Do You Think It Is Wrong To Stereotype?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know we are supposed to be politically correct but I don't always feel that this is warranted.

I do think that certain things might be GENERALLY true and could be viewed as stereotyping. For example, if I see a young person driving a car very slowly, I might think that they are texting and driving (or else are Asian). Now THAT might not have sounded proper, but I do think it's GENERALLY true, from my experience driving in the city.

If I see a "butchy" looking woman, I generally assume the woman is gay. Now do YOU think that is wrong to think in that stereotypical fashion? Tell me what you think.

• jay88
    jay88

Can not wait to hear the responses as I sit back and enjoy my fried chicken and watermelon.

• minimus
    minimus

ewwwwwwwwwwww

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I don't think sterotyping is appropriate in most circumstances. The one big exception I see is where public safety is involved. At airport screening, I see no issue with stereotyping in identifying possible threats. I don't recall any wheelchair bound grandmothers or three year old children hijacking a plane, if you get my drift. My two cents...

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Yes.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm from Mississippi. Please allow your Stereotype Engines to run wild. I've heard it all (I think).

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In some circumstances generalizing is expedient. Basing one's opinions and decisions based on stereotypes and generalizations, on the other hand, is foolhardy.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Is it stereotyping to assume a slow driving teen is texting? That seems more like taking in evidence and reaching a conclusion. I don't know about an Asian thing---unless it is cultural. I never think a person may be Asian because they drive slowly. If I meet a JW, I assume they will act a certain way under certain conditions. I have learned from this site that I may be very wrong about that! Yet I also may be very right. I guess in the end we all have preconceived notions about groups of people. The question is: are we open-minded enough to accept they may not fit those notions? I've had a little conversation with PSacramento on evolution. Since PS claims to be a Christian I automatically assumed he/she believed in creation. I was wrong. I quickly adjusted my view. I suppose I started out with a stereotype, but then allowed this person to define themselves to me.

Now if it a negative concept is fueled by misinformation--that is not helpful at all. For instance if I saw a person wearing Amish clothing, I'm going to assume they have no electricty--for good reason. I could be wrong but that is forgivable. If I think every black man has a tail and wants to rape me, I would be ignorant.

NC

• minimus
    minimus

NewChapter, I like it!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Generally, it is wrong to stereotype.

But most men do it. Especially white men.
    It's not so bad within the Chinese community.

Certainly, most heterosexuals stereotype homosexuals.

Women, who work on caring more than thinking, are less likely to voice stereotypes. But they are just golddiggers who will go with the guy with the nicest shoes, watch, and car. Except Jewish women, they look for law degrees in potential husbands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit