WATCHTOWER WRONGFULL DEATH LAWSUIT - UPDATE

by Lawrence Hughes 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Violia
    Violia

did I miss a place to donate? Lawrence please keep going. The man who started " America's most wanted" did it for much the same reasons that drive you forward. His son had been taken from him by a horrible act of crime. You can save other jws children's lives.It wont' bring Bethany back but it will give your life purpose and provide release of grief.There should be donate buttons on all x-jws sites to help Lawrence. He is fighting for our family members who are still in this cult.

God bless you Lawrence, I hope and pray you succeed . It just takes one motivated person to make something happen. Ask the man who started " Americans most wanted" , He knows how you feel.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    There should be donate buttons on all x-jws sites to help Lawrence.

I agree with this . . . there will be those who wish to support from all over the world . . . this case needs all the support it can possibly get . . . there is much at stake and everything to gain here

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks for answering my questions Lawrence. I'm so glad the judges' panel asked the lawyers' searching questions around the issue of "consent". Too often the Watchtower couches its commentary on blood around the individual's right, ignoring the fact that the elders and others are often hovering around closely to see what the individual is choosing. All the very best.

• Violia
    Violia

http://watchtowerlawsuit.com/id110.html

this appears to be the website and on the left side there is a way to donate, including pay pal.

• Maze
    Maze

Child Welfare League of Canada would be liable as well unless the 16 year old was recognized by the medical practitioners as an adult when she made her decision about receiving blood.

• Maze
    Maze

Health care in Canada is delivered through a publicly-funded health care system, which is mostly free at the point of use and has most services provided by private entities. It is guided by the provisions of the Canada Health Act. The government assures the quality of care through federal standards. It doesn't make any sense for Canada's government run healthcare system to allow a person to legally refuse blood and then sue a "guilty" party. The Canadian government would be liable for cooperating with the 3rd party. They would simply incorporate into their healthcare system policies that a person can't refuse blood for religious or personal reasons. Blood has been forced on people in the US, so such a tactic would be nothing new.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

oh maze, you thread killer you.. muahhaha.. /me runs.

• steve2
    steve2

It doesn't make any sense for Canada's government run healthcare system to allow a person to legally

refuse blood and then sue a "guilty" party.

"Sense" is very much a matter of perspective and can be very elastic. For example, while most JWs would consider JW Maze's participation on an anti-JW forum nonsensical and even dangerous, Maze doesn't hold the same "sense". Equally, just as The Watchtower Society has questioned conventional "sense" and had their "rights" championed by the Supreme Court, let's allow the Courts to address this issue and deliver a verdict.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Although Canada and the U.S. have different rules concerning contingencies, lawyers in the U.S. don't gamble with their time. They want easily proven liability and, almost more importantly, damages from which to garner a fee. I had personal problems finding a lawyer to take a case where the liability was clear but the damages uncertain. When I practiced at a large NY law firm, all these very wealthy people had the firm on retainer. If someone looked at them cross-eyed, they had a lawyer call. It makes a big difference. I can't find someone to do minor legal work b/c they want a fat check. A lot of small work aggregates to a large one.

This case is so distressing. I don't have time now to read the articles. How did your wife have the power to decide treatment or was your daughter old enough to decide? I am shocked b/c the WTBTS has decent lawyers. Prescribing arsenic as a cure sounds like an engraved invitation with a horse drawn carriage for a massive lawsuit. Also, how is a poison palliative? Does it bring relief from pain?

I expect I would lose my mind. In the US, parties can be assessed costs for frivolous law suits but it is very hard to prove frivollity. The system is so draining.

I know basic law in so many areas. When I broke my ankle, I knew I had a some negligence claim. I travelled from law firm to law firm and they made me feel as though I never attended law school. I look for negligence first and then think of damages. They see damages first and if large enough, will find liability. Time and time again I can't find a lawyer when I know if I had a trust fund, the best lawyers would be committed to my rights. It strikes me that lawyers no longer assert rights and claims. Rather, they are business people. The sense of a profession is vanishing.

• steve2
    steve2

Hi Band on the Run, yes arsenic (trioxide) is used in palliative care. In some studies it has reduced the advancement of specific cancers - but in some quarters, its use was controversial. Here's an abstract from one medical research journal:

Anticancer Drugs. 2003 Nov;14(10):825-8.

Combined effect of topical arsenic trioxide and radiation therapy on skin-infiltrating lesions of breast cancer-a pilot study.

Lai YL, Chang HH, Huang MJ, Chang KH, Su WH, Chen HW, Chung CH, Wang WY, Lin LH, Chen YJ.

Source

Hospice and Palliative Care Center, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan.

Abstract

It has been reported that arsenic trioxide (As2O3) is an apoptosis inducer and radiation sensitizer for various cancer cell lines. In this study of breast cancer patients, we examined the combined effect of topical As2O3 and radiation therapy on fungating and/or skin-infiltrating lesions of breast cancer. The dermatological, gastrointestinal, hematological, renal and hepatic toxicities of the treatment were also monitored. As2O3 gel (0.05%) was applied to tumor lesions 1 h prior to delivery of each fraction, with the gel removed about 5 min before the irradiation. Superficial radiation was delivered using an electron beam from a linear accelerator. Every week, the tumor lesions were photographed to evaluate effectiveness, and blood was sampled to monitor changes in hemogram and biochemical profile. Seven breast cancer patients with cutaneous metastasis were enrolled in this study. In terms of tumor, the rates for complete, partial response and stable disease were 42.9 (three of seven), 42.9 (three of seven) and 14.3% (one of seven), respectively. The skin pain, assessed by a visual analog scale, and secretion from all of the seven superficial and fungating wounds decreased markedly after treatment. Significant bone marrow suppression or granulocytosis was not noted. Further, changes in renal and hepatic function were also not significant. It seems reasonable to conclude that As2O3 may be an effective and safe radiosensitizer for palliative radiotherapy for skin-infiltrating lesions of breast cancer.

PMID:
    [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit