Hi, Newbie Here

by Iseenow 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I agree, don't get baptized. Otherwise, just keep your mind open, learn all you can, and don't rock the boat until you can get out and support yourself.

• kazar
    kazar

Welcome Iseenow! I am so glad you came here. Your story was is very interesting and I am looking forward to your future posts.

• Iseenow
    Iseenow

Thanks guys. I didn't think I would get babtized with what I know now, and looking at your comments, I definately will not, nnless the elder can some how miraculously come up with an reasonable explanation.

"They always throw the "revival of the United Nations" into the ring,"

Yeah he did say something about the UN being formed after WWII.

"The problem is that on one hand they say they are God's mouthpiece, so you better believe and obey them or you'll die .... and then when they get it wrong (as they have repeatedly, just like Harold Camping) they say, "Well, hey, we're only human!" You can't have it both ways."

Told him that, only actual reply I got was "I can see your point there". JWN really helped me with the counter arguments in those convos.

"Have you read Crisis of Conscience and Captives of a concept? "

No, but have heard that CoC is really good. I would like to read it, do you know if it is available in libraries or something?

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi Iseenow,

It's hard to believe that your are of such a young age. You're at the age when I became baptized a few years ago (like in 1956).

Yes, they don't claim inspiration but they claim being spirit-directed (go figger). You may want to check out this link on that topic.

You don't mention their contradictions and that's a biggie. How about 8 flip-flops on one of their teachings. You'll find that all here.

Wishing you the best,

Len

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Iseenow, I couldn't find a copy of CoC in any UK libraries. I have a hardcopy and a PDF, I would happily loan the book to you or email the PDF.

• Iseenow
    Iseenow

"Iseenow, I couldn't find a copy of CoC in any UK libraries. I have a hardcopy and a PDF, I would happily loan the book to you or email the PDF."

Thanks for the offer, but I would not want to you to lend a book to someone you do not know, I mean something could happen to it between the depature and destinations and when in my possession. Would not like that to happen. My Mum or people visiting might also get suspicious if they saw it.

The PDF version sounds good though. It would be great if you could email that.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome Iseenow. Have you read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control") or visited his website ( www.freedomofmind.com )? I checked out "Combatting Cult Mind Control" from a library in the USA. If you want to read abridged information about "Combatting Cult Mind Control", I wrote the following threads about "Combatting Cult Mind Control": Combating Destructive Mind Control – Part I and Combating Destructive Mind Control - Part II on JWN. If you want to read how to possibly adapt Steve Hassan’s techniques to born-in JWs you can read Combating Destructive Mind Control - Part III . Steve Hassan might give you some ideas about dealing with your mum and brother. You could also post specific questions to members of this forum, who have had similiar experences.

I would also suggest not getting baptized as a JW until you have absolutely no doubts, and do it for yourself and not to please other people.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Welcome Iseenow to the forum. Ask you elder friend why the great crowd does not have Jesus as there mediator. Ask him why is it only those on the GB that runs everything and the rest of the anointed have no say. After all they are all brother and sisters of the little flock. I think these question will help you see their answers do not go along with what the bible has to say. One question that got me thinking was "Why do they have Jehovah's name being used in the NT" Then with the reference bible turn to the back and find Jehovah's name and read why they use it in there NT version" That one got me thinking alot. I hope this will help. Good luck to you and again welcome to the forum. Totally ADD

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Welcome Iseenow. I'm also from UK.

Thanks for joining and posting. My advice, for what it is worth, is please don't do what I did. Don't just drift along putting your doubts to the back of your mind. One day they will come back with a pent up vengeance.

I, too, had many questions when I was your age which I was given non satisfactory answers to, by the elders. I just thought to myself, ''Ah well, my family and friends are all Witnesses, I'll just carry on''. I wanted to eventually get married and so had to go through the baptism.

Get baptized, get married, have kids. All the time still attending meetings. But deep down not believing a single solitary word of it.

Eventually I cracked and left.

Luckily for me, my wife and children have left too. Imagine the heartache, though, of those whose partners and children do not leave.

You can still ask questions now, of course, because you're not baptized. If you do get baptized you cannot question anything. Or at least you cannot question the answers you are given.

• cantleave
    cantleave

iseenow - check you PM's (click the envelope on the top right ---- you may need to click a couple of times).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit