The JW's dependence on WT literature.

by Knowsnothing 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Isidore
    Isidore

I found a scripture just now.

"This is the letter of the Apostle Paul, to the Church of the Jamaicans.

Greetings brothers,

I was wrong about everything. No God can save you. You must do the work yourself. We only show the way.

May the Buddha bless you!"

Now, see how easy that was?"

What ever makes you happy. If belittling makes you feel better about your position, peace be with you.

• Isidore
    Isidore

"Whoa RC person,

Prove based on reliable evidence that these Early Church Fathers knew St. John? I doubt it very much. Church legend may say it. Legend can be true but it is not proof. I'm also thinking about Six Degrees of Separation. When I read ancient documents, the church conferences and fathers are primarily Middle Eastern and Northern African. Rome would also make sense since it was home of IMperial Rome. Today, NY, London, Paris, Tokyo and Beijing would have importance.

I respect the RC Church but most adherents believe ancient legend (most of it from the Middle Ages). It stuns me when I look at medieval and Renaissance art that the museum has to translate tons of extraBiblical legends and plant/floral designations. The Church itself has acknowledged that much of its history is fabricated.

I don't believe we would have a church today in a universal sense without the Roman Catholic Church for good and bad. Much of it is attractive to me. In fact, I am Anglo-Catholic. There is no proof Peter was bishop of Rome. Paul's letters show Rome was central. The UN is NY, not Ohio."

You are certainly entitled to believe what you want about the early church fathers. The research that I've done has satisfied me, and it has for many anti-Catholics that have converted to the Catholic Church. You certainly have not been the first to question their veracity. I would suggest visiting New Advent or Catholic Answers to research this more deeply.

I don't mean to be rude to anyone here, but my intent was to dialogue with Godrulz. I really can't devote the time necessary to respond in kind to all of the posts. Have a good night everyone.

May the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with all of you

• designs
    designs

They come, they Evangelicize, they leave.

So should we become-

1. Catholic

2. Pentecostal

3. Fundamentalist

4. Eastern Greek Orthodox

5. Other

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

I wasn't belittling. I was showing how silly it is to quote something ostensibly written/said by a major religious figure which not only contradicts everything he said, but which also just doesn't sound like him. Not to mention other inaccuracies, such as the redundancy of "brahman priest," or the sheer unlikelihood that even if this text did exist, that any evangelical christian would a) have been in Thailand in 1958, b) would know Pali even know, or c) would have known Pali (an extinct language) in 1958 and have been in Thailand. Even if this person had existed, he was certainly either dishonest or incompetent in, among many other things, translating any word from Pali as "sin." And that's dropping the assumption that the quote wasn't a total forgery.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Since we're typing about different religions, maybe I can help Mad Sweeney direct this back to WT literature.

One time, I spotted two Mormons on the street, so I caught up with them.

I didn't hijack their ministry by relying on the WT mags.; which I left in the car. We spook like real people,

they nodded to a lot of the scriptural references I mentioned. We all knew that nobody was going to change,

but at least we talked peacefully, without religious leaders egging us against each other.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Buddhism/Eastern religion are not coherent worldviews. Buddha was looking for truth, a way, etc. It is an atheistic religion. He is dead. Christianity is unique because Jesus is God risen from the dead.

Buddhism

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

LOL

Isn't that a bit like chiding me for believing in fairytales, and immediately proceeding to tell me how you were visited by the tooth fairy last night, who happened to be riding an invisible pink unicorn?

Like Thomas Paine said, y'all can't prove nothing without reference to "books of pretended revelation."

• SparrowAmongMany
    SparrowAmongMany

its no different to the isrealites learning Gods laws through Moses

Unfortunately, we dont all have a direct line to communiate with God. He has always used a specific channel whether it was Noah, Enoch, Moses, the prophets, Jesus or the Apostles.

having the bible is not enough....it needs to be explained.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I recall it being said on more than one occassion that "We know that the Watchtower is more important than the Bible :

- 'Christendom' has been reading the Bible for centuries, and it has done them no good!"

Bill.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    its no different to the isrealites learning Gods laws through Moses
    Unfortunately, we dont all have a direct line to communiate with God. He has always used a specific channel whether it was Noah, Enoch, Moses, the prophets, Jesus or the Apostles.
    having the bible is not enough....it needs to be explained.

Well, I would say it is different.

If I am an Isrealite in the time of Moses, and I just finished crossing the parting Red Sea, you bet I'm going to listen to what Moses says about God.

I recall it being said on more than one occassion that "We know that the Watchtower is more important than the Bible :
    - 'Christendom' has been reading the Bible for centuries, and it has done them no good!"
    Bill.

Lol. Then why didn't God also make the Watchtower along with the Bible from the beginning?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit