New Here, Hello Guys - New website idea

by garbonzo 17 Replies latest jw friends

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

Hello, I'm a 'active' 17 yr. old JW, saw this site before when I was still searching for answers, I gotta say, it's not a good site to convert JWs, because most of the people on here seem to hate the "borg" (as you call it on here?) so much. I rather had to go on a scientific forum to get answers to my questions about JW (or rather the Bible in general) with a very open mind, and actually thinking to convert some of them if I was lucky. Rather, I saw that everything the society gave us was easily refutable, or on shaky grounds. Then I had a nice chat with an ex-JW, that just pinned the nail in the coffin. What I liked was that he was totally open minded, also, and didn't seem to hate the society. We both came to the same conclusions: The Bible is not inspired of God, but there probably is a creator / god / whatever you want to call it. Or an agnostic. I also, don't put down Evolution, I just see it as kind of rediculous, but I guess it's possible. It's not like it matters to know the truth, I guess we'll see when we die, right? xD We also both believe that the society is not intentionally trying to brainwash us, just like dictatorship in the beginning was never meant to be so brutal, it just happened. I think they believe they are truly doing God's work. It's evident if you read with an open mind.

I had a question, though. Is this site only have ex-JWs, or are JWs welcome to join, also, like that Topix section for JWs? Have you ever had debates with JWs and ex-JWs? If not, I don't see why not, it would only help bring people to see the true light, and if I had seen it when I was researching before, when I was like 14, I might not had wasted so much of my time studying.

Like I suppose many of you here who are 'active', I'm only so because of family. My parents aren't that strong, but I believe it would cause them too much hardache if they came to see the truth. Just like many of you felt after learning the truth, seeing that you wasted half or all of your life. Then, of course, there's always the chance that they become closed minded and fail to see the truth, then I would get the short end of the stick.

Right now, I'm just planning on going through the motions, doing as little as possible, then when I'm 18 - 19, move out and say I'm going to where the need is greater. :) Go there, spend like a month, enough for my publisher card to be transferred over, get the phone # to call in on the phone for meetings, then go to college. Then I would listen in while playing a game or something and call my parents up tell them what I 'learned' and make them think I'm still in. :) Good idea?

I also have an idea for a website, if there isn't already one:

Make a kind of JW archive website, where people post recordings of their meetings, underlined watchtowers, comments, etc. to help those of us who are just going through the motions because of family, I think there is a lot of those on here?

Unless of course there already is a site like this. Is there? I think it'd be fairly popular, especially with all the ones from JW.net, and we could keep it "apostate" free, so even real JWs come. Make a small amount of cash on ads? What do you think?

I don't want to waste my time having to come up with a comment, and underline my publications just so that I'd look good to my family, when there is a perfectly good comment made by an Elder, and a studied Watchtower in a congregation half way across the world. :P

I might be able to do this, if you guys think it's a good idea / there isn't one already. What do you think would be a good domain name? I have simple website design skills, although I wouldn't be able to contribute, since you know, 17 and still living at home, lol. I could probably tape the assemblies / conventions, since they are broadcast on a FM / AM frequency, which my recorder can pick up and record from.

- Garbonzo

• satinka
    satinka

Welcome to the forum, Garbonzo!

Is this site only have ex-JWs, or are JWs welcome to join, also, like that Topix section for JWs?

JWs come on here sometimes. Sometimes its accidental and sometimes it is on purpose. There are many active JWs who are members. Some of them are trying to leave --- without losing their entire families. Some are struggling with beliefs.

Have you ever had debates with JWs and ex-JWs?

Some JWs that come on here are very opinionated and want to get us back to the kingdom hall. So, yes, absolutely, there are sometimes debates. Debates about scripture and doctrine. Lively discussions are welcomed here. This is not a forum where no one is allowed to express a contrary opinion or idea.

Stick around...You will see.

I also have an idea for a website, if there isn't already one: Make a kind of JW archive website, where people post recordings of their meetings, underlined watchtowers, comments, etc. to help those of us who are just going through the motions because of family, I think there is a lot of those on here? Unless of course there already is a site like this. Is there? I think it'd be fairly popular, especially with all the ones from JW.net, and we could keep it "apostate" free, so even real JWs come. Make a small amount of cash on ads? What do you think? I don't want to waste my time having to come up with a comment, and underline my publications just so that I'd look good to my family, when there is a perfectly good comment made by an Elder, and a studied Watchtower in a congregation half way across the world.

I think yours is a great idea. I figure this is a good site for birthing such an idea because of the amount of traffic that frequents this forum. For example, our beloved Blondie posts a regular thread called "What you will NOT hear at this week's Watchtower Study" --- so in all seriousness, your idea could be added, too. Provided some JW is willing to do the work and share it.

Not to say a separate website would not work as well. Double negative. Meaning it would work fine! Just the issue of traffic.

Personally, I have not been to a meeting in eleven years. ..ancient history for me.

satinka

• Bar Kockhba
    Bar Kockhba

A debate between active JW's and the people on this site. I would pay pretty good money for tickets to that event.

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Hi and welcome Garbonzo,

My name is Teeny Pyjamas. I am an active JW, although I am an atheists and am only still in until they finally figure out who I am and disfellowship me. I am the founder of the www.AtheistsWeekly.com website. I created it for people who have always thought there was something seriously wrong with the Bible.

As we are currently working on improving the site, I advise you visit AtheistsWeekly.blogspot.com for the time being. I am also the founding member of www.JehovahsWitnessBlog.com. You can go there for all your other JW non-truths and needs. Use JWB as a supplementary guide. You can find out all you ever need, right here, on JWN.

With regards to your idea of a site, it simply wouldn't work, as I think we "apostates" would possibly take over.

Can I ask why you think evolution is ridiculous? Read through some of the articles on Atheists Weekly or some of the posts on here. I think you'll find it's the Bible's account of creation that is completely and utterly ridiculous.

My two cents...

• sizemik
    sizemik

Welcome to the Forum Bar Kockhba . . .

A debate between active JW's and the people on this site. I would pay pretty good money for tickets to that event.

Many of "the people on this site" are active JW's . . . I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head. If you feel inclined . . . search some of the previous threads on doctrinal issues . . . blood, 1914 etc . . . it won't cost you a thing.

Welcome to the Forum Garbonzo . . .

I gotta say, it's not a good site to convert JWs, because most of the people on here seem to hate the "borg" (as you call it on here?) so much.

Usually, the only thing that can convert a JW is him/herself . . . such is the nature of mind-control. Bear in mind that the majority here are not 17 year olds like yourself with your adult life ahead of you. Most have lost 20, 30, 40 years and even more to a deception . . . the best years of thier lives . . . I think most would be a little angry or resentful in those circumstances.

I suggest you concentrate on the issues that are important to you . . . there is a lot of good information to be found here. And do not just restrict yourself to JWN . . . there is plenty of value in other Forums. As for seeking knowledge . . . I would encourage you to do that as much as you can from a multitude of sources . . . and be sure it is based on provable facts. Develop your critical thinking abilities and learn . . . for it will determine the path and quality of your life.

As for JW's . . .

I think they believe they are truly doing God's work.

No argument with that . . . it's because they are mind-controlled by a religious cult . . . simple as that.

• RADHESYAM
    RADHESYAM

Sad to say but tickets to that debate would be like tickets to a Charlie Sheen winning tour....

we ALL know what would happen:

At the first irrefutable evidence of WTS being WRONG - the Dub will follow JW protocol:

fold and walk away citing that they cannot engage in such discussion with apostates and throwing a few quotes about bad associations.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi garbonzo and Bar Kockhbaa.

Don't confuse criticism of the bOrg or it's apologists with hate, garbonzo. That is a ploy used used by the bOrg in their rags and extensively by some apologists on forums such as this and Topix to try and extract sympathy. Remember that you can only see text on forums, not facial expressions and tone of voice.

I would pay pretty good money for tickets to that event

Me too, Bar. We occasionally do have argumentative apologists here who claim to be active, but they usually slip up and demonstrate that they are not active at all.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Hi Garbonzo

also be aware that not all active JWs on here want to debate. Some are just down right into pot stirring.

There are also those who even think they are the messiah...

And while the website idea is not a bad one, the Brooklyn mafia would soon shut it down.

oz

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome, different approaches work for different people. Personally I love this site, but I also find JWfacts and excellent resource.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Make a kind of JW archive website, where people post recordings of their meetings, underlined watchtowers, comments, etc.

There are *tons* of websites like that already, actually.

Topix.com

Beliefnet.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit