World Destruction

by Maze 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• d
    d

Things have really improved over the years. People I know talk about how the 50's were better. But that time period was filled with racism and the begining of the cold war.In this year, things have really improved such as medicine and technolgy.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

An example of double-think.

The world is now worse than it ever has been. AND things are getting worse, in fact things are so bad that "it" is proof we're in the last days / end times.

Meanwhile back in reality, people are living longer and the 'issues' of the day are how can we make things better for the majority of people i.e. environmentally, socially - healthcare etc. Murder rates have fallen substantially from the 60s/70s. More people than ever are getting a college education.

As a single woman there is no time in history in which I would prefer to live:
    I can vote.
    I have recieved a fairly good state funded education.
    I'm in the UK so I have access to adequate heathcare - for which I am grateful.
    I can work to support myself - I don't have to get married and be dependent on someone else.
    Racism, sexism and homophobic bigotry are gradually being eliminated.
    Religion is slowly losing its political influence.

Of course there are problems in society - but there always have been and there always will be.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

@Maze: where are these mysteriously deadly diseases COMING FROM?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Pika, diseases are so much more complicated nowadays. Back when life was simple, people died of plague, sepsis, scurvy, or consumption. That is, if they made it past infancy.

• still thinking
    still thinking

The world is SO MUCH BETTER NOW.....REALLY? Compared to what?

The world hunger problem: Facts, figures and statistics

• In the Asian, African and Latin American countries, well over 500 million people are living in what the World Bank has called "absolute poverty"

• Every year 15 million children die of hunger

• For the price of one missile, a school full of hungry children could eat lunch every day for 5 years

• Throughout the 1990's more than 100 million children will die from illness and starvation. Those 100 million deaths could be prevented for the price of ten Stealth bombers, or what the world spends on its military in two days!

• The World Health Organization estimates that one-third of the world is well-fed, one-third is under-fed one-third is starving- Since you've entered this site at least 200 people have died of starvation. Over 4 million will die this year.

• One in twelve people worldwide is malnourished, including 160 million children under the age of 5. United Nations Food and Agriculture

• The Indian subcontinent has nearly half the world's hungry people. Africa and the rest of Asia together have approximately 40%, and the remaining hungry people are found in Latin America and other parts of the world. Hunger in Global Economy

• Nearly one in four people, 1.3 billion - a majority of humanity - live on less than $1 per day, while the world's 358 billionaires have assets exceeding the combined annual incomes of countries with 45 percent of the world's people. UNICEF

• 3 billion people in the world today struggle to survive on US$2/day.

• In 1994 the Urban Institute in Washington DC estimated that one out of 6 elderly people in the U.S. has an inadequate diet.

• In the U.S. hunger and race are related. In 1991 46% of African-American children were chronically hungry, and 40% of Latino children were chronically hungry compared to 16% of white children.

• The infant mortality rate is closely linked to inadequate nutrition among pregnant women. The U.S. ranks 23rd among industrial nations in infant mortality. African-American infants die at nearly twice the rate of white infants.

• One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night.

• Half of all children under five years of age in South Asia and one third of those in sub-Saharan Africa are malnourished.

• In 1997 alone, the lives of at least 300,000 young children were saved by vitamin A supplementation programmes in developing countries.

• Malnutrition is implicated in more than half of all child deaths worldwide - a proportion unmatched by any infectious disease since the Black Death

• About 183 million children weigh less than they should for their age

• To satisfy the world's sanitation and food requirements would cost only US$13 billion- what the people of the United States and the European Union spend on perfume each year.

• The assets of the world's three richest men are more than the combined GNP of all the least developed countries on the planet.

• Every 3.6 seconds someone dies of hunger

• It is estimated that some 800 million people in the world suffer from hunger and malnutrition, about 100 times as many as those who actually die from it each year.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Here are the lyrics to the song...World Destruction....It was relevant in the 80's...and it's relevant today.

Speak about destruction (x3)

This is a world destruction, your life ain't nothing
    The human race is becoming a disgrace
    Countries are fighting with chemical warfare
    Not giving a damn about the people who live
    Nostradamus predicts the coming of the Antichrist
    Hey, look out, the third world nations are on the rise
    The Democratic-Communist Relationship,
    won't stand in the way of the Islamic force
    The CIA is looking for you
    The KGB is smarter than you think
    Brainwash mentalities to control the system
    Using TV and movies - religions of course
    Yes, the world is headed for destruction
    Is it a nuclear war?
    What are you asking for?
    This is a world destruction Your life ain't nothing
    The rich get richer
    The poor are getting poorer
    Fascist, chauvinistic government fools
    People, Moslems, Christians and Hindus
    Are in a time zone just searching for the truth
    Who are you to think you're a superior race?
    Facing forth your everlasting doom
    We are Time Zone We've come to drop a bomb on you
    World destruction, kaboom, kaboom, kaboom!
    This is the world destruction, your life ain't nothing
    Nationalities are fighting with each other
    Why is this? Because the system tells you
    Putting people in faceless categories
    Knowledge isn't what it used to be
    Military tactics to control a nation
    Who wants to be a president or king? Me!
    Mother Nature is gonna work against you
    Nothing in your power that you can do
    You and I know it, cause the Bible tells you
    If we don't start to look for a better life,
    the world will be destroyed in a time zone!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Still thinking, I laugh when hubby plays that thirty years old song. It is proved wrong. I suspect we are genetically coded to expect near-annihalation. We've come close several times in our evolutionary history. The great famines in China come to mind. The premodern famines took out a greater percentage (up to a third) of total human population, even though the numbers are lower.

Let's take a look at infant mortality. No matter how dire it is in parts of the world today, it's much better than it was.

"Of all the ways in which childhood has changed since premodern times, perhaps the most significant has been the dramatic decrease in the likelihood of dying during the first year of life. Although we can only estimate levels and trends of infant mortality prior to the most recent centuries, it seems probable that through much of human history 30 to 40 percent of all infants born died before they could celebrate their first birthdays. Today, in even the most underdeveloped and high-mortality regions of the world, barely a tenth do." Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood in History and Society

• still thinking
    still thinking

Is it a nuclear war?
    What are you asking for?

THis is not a statement...it is a question...how do we want to be destroyed?

When you combine world starvation...along with increasingly reduced fertility rates for men. Maybe we are destroying the human race. But not by atomic bomb...but by destroying our planet...by the chemicals we use. By continual destruction of our rain forests....by desensitization...by what we do.

We don't even need a god to destroy the world.....humans left to their own devices are more than capable of doing it themselves.

That is one of the reasons why they pump so much money into trying to find other planets humans could survive on....once we wreck this one...they want to be able to go somewhere else.

• metatron
    metatron

Oh please, more of this 'doom and gloom' Awake mentality. People in developed world are living longer than ever, the birth rate is plunging just about everywhere and despite all of the lying predictions about world famine, in the 1970's, OBESITY is now a worldwide problem.

metatron

• still thinking
    still thinking

Obesity is a problem, for people who can buy food. Not for people who have no food.

You have to be kidding me? Are you that caught up in your own world that you do not know how many people die every day because of hunger and malnutrition? They have no choice.

This has NOTHING to do with Awake mentality. (by the way, the world does not revolve around JW thinking). You don't have to disagree with everything just because some JW said it too. Some issues just are. Your denial of them does not make them go away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit