Take a moment this Memorial Day weekend...

by Mr. Falcon 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

"Remember all the movies, Terry, we'd go see
    Trying to learn how to walk like heroes we thought we had to be
    And after all this time to find we're just like all the rest
    Stranded in the park and forced to confess
    To hiding on the backstreets"

~ Bruce Springsteen "Backstreets"

It's been almost 13 years now that I've lost my best friend. He was the closest thing I've ever had to a brother and not a day goes by that I don't think about him. He's gone. But I didn't lose him to cancer. I didn't lose him in a car accident. He didn't die in Iraq.

13 years ago he was disfellowshipped. 13 years ago he called me one last time to say goodbye and that due to his banishment, I wouldn't probably not be seeing him around anymore. I still remember that phone call and how the house looked dark and Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" was playing on the radio in the backroom. In the background Dylan wailed, "How does it feeeelllll?" Pretty lousy, Bob.

At that time in my life, while I didn't really believe the entire Jehovah's Witnesses brand of faith, I didn't really make any kind of stand for what was right. Perhaps I just was naive. Perhaps I was too worried about my own skin. It was never a matter of "doing what was right", but it was really no different than my situation now. I have too much to lose family wise and I just can't do it at this time.

I wonder what happened to him. I hope that he's okay and I hope that he's happy. I never pictured him as gone in the sense that the WTBS views him as such. He's not dead. He's out there and he's got his freedom, for better or worse. In a world without the Watchtower & Bible Tract Society, we would have never had to say goodbye. As Red sadly stated in Shawshank, "I guess I just miss my friend."

This Memorial Day Weekend, let's take time to reflect on those who we've lost because of blatently unfair religious differences. Let's remember the families who have been torn apart because a publishing company decided that this barbaric practice somehow equals God justice. Think of the friends who've had to say goodbye and the hearts that have been broken. Many of you have endured unspeakable suffering to win your freedom and peace of mind.

And I'll drink to that, my friends.

Joe, I hope that you're okay tonight and you've got scotch in your glass, brother.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Beautiful post. To your friend Joe and all those we've lost thanks to this religious sham.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

And here's to those like Mr. Falcon who remain in Limbo for family's sake. How I Wish You Were Here Also.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Broken Promises & OTWO - Thank you, my friends. Happy Memorial Day.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Falcon~ That was absolutely beautiful to read, yet heart-wrenching at the same time. Thank you for sharing that with us and giving us a reminder that the dead aren't the only ones missing this weekend...

I agree with OTWO...wish you were out here with us instead of still stuck in. You know that I completely understand the great personal sacrifice it takes to leave when you still have family in and you also know that we will all be here when you are completely ready.

Love ya, man!

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

great sentiments Falcon, I raise to you and to my lost friends- josh & clay...here's to you kids

CHG

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Morbidz - Thanks, m'lady. I'm working towards the daylight. It's comforting to know that there are people like all of you waiting for me at the other end.

CHG - If and when I ever truly get free, the first round is on me.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I hope you find your friend again on day Mr Falcon.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Thank you, Mon Capitan. Knowing the person isn't actually dead, just unable to communicate with you brings with its own unique hell.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Falcon, since he completely left the JW's, is there any way for you to find him? Facebook maybe? And just try to find out where he stands and go from there? If he's completely out and wants nothing to do with it, you could probably explain and apologize.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit