WATCHTOWER WRONGFULL DEATH LAWSUIT - UPDATE

by Lawrence Hughes 59 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

Interesting post Steve . . .

I noticed in the abstract summary that apart from bone marrow, hepatic and renal function results, no comment is made on other hematic changes ie; red blood cell changes. This appears to have been at the centre of Bethany's complications. Any information on this aspect you are aware of?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Hi Nickolas,

The Calgary Sun got the story completely wrong. If you check out the Calgary Herald or the National Post newspapers for that day you will get an accurate account of the appeal decision. I believe they were both front page articles.

Lawrence

I am really interested in this case but can't find anything in the newspaper sites. I did find a scan of the front page of the January 28, 2010 National Post http://en.kiosko.net/ca/2010-01-28/np/ca_national_post.html but the story's not there. Can you please provide urls? Thanks.

• Curtains
    Curtains

hi Lawrence

great news. I'd also like to see the newspaper report you mention as I want to show it to a family member. Is there a link please.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I'm just realising those articles may not be available online anymore. However, I'm sure you must have kept copies for the files you have been putting together to organise the facets of the case. If you could scan and post them, that would be greatly appreciated. Like Curtains, there are some people I'd like to share them with, too.

(Lawrence is past his newbie posting limit, so we may have to wait awhile).

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Thought you might like to know that Lawrence's legal bills are huge and he has been handling most of it himself along with contributions from many wonderful people during the past nine years. However, the well is getting dry, so if anybody can see their way possible to help out, it would be appreciated so much.

If many of us sent just a little, his next court bill for a a couple of thousand will be paid. The Calgary economy is getting better and Lawrence, who has been out of work, expects to be working again very soon. (He's an architect supervisor.) He hates to ask especially since this case has been going on for so many years and some people are quite critical that he took this on without lots of money in the bank. But he did it, and has been successful in a number of very important areas. Personally, we think that just the media coverage informing the Canadian people about WT's horrific blood policy resulting in so many needless deaths has been worth all the money that has been spent.

Sincerely,

Barbara and Joe Anderson

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Worth repeating:

Thought you might like to know that Lawrence's legal bills are huge and he has been handling most of it himself along with contributions from many wonderful people during the past nine years. However, the well is getting dry, so if anybody can see their way possible to help out, it would be appreciated so much.

Thank you Lawrence. Your cause is our cause!

• Lawrence Hughes
    Lawrence Hughes

Hi Juan,

When I tried to open the PM there was an error message. You can email me at [email protected]

Hi Nickolas,

After I scan the newspaper article, how do I paste it onto this thread?

Hi Band on the Run,

I have had similar difficulties finding a lawyer. Most firms I went too wanted about $50,000 to do a risk assessment to determine whether the odds were in their favour to win. That does not mean that they will actually take the case but that it will cost $50,000 to find out. That is with me paying them by the hour if they decide to take the case. I don't see what risk there is for them. I agree that if I had a big fat trust fund or a suitcase full of money that I would have no problem finding a lawyer.

Lawrence

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Billable hours are everything. It is very sophisticated. In real life, they want total horror stories. The firm is risking capital and turning down other cases. If they don't get an award, they receive nothing. If cases were so clear cut, parties would just settle.

I've seen how lawyers can be powerful counselors and advocates. Recently, I had a health insurance premium problem. Contract law was not on my side but I knew from practice that public opinion and discretion can work wonders in addition to the law. The lawyer I sought could not be bothered to draft a letter I needed. She refused to make a few three minute phone calls. It appalled me. I know the law and I've seen its majesty when both parties have money. People who don't know must get trampled. Money makes money.

Justice only exists when both sides are in equal bargaining positions. It wasn't always this way in America. Lawyers made good, middle class money. Someow the market became red hot and money changed the tone. It was one a gentlemen's profession. Now it is an industry.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I offer a few corrections to Maze’s comments. Health care is a provincial responsibility. The Federal government has sponsored publicly funded health care, which it achieves by offering transfer payments to the provinces. It may withdraw funds if the province strays too far from Federal intent.

Quality of care? There are federal, provincial, and professional standards of care.

Who is suing whom? Lawrence Hughes is representing the estate of Bethany Hughes. I imagine the argument is that Bethany was poorly informed of her options, so could not have given informed consent. I believe the Watchtower Society, the provincial health authority, the Cross Cancer Institute here in Edmonton, and Bethany’s assigned doctors will all be named in the suit.

When Bethany was first diagnosed as a minor, temporary custody was granted to Children’s Services, and blood transfusions were administered. A minor cannot give informed consent. As Bethany’s illness progressed, her status changed to “mature minor” and she was allowed to make her own choices regarding her health care. She chose the treatment spoken of by Lawrence Hughes, and refused any more blood transfusions. She died.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've gone to source, and the only court of appeal document I can find was in May 2009. If I get the points right, Lawrence Hughes cannot introduce fresh evidence, and this appeal was dismissed. http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb/2003-/ca/civil/2009/2009abca0187.pdf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit