What do you really know about "Millions Now Living Will Never Die"?

by Terry 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

As TD accurately stated, " Israel enters into Canaan in 1575 B.C. -Sabbath and Jubilee cycles begin (Lev 25:10) Seventy Jubilees = 3500 years. (Seventy = Years in Babylonian captivity) 3500 - 1575 = 1925 (Note lack of zero year in this calculation too!)

NOW, just for the sake of argument, let's say that *maybe* somehow our calculations are one JUBILEEE cycle off. Look what we get: 1975.

Thus we have " Bible-based™ Chronological Arithmetic FOR Dummies, BY Dummies".

• Terry
    Terry

NOW, just for the sake of argument, let's say that *maybe* somehow our calculations are one JUBILEEE cycle off. Look what we get: 1975.

Uh oh--watch out for 2025!

The Kata-Foy Artifact

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Your inveterate gambler analogy is actually very interesting, Terry. One really has to wonder what drives the prophets of the Watchtower to put their dicks on the line so often and so foolishly. I think I'll ponder on it awhile.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Terry,

One of the big revelations in my research was uncovering the truth behind the statements being made by WTBS in those years. When I began cross-refrencing quotes in recent literature (mostly full of elipses) with the original material it became obvious that not only was it wrong, but that the current leadership of the WTBS knew it was wrong.

Example (may not be word for word, I no longer have my 1974 Yearbook which was a goldmine for this stuff) has a "quote" from the 1919 "advertise" speech that runs something like:

"Do you believe....then advertise, advertise, advertise the king and kingdom."

The missing material was all about how the time of the end began in 1874 and a bunch of other stuff no current JW would recognize as "the truth."

The did the same thing with the millions campaign and statements about Beth Sarim.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I know that it isn't Millions Now Living MAY Never Die.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

You could say the WTS are speculative investors who created dates and calculations to draw the publics attention, similar to what

Harold Camping has done recently. Does this pay off ? It certainly does HC and his ministries accumulated millions by this sales tactic.

Thats money that has non-refundable stamped on it. Likewise all the money and land donated to the WTS is non-refundable and its

accumulated wealth of over a billion dollars world wide is theirs to keep. Who says religion doesn't pay out, quite frankly the odds

are in favor that you'll be successful, particularly with Apocalyptic doomsday religious cults.

There is no regulatory body that discerns what a religion/person can say, the door is left wide open and thats why there are so

many disingenuous crooks/charlatans operating in the States, they have free rein and are knowingly aware of that fact .

• Terry
    Terry

People's lives are very mundane.

Life can be boring.

Work. Pay bills. Blow your nose.

Everybody craves EXCITEMENT!

Who wouldn't want a huge change that reboots the whole universe???

It is win/win. Just get people stirred up about the BIG BAD END OF THE WORLD DATE and then stoke the fires.

Even when it blows over the rush is like a ride on a big roller coaster. Adrenaline rush is well worth it.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I am more convinced than ever Rutherford was all about what would work . . . not what was truth

Isn't it ALL obviously flim-flam?

Judge Rutherford . . . the Flim Flam Man!

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Fascinating to see how current publications turn what really should be an utter embarrassment into a matter of pride.

From 1918 until 1925, the talk “Millions Now Living Will Never Die,” which explained the hope of everlasting life on earth, was presented by Jehovah’s servants in over 30 languages worldwide.

The book, of course, did more than "explain the hope of everlasting life"; it made a dogmatic prediction about a specific date that was quickly shown to be 100 per cent wrong. WTS publications correctly assume that their drones will make no attempt to verify their statements. When I studied the Revelation book I accepted what it said (pg. 165) when it described "The Finished Mystery" as "a powerful commentary on Revelation and Ezekiel. Only after I left the religion did I read parts of that book and realise what rubbish it was.

• Ding
    Ding

When your bold predictions of the end fail, just wait a little while and hype another date.

It's worked for Camping and it's worked for the WTS even more.

A whole new group of followers signs on, oblivious to earlier failures.

They even get repeat followers based on recalculations and claims of invisible fulfillments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit