Does anyone know about the 2010 songbook?

by aristeas 24 Replies latest jw friends

• snakeface
    snakeface

I was still in when the book was released. It was a real turning point for me.

I happen to be a musician, studied Music Compostion and Theory in college (pre-Witness of course), played more than 10 instruments, composed music, and had 5 years of Voice training to become a singer. So I "know" music. When I got this new songbook, I could tell that the entire collection had to have been composed by one person or a very small group of persons working together. Also I could tell the music was very chant-like; it was not beautiful "art" that evoked feelings and emotions, but rather, it was empty and hypnotic chanting. Sort of like when military troops march, they have chants that keep them focused on their marching. One person shouts out a line of the chant, then the entire squadron repeats it. We did it in the Air Force. It was kind of fun, actually. We'd make up chants. Some were a little humorous. You might be familiar with this one:

We're in the Army now.

We're not behind the plow.

We never get rich, we never can quit.

We're in the Army now.

So this is how I perceive the new songs. Chants to constantly reindoctrine the rank and file witnesses.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Much of it is pathetic!

Dirges and lame attempts at music composition. Many sound like a Sesame Street jingle. Very sad.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

yeah, I've heard somewhere too that one of the guys who made up this song book DA'd himself around the time just before or after it was released. it was probably on here that i heard that. that is quite interesting.

• munchausen
    munchausen

My two cents worth:

The only one of the new songs worth listening to is 111, He Will Call. It is OK, and the chorus is actually good. All the rest are really bad.

Even worse is that some of the old familiar songs they decided to keep, have had changes to words, and some have an altered melody, for no apparent reason (example, 103 House to House, which was always a favorite with the kids, has all the zip taken out if it)

Here's a curious observation, the old song Shulamite Maiden, ( a nice tune) now has another name and words. I didn't realize until recently that it had never been sung for years - almost as if it was deliberately passed over. I wonder why. Maybe because the words ( a little racy, as I recall) may have been offensive to some cultures.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

They announced that new songbook at the last DC I went to. They played excerpts of it. I was like "hated it!" It was horrible. I'm glad I never had to sing any of them.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Yeah serenity. I was at an international convention when they played it. It was very awkward trying to pretend it sounded good.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I know the bees are no longer being molested, which is quite disappointing.

• snakeface
    snakeface

And they did take out that song about "Precious gifts from God our children are, a possession to train.....They are gifts from God. He says 'use the rod'..."

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Left before it came out but from numerous quotes here IT'S JUST BAD!

• John Locke
    John Locke

Well, the music is not bad... Some of the songs sound really nice, some are a bit difficult to sing as for generally unprepared JW crowd.

But as soon as you learn how to sing them, they sound OK... of course the lyrics sometimes just makes one want to puke... something like "be obedient to the brothers"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit