"Overlapping Generations"... one year later...

by Alfred 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alfred
    Alfred

Wow, it's hard to believe it's already been about a year since this subject was covered in the WT Study at Kindgom Halls around the globe... let's read it just one more time, so we don't forget just how ridiculous this sounded when we first read it...

Watchtower (Study Edition), April 15th, 2010 Issue, Pages 27-29:"This magazine has long been used by “the faithful and discreet slave” as the primary channel for dispensing increased light. ... What does this explanation mean to us? Although we cannot measure the exact length of “this generation,” we do well to keep in mind several things about the word “generation”: It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long; and it has an end. (Ex. 1:6) How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I believe this was the FIRST and LAST time the GB came up with this absurd "new light" regarding the "generation that shall not pass" (at least in print). I know they mentioned it once or twice in assemblies shortly thereafter, but this is quite possibly the very last time we'll ever hear anything about this "generation" teaching or shall I say the "two overlapping generations" teaching. It would appear the GB threw it out there to get the monkey off their backs and to take our pulse but then realized that not too many brothers were buying it... tolerating it, maybe.

But I think this will eventually go the way of 1975... When new JWs start bringing this up in about 5 years or so, "old-timer" JWs will surely say "the FDS never said such thing!... some brothers just misunderstood or were serving Jehovah until a certain date" or other JW-speak...

What say you?

• crazycate
    crazycate

Where else would such a ridiculous explanation not be attacked from within. Yes, within one generation there are varying ages, but no one has ever suggested, or ever would suggest, that my greatgrandfather and I are of one generation. Do we consider Teddy Roosevelt a baby boomer?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The over lapping generation is another reason that the WTS. is slowly dropping 1914 as a doctrine altogether.

It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long; and it has an end.

This can easily understood that the varying generations who witnessed the events of 1914 ( young and old )

will see the end of this system of things. The only problem with this new understanding ( New Light ) is the very youngest

of the generation of 1914, born in that year and the following preceding years are dieing off quickly now. 2014 is rapidly approaching and ones older

than a 100 years are few and far between.

In the truest sense the generation that saw or witnessed the events of 1914 was a self supporting marketing scheme for the publishing company

and it clearly did work for the organization. Quite frankly I see the 1914 dating calculation becoming old light after 2014 and beyond, for the

hierarchal leaders of this organization know that they have to maintain that all important believability factor around themselves.

God's only chosen earthly organization .

• therevealer
    therevealer

1914?? The precursors to the gb never said anything about that year. It was just some who just wanted to keep giving public lectures and not go in the field ministry that went on about that year. That was one of the reasons that control of the org had to be centralized into a gb. As more and more came to take on a false or misunderstood annointed standing because they were slightly off (looney) or confused because of their former affiliation with false religion, power had to be wrested from dillusional parts of the "faithful and discreet slave" and put into the hands of a few failthful and true annointed ones . . . and the story could go on and on and on. LOL

• Joliette
    Joliette

Happy 1 year anniversary overlapping generation bullshit.

Your presence finally led to my dismiss.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They floated it to the true believers in the fall of 2009 at either the Annual Meeting or Gilead Graduation, can't remember which. Only after the hardcore Dubs bought it did they give it the green light for the Watchtower. Then it went over like a dead baboon.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Whether its' the 'new light' having to do with the overlapping generation or 'new light' on some other cockamamie doctrine of the WTBTS- one thing is for certain: The WTBTS' endless pastime of speculating is like playing Russian roulette!

Its' a matter of wait and see which kooky 'new light' become 'lights out' for the GB. I'm looking forward to it!

• stapler99
    stapler99

Good point Alfred. But what will replace it? The whole idea of living in the time of the end since 1914 will expire as that date becomes ancient history.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I guess it's all a tribute to their inventiveness....or like P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute." That's what I feel I was....and I think no matter what new gobbledy-gook passes for "new light from God" the rank and file will accept it and go on.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It would be funny if all that remained of the GB were such company yes-men that none of them know how to formulate any ideas of their own. They spent decades kissing ass and ladder-climbing and now they're at the top they don't know how to do anything but vote yes on someone else's idea. When they feel really frisky one of them may even vote, "no" just to see the look on everyone else's face. But if there's no one pushing any sort of an agenda beyond the status quo, they're in trouble. And if there's just one stooge pushing his own agenda and that agenda happens to be as ridiculous as overlapping generations then they're in even bigger trouble.

We're only three years away from 2014. They've done nothing to prepare to cushion the blow that's going to cause.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit