as the WTS.

They try to have it both ways.

In the April 1, 1972 WT, p. 197, there was an article entitled, "They Shall Know That a Prophet Was Among Them."

Half the time they put the word prophet in quotation marks; half the time they didn't.

Guess who the prophet was...

...Jehovah's organization, of course!

They invited readers to examine the record and then gave a santized version.

www.jwfact.org documents their false prophecies; get the citations and show them to your mum in the originals.

• agent zero
    agent zero

hello, and welcome to the forum!

as a sidenote, if someone could PM me the .pdf copy of CoC please, that would be GREAT!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit