The JW's dependence on WT literature.

by Knowsnothing 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Isidore
    Isidore

Libery93:

In the Buddhist Scriptures, there is a prophecy from approximately 500 B.C. of the "Holy One" who would come. One who would lead the people away from the old way, and introduce a new way. Read this account of Buddha's prophecy:

An old Brahman priest asked Buddha: "What should we do [to be saved]?

The Buddha answered, "....look for another Holy One who will come and help the world and all of you in the future."

Then the Brahman priest asked, "What will the characteristics of the Holy One be like?"

The Buddha answered him, "The Holy one who will keep the world in the future will be like this: In the palm of his hands and in the flat of his feet will be the design of a disk, in his side will be a stab wound; and his forehead will have many marks like scars. The Holy One will be the golden boat who will carry you over the cycle of rebirths all the way to the highest heaven [Nirvana]. Do not look for salvation in the old way [trying to merit salvation]; there is no salvation in it for sure. Quit the old way, and there will be a new spirit like the light of a lightening bug which will come down from the sky above to live in all of your hearts, and you will be victorious over all of your enemies. Nobody will be able to destroy you. If you die, you will not come back to be born in this world again. You will go to the highest heaven."

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

Of course there are. The four seals that mark all phenomena.

All compounded things are impermeant. Nothing that exists lasts forever.

All emotions involve pain. At least relatively speaking.

All phenomena are without any fixed, inherent nature.

Nirvana is beyond extremes. There is no "heaven" to go to. The final accomplishment consists only in removing what obscured our original nature.

Buddhism is the only religion that can pass the "Paine test." As Thomas Paine said, all religions, and particularly those based on the Bible, contain things that offend our sense of reason, that impinge upon our inherent dignity by trying to get us to believe wild fairy tales about virgins getting knocked up, and recommendations to practice cannibalism. These are things that make so little sense to the mind of one who truly examines them that it is possible to have no belief of them but in words.

At least that's my opinion. You may differ, and unlike some, I don't think an all-loving god is going to spend the rest of eternity torturing you for it. :-p

• designs
    designs

The United Nations of Beliefs......

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

Isidore, do you have a cite for which sutta or sutra that came from, or is that merely apocrypha? I have to note that all forms of Buddhism have always completely rejected any belief in sin, and belief in an external creator god with the power to save even himself, let alone humanity.

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

Elaborating, Buddhists have always been totally clear that even God with a capital G must eventually die.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Whoa RC person,

Prove based on reliable evidence that these Early Church Fathers knew St. John? I doubt it very much. Church legend may say it. Legend can be true but it is not proof. I'm also thinking about Six Degrees of Separation. When I read ancient documents, the church conferences and fathers are primarily Middle Eastern and Northern African. Rome would also make sense since it was home of IMperial Rome. Today, NY, London, Paris, Tokyo and Beijing would have importance.

I respect the RC Church but most adherents believe ancient legend (most of it from the Middle Ages). It stuns me when I look at medieval and Renaissance art that the museum has to translate tons of extraBiblical legends and plant/floral designations. The Church itself has acknowledged that much of its history is fabricated.

I don't believe we would have a church today in a universal sense without the Roman Catholic Church for good and bad. Much of it is attractive to me. In fact, I am Anglo-Catholic. There is no proof Peter was bishop of Rome. Paul's letters show Rome was central. The UN is NY, not Ohio.

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

The Buddha was also EXTREMELY clear that salvation comes from works ALONE and that EACH PERSON SAVES HIMSELF, no other being can do it.

• Isidore
    Isidore

Liberty93:

"Permission was granted to copy these Buddhist Scriptures regarding the prophecy of the Holy One (Jesus) from Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai Province. The person who gave permission was Phra Sriwisutthiwong in Bangkok. It is guaranteed that this copy is accurate according to the original, that there is no error in transmission, which is in the book of the district headman, the religious encyclopedia, volume 23, book #29. This inquiry was made on October 13, 1954 A.D. (Buddhist era 2497). Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand."

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

Yes, I read the article. Now what Sutta did this come from?

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

I found a scripture just now.

"This is the letter of the Apostle Paul, to the Church of the Jamaicans.

Greetings brothers,

I was wrong about everything. No God can save you. You must do the work yourself. We only show the way.

May the Buddha bless you!"

Now, see how easy that was?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit