Theology

by sabastious 136 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I did not watch more than a few seconds of the video.

Stay ignorant then. You have to to keep your faith, just like JWs, Mormons and Branch Davidians

• godrulz
    godrulz

Like Dawkins, atheists and agnostics have faulty reasoning too many times. Their arguments can be refuted. The logical fallacy has been misused by anti-theists, so I don't buy their faulty thinking. If he is applying it correctly, he is not refuting Christianity, just one specific scenario that has alternate possibilities (refuting Calvinism is not refuting Scripture/Christianity). Lame arguments are not persuasive. If they are valid, I can agree with them, but it is not a threat to a biblical worldview. There are 1000s of videos we could watch and agree/disagree with. We need to think critically, something cultists (and apparently ex-cultists and even Christians) do not always do. Dawkins is honestly a dope in his ignorance of religion.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

We need to think critically, something cultists (and apparently ex-cultists and even Christians) do not always do.

You said a mouthful there buddy - too bad you can't see that you're guilty of it yourself. But if you want to waste your life believing in a murderous tribal god, have at it. Your beliefs are really no different from any of the religious beliefs that have existed for thousands of years in many forms. Hopefully one day humanity will be rid of these prejudical and damaging 'faiths'.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

An atheistic theologian is an oxymoron, emphasis on moron.

Those who think Dawkins is a genius are fools.

Dawkins is honestly a dope in his ignorance of religion.

• godrulz
    godrulz

At least I don't see a monkey in the mirror when I look at it.

• Nickolas
  • Nickolas
    Nickolas

An atheistic theologian is an oxymoron, emphasis on moron.

Back on topic allow me to paraphrase something I've already said. There are people who were so dedicated to the study of God that they became theologians who subsequently lost their faith. Yes an atheist would not want to dedicate all that time to something he thinks does not exist. Isn't theology all philosophy, though? Other ologies don't require belief at all. You don't have to believe in biology to become a biologist. Same with chemistry, although the earliest form of chemistry, alchemy, did. Another is astronomy and, again, it finds its roots in astrology, which was a study that like alchemy required belief in something irrational. You don't have to believe in myths to study mythology - it is usually a given that you do not - just as you don't need to believe the fantasies written by J. R. R. Tolkien in order to become expert in them. I appreciate that there will inevitably be atheist theologians, but are there any theologians who were atheist when they set out to become theologians? I would guess not. In order to find out as much as you can about God, it helps a great deal if you love Him first. Why else would you bother? What troubles me though is how someone can go from loving God so much that he wants to learn everything he can about Him and then finds out that He isn't real. That's got to be tough.

• bohm
    bohm

I did not watch more than a few seconds of the video.

Ah. Any unhealthy group can tell its members what to hear or not to hear, but it take a true cult to install a mentality where its members will censor their information they see without knowing they are censoring themselves. That is a vital part of what is known as information control and you, sport, are doing it right now to yourself.

I predict the rationalisations you come up with will be exactly the same kind JWs apply when they censor themselves. Primarily you will rely on various add-hominems and you will think you know what he is saying, without that being the case at all.

• godrulz
    godrulz

I have full freedom to watch the video, but it sounds like nothing new. I am not afraid to agree or disagree with the content based on merit vs source. Since there is no end to posts and info, I am selective in what I waste my time on. Since you don't care about my opinion, I will be selective.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Belief affects practice (orthodoxy/orthopraxy). If I am going to die for my faith like early and modern Christians have, I want to die for the truth, not a lie. Paul's letters were half doctrinal with the latter half being the devotional, practical outworking of it. We all do theology, but some do it well and others botch it up.

I want pure water, not polluted water (and I am the spawn of Satan for thinking this way?). At its extreme, bad theology leads to the end result of Jim Jones and David Koresh (not to mention the innocent deaths of those who embrace the JW blood error, a classic e.g. of bad theology/exegesis/practice).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit