DIM

Come and get me WTS!

• freeman
    freeman

Go ahead Watch Tower, make my day....

Freeman

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Still, I don't see how this can help them. All they will find out is who is visiting this board.

The only way this can help them is: If an insider posts info on this board himself, then clicks through to one of their phony sites. This would allow them to track the original post to the person's identity.

Almost all of the insider posts on this board are first sent to known apostates who then post them.

I can't imagine the society spending this kind of time and money to find out Kent's or Alan's e-mail address.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Shades of '1984'. Don't know how effective this may or may not be, but I wouldn't put anything past this cult. Control is the name of the game.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

By tracking (through software logs, cookies, java scritps, etc) your IP address, all they can accomplish is isolating an IP address that 99% of the time DOES NOT belong to user, but is leased to the ISP by the registrar.

Most ISP's use DHCP services (which assign IP addresses to connecting customers randomly from a pool of numbers) to connect users, therefore the IP address changes almost every time the user connects.

Another point; supposing the "digital theocratic crackers" discover apostate users and track their IP addresses through security software, and then somehow connect that with an e-mail address; what's the harm? Who here is using their "real" e-mail address? If you are, you are either already out of the WTBS, or do not care.

If you are a dial-up user, and your monthly connection is tied to your credit card, simply stop using internet explorer. Spend a few dollars and use a different browser. Learn something other than Microshaft Windows. It's terrible anyway. Or, hide under a rock and stop using the web.

If security is a concern, and you are worried/paranoid that the WTBS theocratic cyber-cops have ways of finding you, then simply use false information and register a false e-mail account at one of the free public services. Then, you're safe.

• moman
    moman

I wonder if "plugging leaks" is realy that big of a deal. The lawsuits & media coverage with Silent lambs etc., along with the defectors will play out to the world anyway. The TRUTH about the "Phony truth" will & is coming out fast & furious!
    Like the Taliban, this PIECE-OF-CHIT is going down!

DIE BORG DIE!

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Jim Dee: I have mixed feelings about your post, and here's why:

While I am not familiar with Carnivore, it seems odd to me that the FBI would develope such a program and then sell it. If they contracted it out, I can't imagine them not holding and demanding it remain classified and under FBI Copyright.

One the other hand, assuming the FBI let out such a program, I have absolutely no doubt that the WTS would get it for their own use to plug leaks, in-house.

We do know for a proven fact that the UK WTS was involved in the shut-down of an ex-JW site there. The site emerged again on another ISP. It makes sense that the WTS is concerned about ex-JWs on the Net.

The Society is very concerned about its London, UK office for a number of reasons. One of those reasons will be borne out when I start posting some trial information. It may come as a surprise to some to understand this, and how important London is to the Society. But it is practical, and very realistic for the WTS to do what they are doing.

Likewise, the WTS has placed Trolls from time to time, mostly to monitor. I would not be surprised that some are assigned by the Society to go onto a board, gain trust, and then try to get information, or discredit highly visible long-time rerspected posters.

The Society is also concerned about the level of civil and criminal lawsuits on the molestation issue. As this heats up, their publishing power, credibility, and assets are all up for grabs ... and this has to worry them.

Were I still a JW, acting in some secretive fashion, I would be most cautious anyway, whether the WTS was using investigative or tracking software. So, your admonsision to active, but disaffected JWs is good - and it needs to be said from time to time anyway.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

AMAZING:

There are numerous security and desktop management tools, like SNIFFER, PACKET SCRUBBER, IP-COP, etc. While the WTBS may have some actual qualified network and security engineers at Bethel, the results gained from "sniffing and snooping" are questionable.

A crime has to be committed, and reasonable suspicion is necessary for a federal judge to allow "surveillance procedures". If the WTBS used surveillance tools across internet links, without prior consent and approval perhaps they would be in more trouble than the alleged apostate.

Remember, packets can be traced in BOTH directions. ISP's use many of the same tools. People should exercise the necessary caution, and use common sense. Otherwise, surf from a cafe!

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Again Jim, you are just hanging on to JW urban legends here and don't have your facts straight.

If anyone wants to get the real scoop on the software the FBI developed here is the information and links:

http://epic.org/privacy/carnivore/

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/carnivore/carnivore2.htm

This information is from the FBI's own site:

In recent years, the FBI has encountered an increasing number of criminal investigations in which the criminal subjects use the Internet to communicate with each other or to communicate with their victims. Because many Internet Service Providers (ISP) lacked the ability to discriminate communications to identify a particular subject's messages to the exclusion of all others, the FBI designed and developed a diagnostic tool, called Carnivore.

The Carnivore device provides the FBI with a "surgical" ability to intercept and collect the communications which are the subject of the lawful order while ignoring those communications which they are not authorized to intercept. This type of tool is necessary to meet the stringent requirements of the federal wiretapping statutes.

The Carnivore device works much like commercial "sniffers" and other network diagnostic tools used by ISPs every day, except that it provides the FBI with a unique ability to distinguish between communications which may be lawfully intercepted and those which may not. For example, if a court order provides for the lawful interception of one type of communication (e.g., e- mail), but excludes all other communications (e.g., online shopping) the Carnivore tool can be configured to intercept only those e-mails being transmitted either to or from the named subject.

Carnivore serves to limit the messages viewable by human eyes to those which are strictly included within the court order. ISP knowledge and assistance, as directed by court order, is required to install the device.

If you look at the FBI site in more detail you see that the software has not been sold or licensed to commercial systems and still requires a court order. Please look at what the FBI say's in the same website:

The use of the Carnivore system by the FBI is subject to intense oversight from internal FBI controls, the U. S. Department of Justice (both at a Headquarters level and at a U.S. Attorney's Office level), and by the Court. There are significant penalties for misuse of the tool, including exclusion of evidence, as well as criminal and civil penalties. The system is not susceptible to abuse because it requires expertise to install and operate, and such operations are conducted, as required in the court orders, with close cooperation with the ISPs.
    So bluntly...your assertion that Carnivore is being used by the WTS is NOT TRUE.

There are monitoring programs that can be used to see what is going on in computers. Check this website for an example which advertises itself as a "Carnivore" knock off:

http://www.spectorsoft.com/default.asp?refer=336

These programs though must be installed with a CD-ROM onto the computer in question that is going to be monitored. So, the bottom line is you don't have to worry about the WTS using any Carnivore program.

Skipper

• rhett
    rhett

Ok, I've gone to lurking mode as of late but I just had to reply to this load of paranoia crap. I don't know who you are Jim but what you are tellin us is a load of crap that is obviously not written by someone who knows very much about the internet.
    Do you have any idea how Carnivore works? The FBI has to get an ok by a judge to go to a suspect's ISP. Once there, the FBI put one of their boxes on the ISP's network. That box watches for anything that goes in or out of their network that's coming from the suspect's PC. It works if they're using Window's, a Mac, Linux, or anything else. Do you really think that the WT could get a court order letting them put something like this on an ISP's network? I doubt it. At most they may have installed a packet filter at the UK branch that monitors everything going in and out of that office but that's not unusual at all. Most all companies have something like that on their networks.
    Saying you get spam because of the websites you visit is also crap. Have you ever looked at a webserver's logs? Nowhere, and I mean nowhere, are there any email addresses. IP addresses yes but email addresses no. Want to know how you get spam? You give your email out to a company that ends up selling it to other companies. A company sends out a bunch of blind emails and then when one doesn't bounce back they know that there's a valid account there that they sell to other companies.
    Hey everyone, follow this link and see what happens. For some reason this won't work right if you just click on it so make sure you cut and paste the entire address into your browser.
    http://watchtower.org@63.92.157.81/mxplk4.htm

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit