Jehovah deserves to die - according to his own Law.

by Essan 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

Trust me- you don't want to convert in an Orthodox Synagogue- who would want to live like that anyway? Unless you are rich and can afford two kitchens to keep meat and milk utensils and food apart, then you will be eating on a lot of paper plates. Comes Passover- the counters will all be covered with aluminum foil- bring out the Passover dishes, silverware and pans- ugh, no way jose. Park your car and walk on the Sabbath- you are not even allowed to use a pen and paper to write something down.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'But other Jews who are not orthodox don't think they are any better or any worse than somebody who is not Jewish..'

I'm generally for the middle class. If people wanna be part of a system that considers them to be inherently lower level, that's their business. That's how the ot part of the bible is, anyway, if people take it for what it says. Even if taken allegorically, that idea is still there. The ot god is the alpha of the pack. Then, it goes down from there, angels, the chosen humans, the other humans. Christianity tries to change it a bit, but there is a lot of dissonence in it's attempt to do an overlay.

S

• Curtains
    Curtains

god came to die for his own sins

Now that does make sense

• Robdar
    Robdar

I agree, Moshe. One of the rabbis who gave lectures to my conversion class was a conservative Jew who kept a kosher kitchen. He and his wife were lovely hosts but, man, what a pain in the neck to have to follow all the customs.

Passover passed me by this year. I have been ill and I just didn't feel like schlepping to Kansas City in order to find Kosher meals. However, I did eat a lot of vegetables which are considered kosher. I just didn't hunt down and eradicate all the leavened crumbs that might be hanging around my house, and I didn't clean out my freezer of leavened products. Besides, I never feel I am doing the ritual correctly.

There are only a handul of Jews in Joplin and although they are supposed to be reform, the whole ceremony is in Hebrew and I just cant follow along since I cant recall most of the Hebrew I had to learn for conversion. I also quit going because I do not feel the presence and peace of Shekinah during shabbat. That may be because we havent a rabbi. We only have visiting, student rabbis, when we have a rabbi at all.

When I do celebrate Shabbat on Friday evenings, I do it at home with my prayer book.

• moshe
    moshe

We Like going to Sabbath Services and we have wonderful lady Rabbi/cantor, but we also like just lighting candles and doing Shabbat at home. Passover is hard for us here- not enough Kosher food items in our stores and due to my wife's broken arm we didn't feel like doing the 2 hour drive to Ft Lauderdale to the Kosher stores. I get the feeling that most Jews here just do the Passover Seder and eat Matzo instead of bread for a week- that is the extent of Passover in SW Florida. The Kosher food industry is a gimmick, IMO.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I think that unless a Jew lives on the east or west coasts, kosher food is difficult to get. There are more Jews in KC than in Joplin but even then there are only small communities and there are not many merchants who will cater to their Jewish customer's needs. I guess there just aren't enough of us around to have a very big impact. That is why I do not understand the Jewish Conspiracy folk. There just aren't that many of us to worry about.

• Essan
    Essan

Hey fellas, referencing an obscure law given to ancient Israel is not an invitation to unrestrained general Jewish themed discussion.

Oy Vey!

(That was meant to be lighthearted. If you're enjoying yourselves, carry on. LOL)

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Jehovah does not exist. So he cannot die.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Oy! Sorry to highjack Essan, but I was enjoying myself. I'll sign off for now. Got to go to the grocery to get the ingredients for chicken korma and naan. I know, I know, it's not kosher but it tastes so good!

• Essan
    Essan

LOL, No problem Robdar, as I said I was being lighthearted. Enjoy your sinful meal :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit