Who wrote the May 22, 1969 Awake article "What Future for the Young"?

by VM44 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Yeah, this article came out about the same time my mom left a good job and she and my father went to live in poverty in rural Tennessee to preach. So many years later my mother has bemoaned the fact that she listened to the Society and pioneered instead of going to school. She's 64, and will literally have to work until she dies.

I believe the powers that be in NY should be in jail. They have ruined so many lives.

• irondork
    irondork

serenitynow: I believe the powers that be in NY should be in jail. They have ruined so many lives.

But it was just an oversight! They were eager for the end to come and just got ahead of themselves. Everyone makes mistakes. Besides, they're sorry. They feel bad! They have apologized again and again and...

... oh, nevermind!

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I remember this article. I don't know who wrote it. This is John Wischuck's style, but I really don't know. Everyone writing articles like this in the late 1960's had a more or less homogenized style. That came from the proofreading and editing process. A large number of articles were farmed out to other branches, but the writers were often American or Canadian missionaries. Unless someone told you they wrote a specific article all you were left with was a guess.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Harry Peloyan was Awake! editor for a number of years but I don't know when he took on that role.

He's dead now.

BTW, I'm working on an article on the topic of education and the Watchtower for www.InsideTheWatchtower.com. It should be up within a week or so. We also had a Cult Free Radio episode on the topic. I think it was show #002. Three GREAT interviews and my usual ramblings. http://ex-jw.com/web-directory/cult-free-radio-archives-1-6

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

BTW, someone earlier asked whether this was a filler article because it was so brief.

The entire first half of this issue of the Awake was devoted to youth and young people, I don't recall what the second half entailed. So this was just the final part of an entire section on related topics. Most of the earlier articles in the mag were geared toward the fear of youth crime and riots and street gangs and war/the draft and how they are all a sign that the world's a complete mess that only Jehovah can clean up. It was kind of a nod to the hippies that they're right - the grownups aren't going to leave much of a world for you to inherit, if any, and so you may as well join the Borg because our god is going to kill "The Man".

It worked on my older sisters, who then roped my mom into the cult.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I was 15 years old at the time. All I can say is this was more fodder my parents used not to have any responsiblity in raising me. According to them I needed no doctors, freinds, education or interest in anything except what the WT had to say. Because everything around me was going to be destoryed. No wonder I suffer with PTSD and high anxiety. Totally ADD

• cult classic
    cult classic

TotallyADD - check ur pms

• r51785
    r51785

Ah yes, but remember 28 years prior to that article Judge Rutherford in his literary classic "Children" instructed his followers not to marry or procreate. If only they had listened in 1941 the Awake wouldn't have had to tell their children in 1969 that they had no future! Today the Awake can tell the great grandchildren of the 1941 "generation" that they should not marry or procreate. Or maybe I have this wrong. Maybe the children who heard received Rutherford's book in 1941 are members of the same "generation" as today's teenagers. I mean after all, "generations" have been know to overlap.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

WOW I wasn't quite born when this came out

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

we know you are only 21

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit