A simple question about Jesus prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane.

by nicolaou 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• trevor
    trevor

losthobbit -

Obviously, the word "scripture" refers to previously written Jewish "scriptures", and not the new testament.

This is true and inconvenient for many Christians as the Jewish scriptures are the most embarrassing.

nicolaou -

You state, as does Trevor, that the bible is inspired with the same casual confidence as someone who looks out of a window and says; "Oh, it's raining".

As it happens, I did not make a statement but posted the words of that most modest of men, Saint Paul. To me the Bible is as God-breathed as a pair of old socks and is uselessful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

• tec
    tec

There could be any number of explanations, but here is another to consider:

---He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.---

That's all way hear about his prayer. Not a lot. His disciples could have heard him praying the above, watched for a bit as he prayed earnestly, then fallen asleep - and someone could later have written about what was seen/heard.

Seems simple enough to me.

Peace,

Tammy

• trevor
    trevor

Perhaps you are close Tammy but it could be that the disciples were pretending to sleep so they could eavesdrop on Jesus and find out his secrets for the book they were planning to write.

• tec
    tec

Little did they know it would turn out to be a bestseller ;)

• glenster
    glenster

The easiest answer is that the apostles didn't fall asleep immediately after
    Jesus walked a stone's throw away. They overheard the garden prayer and fell
    asleep by the time Jesus got back to them. You can add that Jesus may have
    talked to others that apostles later talked to, and that if the faith concern
    choice is to believe in God then the holy spirit can have informed certain
    people as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agony_in_the_Garden

The current model for accounts of Jesus' life include a debate over whether or
    not there was a Q document or two sources later writings used for reference
    sources. How many writers' contributions were used for it or them, and could
    there even have been other documents....? Beyond that, there were apostles who
    could have been questioned. Did apostles talk to others who incorporated that
    and possibly other things for three accounts, and did the apostles otherwise
    keep notes but leave it to John to utilize them in putting out a published
    version of their account?

• snowbird
    snowbird

After His resurrection and before His ascension, He spent 40 days with His disciples.

Oh, the things they must have discussed during those 40 days!

Syl

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

He could have talked about after his ressurection. Maybe someone was only pretending to be asleep and eavesdropped.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Don't discount Bob, that sneeky bastard !
    You don't even want to know about the drawings he did of Mary while she was changing !

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If they could hear him from "a stone's throw" away, then none of them have a very good arm.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh I don't know, Mad, he got pretty darn loud. I love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnHMfWI-kAw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit