WARNING - THE WTBS CAN LOCATE YOU

by Jim Dee 67 Replies latest jw friends

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

fyi...cookies are not associated with your email id. They are associated with the id you logon to your pc with.

for all the non believersclick this link and see what it know about you: http://snoop.anonymizer.com/

that's all I have to add

• mommy
    mommy
    Re: WARNING - THE WTBS CAN LOCATE YOU

I know, I gave them my number
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• Jourles
    Jourles

rem said:

There is no way the WT can find your identity (legally) through IP addresses if you are a normal dialup/cable/satelite/dsl user.

Not exactly true. If you are running a personal web server over a statically OR dynamically assigned ip address and you visit a site such as jw.com using the same ip as your web server(say, behind your router if you are using one?), Simon can visit that ip address and viola! your personal web server is running for him(or anyone) to see. And if you happen to have all of your personal information on your web site for everyone to check out, well then, there you go. I have a personal web site running on one of my home computers, but never use that same connection for surfing the web for that exact same reason. I use a proxy connection for surfing. And if you can figure out my location from that, then you deserve to know who I am.

• rem
    rem

UR,

The 63.92.157.81 address is just from Rhett's ISP. SYN explained the trick well.

It looks like the Watchtower's web site is hosted on Verio:

[~@kcat ~]$ ping www.watchtower.org
    PING watchtower.org (130.94.149.224) from ~: 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 130.94.149.224: icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=120.6 ms
    64 bytes from 130.94.149.224: icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=117.2 ms

--- watchtower.org ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 33% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 117.2/118.9/120.6 ms

[~@kcat ~]$ whois [email protected]
    [whois.arin.net]
    Verio, Inc. (NET-VRIO-130-094)
    8005 South Chester Street
    Englewood, CO 80112
    US

Netname: VRIO-130-094
    Netblock: 130.94.0.0 - 130.94.255.255
    Maintainer: VRIO

Coordinator:
    Verio, Inc. (VIA4-ORG-ARIN) [email protected]

Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

NS0.VERIO.NET 129.250.15.61
    NS1.VERIO.NET 204.91.99.140
    NS2.VERIO.NET 129.250.31.190

Reassignment information for this block is
    available at rwhois.verio.net port 4321

Record last updated on 26-Sep-2001.
    Database last updated on 6-Feb-2002 19:56:46 EDT.

The ARIN Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
    Network Information: Networks, ASN's, and related POC's.
    Please use the whois server at rs.internic.net for DOMAIN related
    Information and whois.nic.mil for NIPRNET Information.

Just some useless info,

rem

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain
  • nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    The WTBS are extremely over rated in their authority and capabilities, and that is primarily due to typical JW profile demographics.

how quickly the students forget

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    Shades of '1984'. Don't know how effective this may or may not be, but I wouldn't put anything past this cult. Control is the name of the game.

I agree with RHW, I would put anything past them. I doubt the specifics of what is being said, however, I don't doubt the intent. I believe that Bethel is definitely using plumbers to probe their networks to bolt them down. I don't doubt that all email is scanned for words and phrases.

Ministry of Love.

Slipnslidemaster: "Just because I look sexy on the cover of Rolling Stone doesn't mean I'm naughty."
    - Britney Spears

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Just to add a few details to what SYN & Jourles have posted:

We will assume most users are dialing-up or using a broadband connection via ethernet topology (NIC & CAT 5). MAC addresses (hard coded my NIC mfg) can be "spoofed" rendering average ethernet sniffers unable to determine to hardware node address.

If your workstations or servers use FDDI adapters, then it is a moot point altogether.

Also, it is NOT absolutely 100% necessary to reside on the same subnet to determine this information, it really depends on the sophistication of the tools in use.

There are so many tools in this business now, it's getting redundant. The point is security is the user's responsibility. Don't take your ISP for granted. There are products out there that sample traffic between WAN links, so if someone HAS authority, and WANTS to capture your traffic, they CAN.

Tunneling and virtual connections with good transport & session software make it possible. I have used ZENWORKS to remotely install Windows on PC's separated by WAN links, upon user login, using IP only and a special client. As long as a connection exists, and the connection is powered, you can get to that machine.

The WTBS does not have or want this type of sophistication. They don't need it. They have something more powerful, the power of suggestion.

• rem
    rem

Jourles,

You are correct that if you are running a personal web server with all of your information available, then you are not exactly anonymous on the Internet. Though, if your IP address is dynamic (almost everyone's is nowdays) then a person might be able to figure out who you are if they try to browse the IP address right away, but after the IP address changes then that IP address will no longer point to your personal web server. So the chances of being found out are greatly reduced with dynamic IP addresses which are extremely common for normal consumer Internet access. If your IP address is static, then it can be easier to identify you.

rem

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain
  • Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Thx REM.

ICMP tells you alot. PING and TRACERT are basic, free and at least throw some numbers up on the screen for you to get started. Look at my first results (w/o modifying the TTL or size):

C:\>tracert 63.92.157.81

Tracing route to 63.92.157.81 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 156.120.14.240
    2 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms 156.120.198.1
    3 28 ms 26 ms 28 ms 156.119.85.1
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 73 ms 72 ms 74 ms 63.92.157.81

Even with tools and results and log files, there is never a guarantee that someone has NOT altered the results. Log files are usually text files and can be monkeyed with, like IIS Server and many others.

Almost everything in technology can be manipulated to some degree. That's what programming and scripting is all about. Making 1's and 0's do stuff.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

To NYTeleDUNG:

I am ignoring YOU in this thread. You hid like a coward from the last technical challenge, and besides we are having a very BASIC fundamental discussion which is still too advanced for you.

Go back to your NetBEUI / NETBIOS world and keep synchronizing those PDC's and BDC's. Don't forget to set up your trusts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit