The JW's dependence on WT literature.

by Knowsnothing 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• carla
    carla

I have had this battle with my jw many times!

Why don't jw's just read the Bible?

They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such 'Bible reading', they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom's clergy were teaching 100 years ago. WT Aug 15, 1981 p28-29

By their own admission, at least to in my mind, they admit that if you read the Bible alone you will no longer believe wt theology but in fact believe in things such as the Trinity, heaven, hell, soul, etc...

"a FREE Wt-FREE Bible study"

• dgp
    dgp

I would like to offer an alternative reason of why religious organizations such as the Catholics and the Watchtower insist in your following their interpretations. The statement is not mine, but Isaac Asimov's:

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."

That is why they "help you understand it".

• Isidore
    Isidore

Godrulz, some questions for you. From where did Christianity receive Sacred Scripture? In other words, who determined the canon of the bible, i.e., what was put in and in what order?

And one more question. What is the pillar and foundation of truth for Christians? Thank you for your answers.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Asimov now knows that he was wrong (and so does Sagan). It is a stupid statement out of ignorance and arrogance.

Isi: apparently Catholics had something to do with canonicity (odd that it is not a problem for JWs who use it except Apocrypha cf. Protestants).

The Holy Spirit inspired Scripture, the original autographs. The wealth of manuscript evidence supports the accurate transmission of it. The same Spirit that inspired it worked providentially to ensure that the canon was complete, closed, accurate. There is a divine and human factor. The order of Scripture has varied from Jews to Christians, etc. I am reading a chronological Bible right now. There were no chapters and verses. These were added by men and are not inspired. The Pauline letters are generally from largest to smallest, not chronological.

If you are serious, sincere, do your homework with a resource like this:

Bible If you are an insincere skeptic who prefers ignorance, don't waste our time.

The Bible is the objective standard of truth, but it must be translated and interpreted properly (leaves WT out).

• cofty
    cofty

Actually Asimov is correct, nothing would drive more people away from theism than bible reading.

If god inspired teh bible why did he let the conclusion to Mark get lost? Why are there as many manuscript variations as there are words in the NT?

• godrulz
    godrulz

The Greek MSS variations are 99% in agreement. Any disagreement affects no significant doctrine or practice. No other work of antiquity that you accept as accurate has a fraction of this evidence so close to the original writings. Your ignorance of textual criticism is noted. If the conclusion to Mark was lost, why do we have it (there is more than one MSS family)? We know the Johannine Comma is an interpolation, so if it is not in the best and oldest MSS, we reject it. I believe Mark 16 has merit, so we note the issue and make an informed decision (that does not affect anything since the principles are reiterated elsewhere).

Hundreds of millions have come running to God after reading the Bible. A few atheists have used it as an excuse to reject God because of their ignorance and agenda (the most prominent atheist, Anthony Flew, became a theist before death, but not a Christian. C.S. Lewis was not an idiot, but an expert on myth. He knew Scripture was divine historical narrative, not myth, and did become a Christian).

• cofty
    cofty

Mark ends with not a word about the most important event in the gospel. The women went home and said nothing becasue they were afraid - THE END

Obviously the last page got lost - where the hell is it god, don't keep us in suspense?

• godrulz
    godrulz

You might have a point if the Gospels were not complementary. Each writer has a target audience and theme in mind. Eyewitnesses do not always describe the trunk, ear, leg, etc. of elephant, but a mosaic is formed.

Mark 16? The most important event in the gospel is that Jesus rose from the dead as promised! This is before your 'lost' section. Don't quit your day job. You are a lousy theologian.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

You know godrulz, the more you write the more you sound like every die-hard JW I've ever known in my life.

• Isidore
    Isidore

Godrulz, please read 1 Timothy 3:15 and then please share your thoughts on Paul's claim.

It's dinner time, so I'll address the rest of your response in a bit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit