A simple question about Jesus prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane.

by nicolaou 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

nicolaou, could Jesus not have told someone after he was resurrected? I don't believe that, but I'm just offering an alternative suggestion.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

An even neater trick is how Moses recorded his own death.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

curtains; no apology necessary, we all know interacting on a forum isn't the same as a real life, face-to-face conversation.

faundy; as opposed to curtains gently mocking reply I believe you're answering my question in full sincerity. I won't be rude, I know you're on something of a personal journey right now but please consider what you posted. It's nothing more than an appeal to superstition and myth. You mention four characters - Adam, Eve, Jehovah & Satan - with the assumption that they are/were real, actual individuals. You state, as does Trevor, that the bible is inspired with the same casual confidence as someone who looks out of a window and says; "Oh, it's raining".

These posts claiming supernatural explanations are utter nonsense (noun 1. words or language having little or no sense or meaning).

losthobbit; you asked, "could Jesus not have told someone after he was resurrected?" No, he couldn't and you don't really need me to explain why do you?

Interesting isn't it that no answer has been offered that doesn't appeal to one form of irrational, senseless, supernatural manifestation or another. There is an easy, simple explanation of course. It can even be summed up in one word - but Christians just won't like it . . . . .

Fiction.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

it's magic

• undercover
    undercover
    2 Timothy 3:16

Revised Exact And Literal Version (REAL)

16 All Scripture is bullshit and useful only for fooling, conniving and controlling in dishonesty, so that the charlaton may be equipped to fleece the ignorant flock.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Who recorded it?
    Jesus is in the garden with Peter, James and John but he removes himself from them and prays alone. In all three accounts of this event we read that the disciples fell asleep and Jesus had to actually wake them up. So if Peter, James and John were all sleeping, and that at some distance away, who heard the words of Jesus prayer so as to record it?
    Jesus himself couldn't have recounted the prayer to them, he was arrested and taken away in one quick, fell swoop and never spoke to those disciples ever again except perhaps for a few words while dying when he entrusted his mother into the care of a discple who may have been John.
    So again, who recorded this prayer?

Bob, he was always running around with parchments and ink and stuff.

Irritating guy too, always painting mustaches on the apostles while sleeping and there was that one time when he tied Judas's sandals together, LOL !
    That was a good one.

• watersprout
    watersprout
    Bob, he was always running around with parchments and ink and stuff.
    Irritating guy too, always painting mustaches on the apostles while sleeping and there was that one time when he tied Judas's sandals together, LOL !
    That was a good one.

LOL PSac!

Peace

• sir82
    sir82

If I were a true believer trying to defend this, I would suggest that perhaps Jesus spoke to his disciples about the prayer some time during the 40 days he was hanging around with them after his resurrection. Sort of a "Hey guys, while you nitwits were sleeping, here's what you missed..."

The gospel accounts are full of supernatural events. If you accept that such things did really occur, then no problem is insurmountable - just add on a few more unrecorded miracles. If you reject them, why worry about trying to "prove" that they couldn't happen?

• Ding
    Ding

The account doesn't say that Peter, James, and John slept through the whole thing... just that they fell asleep at some point while he was praying. After all, he prayer the same prayer several times.

• Curtains
    Curtains

nicolau I was not being gently mocking. I was being sincere and was simply replying from the internal context of the logic of the bible.

The account doesn't say that Peter, James, and John slept through the whole thing... just that they fell asleep at some point while he was praying. After all, he prayer the same prayer several times.

good point ding. I love how these points come out when one does an analysis of the verses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit