A simple question about Jesus prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane.

by nicolaou 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Who recorded it?

Jesus is in the garden with Peter, James and John but he removes himself from them and prays alone. In all three accounts of this event we read that the disciples fell asleep and Jesus had to actually wake them up. So if Peter, James and John were all sleeping, and that at some distance away, who heard the words of Jesus prayer so as to record it?

Jesus himself couldn't have recounted the prayer to them, he was arrested and taken away in one quick, fell swoop and never spoke to those disciples ever again except perhaps for a few words while dying when he entrusted his mother into the care of a discple who may have been John.

So again, who recorded this prayer?

• Curtains
    Curtains

obviously Jehovahs spirit brought it back to the minds of Jesus' desciples, nicolau. But why would Jehovahs spirit do this? As Jesus says some pretty controverial things even suggesting that he is in two minds about going through with what is ahead.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

So your only explanation is a supernatural one? Then you have nothing.

Also, please don't mangle the English language to suit your clouded perception. For the record;

OBVIOUS –adjective
    1. easily seen, recognized, or understood; open to view or knowledge; evident: an obvious advantage.
    2. lacking in subtlety.

Anyone else want to give this a try?

• Curtains
    Curtains

so this is not a simple question then nicolau?

• faundy
    faundy

I don't quite understand the question, unless it's a sarcastic one. Adam didn't write any books of the Bible but there's recorded the entire account of Satan's conversation with Eve.

Jehovah didn't physically pen the Bible but the account of creation is there. Just because the stories are supposed to have happened with nobody else around to witness it, it doesn't mean they didn't get written.

Bible being inspired and what not...

• still thinking
    still thinking

That is a good question nicolau. I have been curious about this type of thing myself. There seem to have been a few occasions where he said things or did things. And yet he never wrote them down. So how did they know? I'm really hoping someone here is able to shed some light on this. Its kind of like when the bible talks about Jesus thoughts or feelings.

• trevor
    trevor

The self-certifying Bible explains very clearly how all that is in the Bible came to be. Of course many Christians no longer accept that the Bible is The Word of God. So this explanation will not satisfy them, and so the plot thickens.

2 Timothy 3:16

New International Version (NIV)

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[ a ] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

• Curtains
    Curtains

btw I was not being dismissive of your question nicolau at all but like you was trying to get a discussion going by adding to it.

edit: althoug looking back at my post I can see why you responded as you did. my apologies

• Curtains
    Curtains

trevor

The self-certifying Bible explains very clearly how all that is in the Bible came to be. Of course many Christians no longer accept that the Bible is The Word of God. So this explanation will not satisfy them, and so the plot thickens.

2 Timothy 3:16

New International Version (NIV)

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[ a ] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

too true Trevor. Even if Jehovah did or didn't inspire the bible writers, to me what is being described in the Garden of Gethsemane sounds vey much like "the hero's dilemma" which is an internal conversation an individual has when confronted with unimaginably hard choices. The hero's dilemma is a very common form of art in ancient texts and is always moving as it resonates with us and elicts questions about our engagement with the world around us. It occurs in tragedy and in homer. So this form has a long tradition in storytelling and in myth but conversely it is new everytime it is retold.

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

Trevor, what I find interesting about those two verses (2 Tim, 3:16 & 17) is that people use circular reasoning to apply the verses to the whole bible. Obviously, the word "scripture" refers to previously written Jewish "scriptures", and not the new testament.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit