Theology

by sabastious 136 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I enjoy theology immensly.

It challenges me, I find it remarkable the quantitiy fo research that has been done through out history, the works of Augustin, Justin Martyr, Aquinas and so many others in the past and the amazing works of Metzger, Bloomberg, Wright, Craig and so many others in the present and that is just in Christianity alone !

• wobble
    wobble

I too enjoy it P.Sac, and I enjoy comparing how the great thinkers have wrestled with the same problems, the existence of God, the Intelligent Design, the problem of evil etc etc. From Aristotle through St Anselm to the modern philosophers and theologians these, and many other questions have been thrashed out.

When we debate such matters on here, we are merely standing on the shoulders of giants.

Different conclusions have been come to, or sometimes none, just a choice of possibles, but fascinating stuff.

Theology by its very definition is not a science, it is really an art, like poetry say. It still has great value, but this is dimiished by those making claims for it that are not correct.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I love theology and find it fascinating.

However, as one of The Ancestors once said, "We have too much theology and not enough kneeology."

Syl

• sabastious
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Thomas Paine is the shizz!

And the Theramin Trees dude on youtube is awesome, too!

• sabastious
    sabastious

I wish I had an english accent.

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think I could do one well enough to fool Americans but I doubt I could fool true British folks.

• godrulz
    godrulz

(video) Calvinists would say that if someone becomes an atheist, they were never really a true Christian. As a free will theist, I would say a former Christian who is now an atheist is an apostate. They also may have had a false, counterfeit conversion and thus were not a true Christian. The logical fallacy must be understood and applied reasonably.

Those who think Dawkins is a genius are fools.

If the WT understood theology (the basis for their views is authoritarian structure like Catholic magisterium, not the Bible at the end of the day). They list Luther, Wycliffe (trinitarians) as true heros of the faith, yet consider Russell and Arius in the same category (despite the former being trinitarian and the latter being Arian/anti-trinitarian?!). Theology is coherent, not incoherent.

Theology proper is still biblical truth about God and His world. Comparative religions/apologetics deals with the false views of god (s).

• sabastious
    sabastious
    (video) Calvinists would say that if someone becomes an atheist, they were never really a true Christian. As a free will theist, I would say a former Christian who is now an atheist is an apostate. They also may have had a false, counterfeit conversion and thus were not a true Christian. The logical fallacy must be understood and applied reasonably.

I get it you attack the position the video maker holds rather than the video's contents.

-Sab

• godrulz
    godrulz

I did not watch more than a few seconds of the video. It is not uncommon to misapply logical fallacies to suit one's agenda. My point is that he is probably assuming Calvinistic views are Christian, but I, as a Christian, disagree with those assumptions (so he attacks a straw man I suspect, but I would have to watch the video).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit