I'm new to the whole JW religion - Can someone please explain the basics?

by Jackals 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maze
    Maze
    Maze, why don't you tell him what the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society says about homosexuals and homosexuality before you send him to them?
    Then tell him honestly what you think about it.
    Then let him work out if you and they really have his best interests at heart.

I didn't know it was a gay relationship. In that case he may be better off learning the lies instead of the Truth :)

• Jackals
    Jackals

Hi Guys,

Really appreciative of all the comments, it means alot! Please bear in mind that this post wasn't intended to be about sexuality or mine and Tim's relationship. I don't wish to start a debate over that, it is what it is.

Cheers,

Jack

• Intel
    Intel

Jackals, you're in the wrong place to learn anything true and genuine about Jehovah's Witnesses. This forum mainly consists of a group of individuals that have deviated from true worship and are apostate fighters of God.

But shun empty speeches that violate what is holy; for they will advance to more and more ungodliness, and their word will spread like gangrene. Hy·me·nae′us and Phi·le′tus are of that number. These very [men] have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred; and they are subverting the faith of some. 2 Timothy 2:16-18

You will see foul mouths and evidence of ungodliness here. One of the more popular threads right now reads: An open letter to the Governing Body: Go F*ck Yourselves

The Bible and the Watchtower Society's publications provide excellent descriptions of apostates.

g03 2/8 p. 13 Is There an Unforgivable Sin?

Some people who were once faithful Christians have purposely drawn away from God, perhaps because of bitterness, pride, or greed, and are now apostate fighters against God’s spirit. They willfully oppose what the spirit is clearly accomplishing. Have these individuals committed the unforgivable sin? Jehovah is the final Judge.—Romans 14:12.

If you want to learn about Jehovah's Witnesses, I'd visit a local congregation and talk to the congregation elders.

Hahahahahahahahaha, Maze. Most elaborate Troll I have seen in a loooong time. You even took the extra effort to make it look "genuine"....Thumbs up for that. I almost fell for it.....

• dgp
    dgp

Jack, I'm a worldly like you. Learning what this religion is about can be a huge thing and it can take long months for concepts to really sink. In my opinion, checking this forum and reading the information on JWFacts.org is the best way to learn.

If you want a nutshell: it's a mind control cult that makes many, many people miserable. But if I just give you the words, and you don't find out by yourself, it won't feel to you that you have really learned something.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi Jack. Nice to meet you.

The primary doctrine, the one that holds them all in captivity, is that the Watchtower was selected by Jesus in 1919 to be God's sole channel of communication to mankind in our day.

As long as they believe that, the WT can get them to believe just about anything.

Combining that belief with all seeing invisible space creatures spying on your behaviour day and night and an easily offended bi-polar killer god bringing Doomsday any day soon and you have a recipe for a nut job. Which I was for many years.

It doesn't matter if they are not a practicing, preaching JW going to the Hall every Sunday or a tatooed, unbaptised born-in who peddles drugs, if they don't fully understand that that doctrine is a load of bollocks, they are damaged goods and are likely to run back to the cult when the right triggers are pushed.

Cheers

Chris

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Ultimately, Jehovah's Witnesses only have one solid doctrine: Whatever the Governing Body of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is currently saying, is what all Jehovah's Witnesses must believe. All other beliefs are subject to change, based on the intelligence and mental health of a few self-absorbed old men who are trying to convince everybody they're prophets, while refusing to accept the responsibility of telling the truth.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Jackals, you're in the wrong place to learn anything true and genuine about Jehovah's Witnesses. This forum mainly consists
    of a group of individuals that have deviated from true worship and are apostate fighters of God.
    If you want to learn about Jehovah's Witnesses, I'd visit a local congregation and talk to the congregation elders.....Maze

So..

You want to send 2 Gay Guys to talk to,Terminally Homophobic JW Elders?..

LOL!!..

What a Frigg`in Moron!..

......................;-) ...OUTLAW

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Really Maze?

By your logic, if someone wants to know the truth about the Catholic Church, they should ask the Pope. If someone wants to know the truth about the Republican party, ask Rush Limbaugh. If someone wants to know the truth about tobacco health risks, ask the president of RJ Reynolds.

Also, by your standard, nothing the Watchtower says about "false religion" or government should be paid any attention, since it's an opposing viewpoint from an outside source.

• Maze
    Maze
    So..
    You want to send 2 Gay Guys to talk to,Terminally Homophobic JW Elders?..
    LOL!!..
    What a Frigg`in Moron!..
    ......................;-) ...OUTLAW

The elders are not homophobic, they just believe it is morally wrong.

What! Do you not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom. And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean, but you have been sanctified, but you have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

A homosexual is viewed no different than a fornicator. There are homosexuals that have become Jehovah's Witnesses. There's not a bigoted view of alternative lifestyles amongst Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Jackals
    Jackals

Apologies if this seems like a naive thing to say, but if I reconcile being gay with God and ask for his forgiveness, is that not adequate?

Jack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit