As of today, I will no longer be one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

by Knowsnothing 68 Replies latest jw experiences

• unshackled
    unshackled

Hang in there Knowsnothing. Those "what if this is the real deal?" thoughts fade away with time. It isn't logic speaking to you, it is the years of indoctrination and programming. My 2ยข is don't talk to the elders anymore. No matter how well you're prepared you're just not going to get anywhere with them. But you can still continue to try help your mom open her eyes.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Hi Knowsnothing,

As a non-jw I cannot give detailed advice, but I've been in a couple of very stressful family situations. If your objective is to get through to your mother, it might help to slow things down a little. That would give you more time with her real personality, and hopefully reduce the chance of ultimatums resulting from the great stress you both feel.

Perhaps say that you want time to consider what the elders have said, and also time to talk it through with her. Be affectionate and reasonable. In discussions, take one topic at a time, and research it carefully first. I found jwfacts a great resource.

Best wishes to you in this difficult time. I respect your integrity and hope the situation turns out well.

Retro

• Ding
    Ding

Knowsnothing,

If you want to pursue the organization exposure angle, you might point out that Pastor Russell wrote in an 1895 Watchtower, "Beware of organization; it is wholly unnecessary." Sept. 15, 1895, p. 216

The WT claims that in order to attain salvation a person has to join Jehovah's historic Christian organization and submit to its authority.

If this claim is false, then the WT is wrong and is misleading people about salvation.

So let's suppose for the sake of argument that they're right.

That means that Brother Russell was not saved because by his own admission, he did not join any existing organization or submit to its authority. He created a separate group of Bible students which Judge Rutherford later turned into the very kind of organization which Brother Russell warned against and said was unnecessary.

This history shows that the WTS is NOT the heir to the first century Christian congregation that it claims to be.

If you'd like to PM me to discuss this or anything else you think might be helpful, please feel free to do so.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

Knowsnothing, I sent you a pm.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Nobleheart, message read. I replied.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Please don't talk to the elders again, because it will increase your chances of being df'd for apostasy. Just keep up the "I need to think about it for a while", so you'll have a little more time to work on your mother. Even if she doesn't come around before you da or are df'd, she may have a change of heart when she ses how happy you are to be free.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Congrats and I agree with JB the elders will only dog you with useless rhetoric and WT propaganda and conditioning.

• ziddina
    ziddina

^What Jamie - and others - have said...

You might want to FADE...

Look up "fade" on this site. There are many good threads on how to do it successfully. Be sure to ignore the nay-sayers who want EVERYONE to immediately jump ship, irregardless of consequences to family members who are still Jehovah's Witnesses.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd sit down and write out everything that makes me unsure about the organization. Then I'd lock it away where my mother and any snoopy JW couldn't see it, and THEN I'd begin thinking like a 'spy'...

That is, I would prepare to play the role of a JW whose 'faith' was briefly rattled, but who came back to the 'fold'... And then, as I mentioned above, I'd start to F-A-D-E...

At the same time, I would also build an escape route... Make "worldly" friends - but choose them carefully. Avoid the potheads and alcoholics - find someone who also believes in the bible but doesn't get dogmatic about it. Look among your neighbors for a decent person that you can talk to - one who KNOWS HOW TO KEEP HIS/HER MOUTH SHUT.

GET a better education so that you can support yourself financially. Doesn't have to be a four-year college at this point; a decent trade-school education in a good trade could do. You'll want to be able to have your own space eventually - it will help reduce the pressure.

DON'T GET MARRIED to a 'fellow' Jehovah's Witness - if you do, it would become MUCH more difficult to get out.

Remember, you're building an ESCAPE ROUTE. Please be patient - it will take time. Just remember that your life will be much more YOUR OWN after you have successfully escaped... And if you go the "FADE" route, it probably would cause less distress to your mother...

I wish you the best results in your efforts...

Zid

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

A fade is not possible. Also, I would not care about the consequences of shunning, were it not for my mother. I have nobody else "in."

On top of that, I announced I did not want to be a JW on the first day of my discussion with her. I will not feign to be somebody I am not any longer.

The only thing I hate so much about this direct process is that I have to see her suffer greatly. But, my conscience is free. I don't have to be somebody I no longer want to be.

I do not advocate fading. The sooner more leave, the better.

• moshe
    moshe
    What do I do now?

you need a big gun- Call JudgeRutherfraud on JWN to mop the floor with those elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit