Who wrote the May 22, 1969 Awake article "What Future for the Young"?

by VM44 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

No I'm a 1975 baby you know the year that ended all things

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

For those who think Fred Franz wrote it, it is interesting to compare what he wrote in 1927:

*** g27 8/10 p. 729-733 Growing Up in a New World on Earth [by F. W. Franz] ***

WHAT boy or girl does not like to think of growing up? From the time children are still very young, and yet old enough to notice big people and what they do, little folks try to imitate grown ups. They hear or read stories about grown-up people who made great names for themselves or who did wonderful things. It sets them to dreaming about the golden time coming when they too will be grown up and not be under the thumb of other grown ups, but when they can be independent (as they call it) and do wonderful things....

I remember how afraid I was as a boy of the end of the world. When many grown ups were scared that the end of the world was very near, I was frightened, too; and I tried to live oh! so good, thinking I would go to heaven if the earth should be burned up. Really though, you boys and girls and all of us can be glad that the world is coming to an end; for it means that all these bad, hard times and wicked things that we now have and everyone has had since Adam did wrong are going to pass away, and that the best times we have ever had on earth are going to come in and come to stay for ever....

Since the things are happening today that Jesus told us about, we know that we are right at the very doorstep of the new world, the world to come. We are moving into the new world. If you try to learn about God in the Bible and try to please Him, you may never die, but move right on into the new world fully and then never have to die.

Think about keeping on living to see these good times come in! Think too, of growing up in the new world on earth! Doesn't it make you feel like throwing your hat up into the air and shouting out, "Hurrah"! Doesn't it make you love God more?

Let's see, a child of about age 10 reading that article in 1927 would today be around 94 years old.

• VM44
    VM44

That is a good quote of Fred Franz that you found Leolaia.

It appears that the common purpose of both the 1927 and the 1969 article is convince young people not to pursue a career at that moment in time.

They are not meant to influence people reading them 94 or 43 years after they were published.

That is why essentially the same message is continually emphasized in recent publications and talks, to influence the young people of the moment not to pursue an education or a career.

The Watchtower will continue to say the same thing over and over again in the future.

Actually after the number of years have passed as it has for those older articles, they actually have become embarrassing!

• VM44
    VM44

From the 1969 Awake article:

"But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!"

In this year of 2012 it is very likely that the person who wrote the above is himself "actually gone"!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

VM44,

Thanks! This is going in my TOP SECRET file to give to my daughter!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Leo, it is interesting that quote is from 1927, but the teaching that the great crowd will live on earth was not released until 1935. It seems that it took quite a number of years to formulate the Great Crowd of Other Sheep concept.

• falseprophet
    falseprophet

Wow!

This explains why the CD-ROM goes back to 1970 for the Awake but right back to 1950 for the WatchTower. No JW could ever explain that to me.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

bookmarked

• Scott77
    Scott77

bttt

• James Brown
    James Brown

Meanwhile all the same white brothers who were telling us not to send our kids to college, were sending their kids to college. They looked out for their own, and I'm telling you now Miz, look out for yourself first because they don't give a darn about you."

NO Room for George: I am white and the white brothers in my congregation told me not to go to college while they went to college, I didnt realize it at the time. The whole organization is fxd up.

I didnt go to college. I read the Awake. I read that article and now I am 60. My life has passed me by. I am sitting here depressed.

Some families do a better job of looking out for their own than others. I remember I was trying to go to college and the brothers came out

and told me all the reasons I should not go. How I would never graduate. Actually they would come out and study the bible with me and college would often be a topic.

I wasnt getting any support from my family or my hall. My father was not a witness, he was oblivious to it all. He was a hands off father as far as guidance direction and wisdom were concerned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit