Judas and Unforgivable Sin

by corpusdei 122 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• corpusdei
    corpusdei

TheQuietOne>> Look into the various theodicies created over the years, which attempt to balance the existence of evil with an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevelant deity. There's quite a few. The only ones that I've never found any logical holes in are

a) God is defined by his perfection, therefore all that is not God must by necessity be imperfect. If this were a perfect world, we would be a facet of God.

b) God as duality. This is my favorite, because it causes Christians to make faces and throw things at me. Essentially it's the idea that God is the ultimate personification of both benevelance and malignancy - God and the Devil are two sides of the same coin. I personally think it makes the most sense, it does explain everything, but the idea of a schizopherenic God does tend to be slightly unnerving.

cantleave>>

Unforgivable sin? Did Judas deny the GB?

You owe me a new keyboard, there's coke all over mine now.

charlie brown jr>>

They were delighted and agreed to give him money to pay his cable bill.

See, I would have held out for a hell of a lot more than 30 pieces of silver. I mean, you're about to be party to the murder of the Son of God, after all. This ain't just turning over the local liquer store.

• AGuest
    AGuest

That would mean that all that has and will occur has, in HIS timeframe. That means that HE already knows the outcome with Satan.

Well, I mean, through the Revelation, He DID show John what the outcome will be, yes, dear Revealer (peace to you!)? And Christ is recorded to have said, "The ruler of this world has BEEN judged." Yes?

Why then wait to deal with him??

According to my Lord... there is a time for EVERYTHING... and it isn't time. I did not ask, but he went on to say that everything has its purpose and works for the will of the Father. In upsetting the timeframe, much more harm can be done than not. MUCH more. There are other "covenants" in existence and in effect and those must be recognized. I know that there are covenants with the animal kingdom; however, I do not know to what specifically he was referring.

The above passages indicate that Jesus of Nazareth knew all along it would be Judas.

Dearest Syl... the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one! My apologies; I was coming from a point of the question regarding what was prophesied. According to our Lord he knew, yes, even from "the beginning"... but that was from the beginning of his ministry. Not prior to coming or prior to his baptism. He didn't know before starting his ministry and choosing the Apostles that it would be Judas. It was only after their choosing that what Judas really was began to manifest. Remember, JAH chose the 12; yet, our Lord said, "I know which ones I chose" and excluded Judas from that statement. And there is a reason why: Judas' betrayal was "extra-special" - he was very close to our Lord, dear one, one of his best friends growing up. As a child, then, he had no idea.

Psalm 41:9; 55:13-14

Once he received the Father's holy spirit, however, and the "heavens were opened to him," he could see everything... including what was IN others. Prior to that, however, while he was still learning, he was subject to the limitations of his flesh, just as we are... which not only hides us from others... but others from us. Since dear QO's question was with regard to prophecy, I think our Lord's respond was as to that. He knew it would be someone close but that wasn't immediately revealed to him. Like the "day and hour." Prior to his ascension, not everything was revealed to him right away. Prior to his baptism, even more things weren't.

But that's WHY what Judas did was SO bad - it wasn't someone who had recently become acquainted with him right after his baptism and identification, or during his ministry... or someone who was "posing" as a disciple but an imposter. Judas was his friend, intimate friend. They were homeboyz... "dawgs"... as boys. They hung out, even attending temple (school) together. Judas started to "change"... or rather, manifest more of what was "in" him once he allowed the Adversary IN. Because of this, although he had great love for him, our Lord "gave him UP"... to his course. He said that because it WAS Judas it hurt almost beyond measure; that it's one thing to be betrayed, but it's another entirely to be betrayed by someone YOU love, a close friend, almost a brother.

And weren't John and Jesus........ BFF's?

No, dear CBJ (peace to you!)... that was my Lord and Lazarus (Simon the Kanaean/Zealot). That misunderstanding came from some misconcluding that John wrote the gospel attributed to him because he was given the Revelation ("Surely, Christ loved him MOST if he gave him the Revelation!"). But that really isn't the case. Lazarus was the one for whom my Lord had brotherly affection. He was VERY close to Lazarus and his sisters, Mary (the Magdalene) and Martha. These three lived in Bethany after having fled from Magdala (because of Mary's demons and "occupation" and Lazarus' leprosy - all of which rendered them "unclean" and subject to great social ostracism and/or harassment).

As for whether Judas was at the evening meal, dear ones, he was... and it's very easy to know this truth:

1. He partook; he is the disciple to whom my Lord passed the bread FIRST. The different is that HIS "morsel" was "dipped" in the gravy (from the meal they had all just eaten, which is where the bread and wine came from)... indicating that the receiver was POLLUTED. He received an "unclean" morsel of the bread... because HE was unclean and so, although 12 tribes were represented so that the "covenant for a kingdom" could be ratified, Judas' "agreement" was not clean and thus invalid. Hence, he was replaced by someone "clean" - Matthias (and NOT Paul!!).

2. My Lord is recorded to have spoken of him... while he was still there, just AFTER he instructed them to partake of his "flesh" and "blood":

"Look! The hand of my betrayer is with me at the table…” Luke 22:21

After which they all began to discuss who it might be that he was speaking OF. A great deal of discussion went on after the partaking (which was not the actual meal; that came before), before they left the room. But what's written in the Bible aside, one can know just based on logic:

The covenant was made with 12 tribes, not 11, so he HAD to be there. Had Judas left or not been there, one tribe would have been omitted. That couldn't have happened because the promise was to 12 tribes.

I am not trying to contend with anyone but only set the matters accurate as I receive them from my Lord. I understand that some don't agree and that's totally fine. But I would remiss to say, on the one hand, that I love you and wish you peace... while on the other hand either lying to you or withholding the truth from you. I so I thank you for your patience and indulgence, truly.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• snowbird
    snowbird

Shelby, Shelby, Shelby ...

As one of The Ancestors used to exclaim, "Well, I'll be swoped."

Again!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

What more can I say.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Psalm 55:12-14 This isn't the neighborhood bully
    mocking me—I could take that.
    This isn't a foreign devil spitting
    invective—I could tune that out.
    It's you! We grew up together!
    You! My best friend!
    Those long hours of leisure as we walked
    arm in arm, God a third party to our conversation.
    15 Haul my betrayers off alive to hell—let them
    experience the horror, let them
    feel every desolate detail of a damned life. The Message Bible

I wouldn't want to be Judas when he again faces his former Best Friend!

I would never have made the connection without your help, Shelby.

I bow to you and kiss the hem of your garment.

Syl

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    Charik: Yes, Jesus knew that Judas was going to betray him at the Supper because Judas was already heading down this path and it was in his heart to do so and Jesus knows present reality. This is different than saying Jesus knew it in His preexistence or even at the beginning of His ministry when He chose Judas as an apostle (He would not choose a betrayer or devil and call him an apostle after a night of prayer; Judas BECAME these things in a later chronology; as reality changed, Jesus knew this new disposition that did not exist initially; God/Jesus knows reality as it is and reality is contingent/changing moment by moment).

Godrulz, how can you feel comfortable while blithely stating what Jesus knows and doesn't know? By doing so you limit and diminish God. I was merely saying that we definitely know that he knew Judas would betray him. That's all.

I also agree with the original poster on this thread that there is a definite conundrum involved in Judas' betrayal having been the means to bring about Jesus' death. It has much wider implications, in respect of whether or not there is an overall purpose and how each one of us slots into it. It brings in free will and all sorts of things that don't belong in this thread. All I know is that the best thing we can do is do our best in our own corner and not seek to know exactly how, why and when the end, if there is one, will come.

Hear that, WT?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

The Bible can't even get the story straight of how Judas supposedly died, and yet you "believers" have it all figured out. It's like reading one out of fifty chapters in a book and then saying you know the whole story. Well, through "divine intervention", one the many books that the Catholic Church desperately tried to destroy which deals directly with Judas has been found, and you can stop your wild guessing. Unfortunately, the truth destroys your bogus belief system, built on a foundation of sand.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywJdMezcqio

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This past year I read a massive tome called Judas. The author traces the developmen of Judas from times of Jesus to the present. Judas has many noble characteristics. He is respectful of Jesus but not dumbfounded. Indeed, he is an antidoe to the blind followers in the rest of the disciples, saves Thomas. He has a rigorous social conscience. Jesus did not clearly express his ministry. Judas seems predestined to be the catalyst for Jesus' death, resurrection and Coming Again. How could it happen without the active role of Jesus. Well, it may be unfortunate from the viewpoint of the historical Jesus of Nazaret, it becomes the means for our salvation and makes fulfillmen of prophecy possible.

I fully believe Jesus can see his predictement. When Judas waivers, fearful of his actions, Jesus expressly encourages him. He acts as the express agent of Jesus. Judas gave no interviews that survived. He regrets his actions deeply to the point of suicide.

Is he condemned for all tme? If we are wanton flies to boys, God is not fair.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Prodigal: It is likely (based on Scripture and reason) that Judas hanged himself over a cliff, the branch broke, he fell, and his guts spilled out. The manner of death is not important, but that he killed himself in remorse without repentance. This outcome was not God's desire/intention.

• ixthis
    ixthis

corpusdey

Judas Iscarios is very well known for his betrayal of Christ but that is NOT the reason why he "lost his soul" eternally. In accordance with the early church writings and traditions it is the fact that he was despondant and takes his own life rather than trusting in God's mercy.

All of the works of Christ are an outpouring of Grace, and not in legalistic terms. Christ fulfills the law and dies on the cross, as an indictment against Satan and not because God needs to be appeased for your sins or my sins or Judas's sins;

"Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham" Hebrews 2:14-16.

In the case of Judas it is not so much the betrayal (though this is the cause of great sorrow) but the act of "despondancy" that leads to "suicide" that ultimately condemns him.

Had he not committed suicide Christ would have forgiven him (as He forgave St Peter for betraying him).

Despondancy has a way of blocking out all attempts to reach out to the person suffering from despondancy. That is why it is such a dangerous sin - it, in essence, blasphemes the Holy Spirit by suggesting that one CAN NOT be saved.

... and that is a theme in many "make shift" christian churches (such as watchtower) who suggest that many people can not be saved. That is utter rubbish! ALL of humanity HAS been saved in that one event ... our flesh is no longer held captive to death and we all (no exceptions) can choose to partake of an eternal life.

We learn a lot from Judas (during Holy Week) and we see his example as one to avoid at all costs. It is a tragic story and a cautionary tale. We must be careful "not like Judas to give [Christ] a kiss" but rather to be "like the thief [confessing Christ]: remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom."

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings, dear ixthis, and peace to you! Quite a lot of statements you've made here! I must ask, however:

1. Who ever said my Lord didn't forgive Judas? Forgiveness does not come AFTER the error, dear one, but BEFORE. FOR-giveness. My Lord didn't forgive Peter for betraying him - Peter NEVER betrayed him; he DENIED him, which is not the same thing. Even so, my Lord forgave Peter before that one ever denied him. He is the One who told Peter that Peter WOULD deny him... and yet, he did not send Peter away. Because... he FORgave Peter. It is an act that occurs not after transgression, but before transgression, dear one.

2. Who ever said that suicide was an unforgivable sin? It is against one's own flesh, not against the Holy Spirit. In addition, despondency was one of the reasons my Lord GAVE his life: to "free the captives" TO despondency. The people were despondent, in GREAT numbers... due to the Law... and trying to keep it, but never measuring up (at least, as far as the priests and Pharisees led them to believe). There was no saviour, no release from the Law. How could one EVER please the Most Holy One of Israel? They could offer sacrifice after sacrifice... but the priests... who were SUPPOSED to grant them atonement... only demanded more. Why? Because... there was a PROFIT in it (like today - you know, paying loved ones out of Purgatory, etc.?).

Also, people take their own lives for all kinds of reasons, including despondency, which often results in mental, emotional, and SPIRITUAL illness. Should we really think that the Most Holy One of Israel... or His Son... would close the door of their tender compassions on such ones? Where is the MERCY in doing so?

Again, so many things here, but... I am a bit under the weather, so they will have to wait until another time. In the meantime I ask you to consider asking of and listening to Christ, the One who MADE the sacrifice... versus to men... who, based on what you've posted... don't really understand.

Also, while it is still upon the Most Holy One of Israel to show mercy to whomever HE wishes... it is ALWAYS upon us to show it. Even to Judas. Even if one considers him an enemy. Particularly if one considers him an enemy. Because that is how we prove OURSELVES sons of God.

I bid you peace... and ears, if you wish them, so as to hear when the Spirit and the Bride say to YOU:

"Come! Take 'life's water'... FREE!"

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit