Danish article about shunning. Very interesting.

by worried 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

Thank you for posting this! All the best to the Danish ex jw's!

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

worried I have sent you a PM (the little envelope in the top right corner of the screen).

MM.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I have seen the film three times now - it always moves me (I am a bit of an emotional wreck!!). I'm glad the message is getting across in Denmark, lets hope some other European countries start to ask similar questions.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    The spokesperson for jehovah's witnesses in Denmark, Erik Jørgesen, denies that apostate members are considered mentally ill.

He should have to explain this excerpt from his own Watchtower:

"Well, apostates are “mentally diseased,” and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings." WT 15 June page 16

"Frafaldne er ’syge i sindet’ og prøver at inficere andre med deres illoyale lære."

This Watchtower is still available for download on the official website.

Engelsk http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/w_E_20110715.pdf

Dansk http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/w_D_20110715.pdf

Tak skal du ha

Chris

• unshackled
    unshackled

Beat me to it, Black Sheep. That line jumped out at me too and was about to post that WT quote. How does he wiggle out of that one, or the WTBS for that matter?

Worried, thanks for posting...very interesting. And welcome.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Just went to the link and using Google Translate, this is how it translates that portion:

The spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses in Denmark, Erik Jorgensen, rejects that renegade members regarded as insane.

"But with regard to follow the right lessons, they have a sick view of things. And the Bible has a clear guide to how to deal with apostates, "said Erik Jorgensen.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I think he should be publically humiliated for that statement

• mummatron
    mummatron

I hope something comes of it as Denmark's politicians have the power to take it further through the courts which could have massive repurcussions for the society's European branches. The WTBTS need to tread very carefully with this as being a registered religion in Denmark, they may fall under the defnition of a 'public authority' in the EU Human Rights Act. In which case, the WTBTS is breaching Articles 8, 9, 10 & 11 of the Convention. I've listed the key points of those Articles below. Note how they can be applied to JCs, DF'ing and shunning.

Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
      Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief, in worship, teaching, practice and observance.
      Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. this right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers.
      Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and to freedom of association with others, including the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.
      http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html#C.Art1
  • Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I had to attend an equality and diversity training session for work today and part of it was about your human rights in the UK and this organization was mentioned http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/ I had a wry smile to myself when the slide came up listing my basic human rights and I totted up in my head how many the borg violates. But then, they're a religion therefore untouchable, in which case human rights organizations are paper tigers.

• nugget
    nugget

I wish them well in their enterprise. The society condemns itself with it's own publications and the attitudes of those that speak for them. To metaphorically kill someone so they are dead to friends and relatives should not be handed out as a punnishement as liberally as it is and certainly not in such a way as to violate basic rights. What is allowed in religion should not conflict with what is allowed in other walks of life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit