Regional Convention 2015 - Program

by Designer Stubble 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

I have a feeling that a theory I had that the JWs would eventually go down the path the Worldwide Church of God did is happening. I believed that they would learn from the mistake the WCoG did by changing things too fast and slowly, very slowly change things until they became comparatively mainstream too.

The changes in doctrines of late (with the complex typology based on Old Testament figures now trashed), and especially that odd comment a few years ago about following the Governing Body even if it seemed to go beyond reason seems to be a setup not for a Jonestown-like mass suicide but a gradual acceptance of typical Christian theology.

The change to John 17.3 in the revised NWT would have disfellowshipped any who suggested it back in the 1980s, and this Jesus-centric convention program would have "smacked" of Trinitarian worship of Christ had it been proposed.

Like Pepsi-co did to get people forget that they were eating fried food at Kentucky Fried Chicken by changing its name to KFC, so it seems Jehovah is seeing his first notch down in almost 100 years with this program along with the fact that even God's name is likewise being phased out: Jehovah's Witnesses are now JW. The "importance" of knowing and speaking the Name of God reduced to a single letter! If Franz could see them now!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Great comments Caleb!!

I can't get my hands on a RNWT so could you please quote john 17:3 here for me? I'm intrigued!!

• zeb
    zeb

Nice to know Jesus is finally getting a billing he deserves. As the wt is so big on names will they ever use his real name being Yeshuah. pronounced ..eshuah.

Evidently the 'new light' shining from these pages et al has found some home at bethel.

• Island Man
    Island Man

This is not the first time that Watchtower has had a convention featuring Jesus. Have you all forgotten about the "Follow The Christ" district convention several years ago?

This convention is just part of their periodic, token focus on Jesus that they do just so they can say that they're christian. Like another poster alluded to, this convention will just use Jesus to preach Watchtower propaganda. You can bet that Jesus would often be objectified as "the ransom sacrifice" and depersonalized as "spirit creature". Watchtower has no true love for Jesus and this shows in their writing.

To Watchtower, Jesus is just an inconvenient obligation that they have to begrudgingly attend to periodically so they can claim to be christian and justify their claim of having Jehovah's favor. There is no true heartfelt love and honor for Jesus among JWs, as is evidenced by the conspicuous absence of his name on their tongues outside of the formal doctrinal teaching and learning sessions where he is mentioned from the stage.

Just look at all the JW jargon that JWs typically use in conversation: "Jehovah's Organization", "wait on Jehovah", "servants of Jehovah", "serving Jehovah", "Jehovah's people", "Jehovah's direction", "Jehovah's spirit", "Jehovah's blessing" ... you get the idea -- it's all about Jehovah. Can you think of any often used JW jargon that has "Jesus" in it? That says volumes! Even when JWs do try to focus on Jesus they go out of their way to give him measured focus as if trying to be careful not to give him too much focus for fear of being guilty of worshiping him. Contrast JWs lack of use of the name Jesus and lack of verbal praise of Jesus with the NT writers' focus on Jesus and their unabashed praising of him in writing.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Well put Island Man! As you say, after this years' series of 'Jesus' token service conventions JWs will be back to the usual Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah chanting!

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

(John 17:3) . . .2013: This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.

FayeDunaway

I can't get my hands on a RNWT so could you please quote john 17:3 here for me? I'm intrigued!!

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

Island Man

This is not the first time that Watchtower has had a convention featuring Jesus. Have you all forgotten about the "Follow The Christ" district convention several years ago?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Great comment, Island Man. If you understand the next couple of sentences, then you will understand how the periodic "Jesus Conventions" work.

Householder: Have you accepted Jesus as you Lord and savior in your heart?

JW: Do you mean, " Do I have accurate knowledge about Jesus' role in the fulfillment of Jehovah's purpose to sanctify his name?"

HH: Goodbye.

JW: ( thinking ) I guess Jehovah is not drawing them to the organization at this time..Well, off to Starbucks!!

There will be no mainstreaming as far as WT Jesus is concerned.

DD

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Is there seriously a "music video" friday at 1:25? I may just have to show up for that....
  • minimus
    minimus
    I kinda like it, to be honest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit