What was your volunteer job(s) at DCs?

by mummatron 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The best job any young JW guy could have -night guard / night watchman. Make sure no demonic vandals were breaching the walls of the stadium, protect the Society's equipment and supplies.

Since you were up all those long summer nights with your buddies, you had to catch your sleep during the daytime sessions. It was a highly coveted position, naturally.

It was paradise.

• talesin
    talesin

Cooked in the kitchen, and then served meals when we had the tin trays cafeteria style. Made thousands of sandwiches (and yes, I make a helluva sandwich, though I can't eat them myself anymore). Also worked on the refreshment stand.

It was fun.

t

• ambersun
    ambersun

Like NewChapter I would find myself struggling to do a messy cleaning job wearing a skirt and heels and wishing I could change into my jeans and trainers.

At one convention I was assigned the job of cleaning a filthy, industrial sized food mixer in the kitchens of the hall we were using for a Circuit Assembly, by a jumped up little idiot who was wearing an attendant's badge and thoroughly enjoying lording it over all us humble sisters. I was wearing a brand new white Laura Ashley dress and high heels, and was not given any protective clothing to wear. Why, oh why did I meekly obey orders and ruin my best dress? The food mixer wasn't even used for gawd's sake!! I should have told him where he could stick the food mixer and walked away. What a complete dork I was in those days

One job I did enjoy doing one year at a DC was walking round the grounds of the stadium with a food tray round my neck selling snacks. I was sensible enough to remember to wear flat sandles for that job

• Medina
    Medina

Oh man, I really loved the DCs, thank God I knew some high flying Bethelites so I also got nice Jobs.

- Giving out literature with the release and bringing literature to different depots arround the stadium once the music started playing.

- Doing parking for cars and vans arround the stadium (Great to see the young girls coming in!).

Well that we're actually the only things I did, But I did them every year, last time I visited a DC I was one of the electrics who made the sound systems function.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

First aid department. Mostly I stayed in the first aid department by myself. The actual medical types would show up if there was a need, someone sick or injured. Otherwise, it was usually just me. It was wonderful, I didn't have to pay attention, no one was watching, I could do what I wanted. That was at the circuit assemblies. At district conventions there were a lot more folks in first aid, but still it was way more fun than sitting out in the sun broiling.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I once got "volunteered" to guard the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund box. This meant sitting in front of the damn thing all a$$embly long, just watching it. That was a complete waste of my time--meaning I couldn't find better seats (closer to the air conditioning or away from the hounders).

Another time I got "volunteered" to assist in handing out littera-trash. I would get called out in the middle of that talk to haul the littera-trash to the depot, and then I would hand out items to those requesting them. Another complete waste of time.

• Girlie
    Girlie

Swept and mopped the seating section of the colliseum we were assigned to cleaning. That was the extent of my volunteer activities at the DC.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I helped clean the restrooms once. The key word being 'once'.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Food prep (only half heard the talks (yay!) caught up on the gossip, made new friends), food service (OK I guess), stock-taking (clipboard job - very important LOL), news service (fun times).

• cantleave
    cantleave

I was on the sound team from age 14 until the kids were born.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit