"Banned in Brooklyn"

by Quendi 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quendi
    Quendi

I hope this thread generates some discussion as well as some amusement. I want to talk about "banned books". Back in the Middle Ages, the Roman Catholic Church issued its Index Librorum Prohibitorum, the List of Prohibited Books. Many prominent thinkers had their works listed because they took issue with Catholic teaching. But some works were named simply because Church authorities personally didn't like them, not for any doctrinal reasons.

Back when I was still in the organization, I got a shepherding call from the elders that was supposed to be encouraging. Such visits rarely were, but this one was particularly galling. I own some two thousand books, and my home at that time was wall-to-wall bookcases. Of course, I had a fair number of WTS publications, but those weren't prominently displayed or featured. Instead, books on mathematics, geography, history, science, and great works of literature crowded the shelves. I also love science-fiction and fantasy and my favorite all-time book is Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, whenever different Witnesses would visit--which wasn't that frequently--they were usually staggered by my library. Some would make wisecracks about all the books and ask if I had yet read them all (I haven't). But they would also remark that they couldn't understand why I had so many "worldly" books and not that many of the WTS publications. I usually replied with the observation that more "worldly" books were published each year than WTS ones, and that anyway, "worldly" books were better written, had more interesting things to discuss, and were very often fun to read. Besides that, the books I collected spoke to my many varied interests. You can just imagine how that remark went over.

The books I received the most criticism over were, of course, Tolkien's works. "Don't you realize that his books are 'demonized'?" the elders would ask. "You're opening yourself up to demon influence when you read that stuff!" They would look embarrassed and surprised when I told them that Tolkien was a deeply religious man who was one of the translators of the Catholic Jerusalem Bible. How could a Bible translator be under demon influence, I would ask. The silence that followed was deafening.

Tolkien was a favorite target of the local Witnesses. But I was quite amused to learn that when the movies were released ten years ago, many local Witnesses not only went to see them, but acquired the videocassettes and later the DVDs! They would keep that secret and would only talk about their ownership in whispers or when nobody else was around. If the WTS ever published its own Index, I'm sure old Tollers would be near the top of its list. Does anybody else have any experiences to share about their reading habits and how the Witnesses viewed their choices? Has anyone ever been confronted with the notion that certain books should not be read or even handled by a Witness? What books do you think wold be "banned in Brooklyn"?

Quendi

• Violia
  • Violia
    Violia

sorry about blank posts but i forget to use the IE9 compatibility mode. I said The Harry Potter book series , for obvious reasons.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"Breakfast of Champions" - Kurt Vonnegut

• mummatron
    mummatron

The Twilight Saga for certain - a tale about vampires, written by a Mormon.

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

Anything remotely fun to read. Anything with vampires, zombies, ghosts, magic, science fiction, other religions, fantasy, war, crime, or sex. Most textbooks especially psychology and science.

I was amazed by the number of witness parents, including elders, that would let their kids watch and read The Chronicles of Narnia series but wouldn't let them have anything to do with Harry Potter. I'm not really a fan of children's books except for ones I grew up with but I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series, especially the later books.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I read all of Anne Rice's "Vampire Chronicles" and even her series of the Mayfair Witches. I appreciated her style of writing. I knew better than to let anyone know I read these novels.

But,a couple elders did find out,and they didn't really counsel me. They just made some comment about her book being full of demons.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yeah, at one point my mother forbade be to read 'The Hobbit' for school and the teacher had an absolute fit...

I did go on to read all the LOTR cycle...

In my teens snuck some Stephen King in even.

But finding 'Breakfast of Champions' in my seventh grade library made a lasting impression on me. Kurt Vonnegut was a piece of work!

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Quendi- You are my new H E R O !!! Thank you for starting this thread, what a great notion.I love the LOTR books I read them the first time in HS and adore the movies. Where I am from though, a number of the JWs talked against the movies and only the "weaker ones" were OK with going to the movies. I have them all on disc of course lol.

When I mentioned to my (asleep and full in JW) wife that there are books banned by the WT she said "There aren't any banned books!" That was priceless and just my eye-roll alone was enough and she changed the subject...

And BTW, when I was in Bethel there was a guy that had a few books on his meager shelf (space being at a premium) including the LOTR series. His housekeeper turned him in and he was given a stern talking to by the home overseer, a man much to be feared, and he had to throw those books out of the shire or get himself gone.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I was busted for reading the Wizard of Oz series when I was 10 years old. Will never forget the evil look I received from the want to be elder who picked up my book and glared at me while flipping through the pages to check it out..

I was ten years old and my parents allowed it but I knew that the religion did not.

lITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit