Who wrote the May 22, 1969 Awake article "What Future for the Young"?

by VM44 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

This is the BS I was being taught. I was 5 when this article came out.

Mom was still trying to shovel this at us when me and my bro. were going off to College which was about 7 years after the EPIC FAIL of the Watchtower's 1975 Armageddon Prophecy (and about 13 to 14 years after this piece of junk came out) .

I will be 48 this year. Hey, Watchtower, I DID need a career, and I DID have to go to high school, and the wrinkles and grey hair only go to show I AM growing old.

• Alfred
    Alfred

That article sure has a Freddy Franz style to it, but who knows?

If anyone has an actual copy of that magazine, I'd sure be interested in buying it... please PM me... thanks

• VM44
    VM44

Alfred,

The loose magazine by itself will be very hard to find.

The 1969 Awake! bound volume comes up from time to time on eBay. It is not that rare and so should not cost too much.

• VM44
    VM44

Here is a larger scan of the article.

*** Page 14 ***

*** Page 15 ***

• VM44
    VM44

The article is essentially only one page in length.

I wonder if it was written as "filler" material for the magazine?

• ambersun
    ambersun

If you were a high school student and thinking about college in 1969, then you're about 60 years old.

Yup, that's me - 60 this year. Do I feel angry and bitter about it? You bet I do

That magazine article, short though it may have been, had a huge effect on my parents, along with other articles at the time advising parents that as long as their teenage kids had two legs to walk about on we had absolutely no excuse whatsoever not to pioneer with any old part time job to help pay for our keep.

Thus, at an age when we had the world at our feet and when we should have been making full use of our individual skills and talents in order to follow our career dreams, the boys usually became window washers and the girls did menial cleaning jobs while we trudged round the streets knocking doors and peddling WT literature.

By the time those of us who were concious enough to think for ourselves realised we had been lied to, it was far too late for many of us to do anything about it since by that time we were married with homes and children to care for.

By the way, that fateful magazine article is part of a bound volume still sitting on my mother's shelf to this day.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I was 18 months when that was published. I wasn't expected to finish primary education, let alone leave school, find job, get married, and have kids.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

By the way, that fateful magazine article is part of a bound volume still sitting on my mother's shelf to this day.

Just as well,

because it's not on the CD Library...

oz

• Mary
    Mary

That article has Freddie Franz' name writ all over it. Since he was the central character in the whole 1975 debacle, I'd be betting dollars to Miracle Wheat that that moron is the one who authorized that tripe.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Yes, but since they changed the definition for 'generation', then this article is still true.

<tongue firmly planted in cheek>

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit