What was your volunteer job(s) at DCs?

by mummatron 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• nugget
    nugget

Washer up of bacon trays all my fab clothes were splashed in bacon grease.

Manning food stall

waitressing at Dorking assembly hall

Food voucher seller

Mother and babies

audit department counting the money

cloakroom and lost property

after children rubbish picker upper

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Was a bag-o-fruit packer years ago
    Contribution box watcher
    Attendant - being an attendant over a seating section at a stadium DC was certainly an eye opener for a lot of brothers. The myth of your 'brothers and sisters' being so loving, cooperative, submissive and kind goes right out the window! These people can be seriously some of the most selfish, rude, ignorant and uncaring people you will find on earth. My wife and I found ourselves asking each other, " Why do these people even go to the trouble of showing up? You couldn't call them christian in even the remotest sense!"
    The best job I ever had, though, was being attendant at the door of the "Green Room" where all the heavies sat. There was a HUGE spread of coffee, Danishes etc all day long. The DO sat there with several large binders full of the talk outlines/manuscripts and followed along to make sure no one veered off course. Those who gave their 'experiences' during the program got shuffled up there after their parts to be thanked for their participation and eat free food in crispy-cool air conditioning. And of course it was my job to guard the door to keep out the riffraff and those wicked apostates who were 'evidently' after the cheese platter.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Attendant for too many years, Stage watchman, Parking and Cleaning.

Funny we were always given instructions to "do whatever it takes to keep the Apostates from reaching the stage." When we asked what does that mean the brother said..."whatever it takes" LOL

Odds are there are probably apostates on stage giving talks.

SIAM

• burnedout
    burnedout

Security and cash transporter for food ticket sales (sometimes 10 - 15K in my briefcase)

Sound, stage, attendant

Parking lot security in West Palm Beach (VERY HOTTTTT we drank beer in the car, just had to check in by radio every 30 minutes)

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I've done security and parking. The parking was bear in the summer..

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

This thread made me wonder - is this perhaps the reason why ANYONE would reach out for priviledges? So that you can at least have a break during the conventions and be in the back room cleaning, passing out books, etc.? Regular meetings are "short" compared to those long mundane conventions - which is were the real "payoff" would be?

I was really young when they quit doing the food prep, but I wanted to do that when I was a kid ! Those people got to leave their seats 30 minutes before the program ended to start the prep - I was jealous !

I allocated to the cleaning of your halls section at the conventions. I even help my grandma "gaurd" a contribution box a couple times.

My brother once got to gaurd the Cow Palace at night - I think they spend most of the night roaming all the remote and hidden rooms and running down all the halls.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Hmm, let's see

- Bakery (my favorite until I was told I'm expected to pay for the restbites as for ok ones)

- Taking care of tools depot (my specialty was perfect order, I got mad if someone just left or took something without registering it)

- Section servant and counting participants (this was special as you got double special label under your badge, volunteer and public servant or whatever it is called. It was great also otherwise, you had valid reason to have binoculars for scanning your section, no way, some nice sisters.)

- Selling candy and ice-cream (this was my job for many years, good part being that you could buy those last good candies before they were sold-out)

- Collecting money from donation boxes

I was always so busy in Gods work that I never had time to participate in cleaning job, there you have it if you wonder my motivation. Actually I was so busy that I often missed the good stuff being told from podium. No wonder I became what I am.

CP

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Forgot one

- Back-stage attendant, doing the mikes and chairs for sessions.

CP

• ifonly789
    ifonly789

When is was in my teens in SA I worked in trucking department ( setting up for the food stalls etc)

attendant and then in UK I worked in security up until last years DC

Just to an excuse really to spend half the day walking around and chatting

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I volunteered for anything I was able to (I am, only a lowly female, after all) that would get me out of my seat during a session. Never once did I ever clean a section, because that happened after the program.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit