End of the World Predictions that Failed

by flipper 24 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

For any of you Christian or otherwise who feel that the " end of the world " is coming please refer to this historical list of failed " end of the world " prophecies which never happened : http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm .

History is complete with stories of failed , alleged " prophecies " of the coming of the end of the world- allegedly. News for everybody- Organized religion does this to control it's members through fear and guilt by telling them that they are all born sinners and that God is coming with a " day of reckoning " in which everybody has to " pay up " for their sins , or be rewarded - allegedly - for being better than other people who sin.

I'll say for the record- I think it's total control, manipulation, and scare tactics used by religion throughout history . Whether it's been Millerites, Jehovah's Witnesses, Harold Camping , or Adventists - all of it has proved to be a scam and falsehood designed to control people and instill fearmongering among them . Actually in my opinion it's criminal what religions have done in these predictions. Please feel free to check the link I posted, and as always I look forward to your takes, observations, and comments. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

Remember in the movie, "The Book of Eli" the bad guy was desperate to find a bible so he could rule the world. That is exactly what every religion does to control the masses. You have 1 billion catholics that don't use condoms because an old geman man (the pope) who has probably never ahd sex with a woman sez so!!!

I think 200 years from now, there will be some NEW scam!!!! The masses will STILL be waiting for the END!!!

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Couldn't agree more, Flip.

High control groups, love the carrot and stick approach. Relgions just employ this method on a grand scale.

Whether it be the heaven and hell story, OR the life on a paradise earth, versus a frightening death during the great battle of Armageddon at the hands of the Great Warrior, Jehovah of Armies along with his minions of highly powerful and very murderous angelic spirit creatures story- it's all the same poo poo.

The message is simple.

It's "Do as we say" and you'll get this (it's really GOOD!) - or "Don't do as we say" and you'll get this (it's really BAD!).

"Either way - we are in control of your destiny....don't adjust your set...we are in complete control..."

The Oracle

• rebel8
    rebel8

...and that's why the bible writer said there would be an end of the world...it was his/her motive too.

• sinis
    sinis

Does it really matter? The world as we currently know it, maybe has a couple of decades left, and that is being ubber generous. Mathematics, logic, etc. all point to an exponential growth in demand and GROWTH with a diminshed resource base. Nothing is infinite in a finite world. So either, we solve energy problems within the next few years (which by the way will push the population to true exponential growth), or we all live in poverty, or we have a massive die off. There is no Eutopian option. People say we will be colonizing the planets - maybe, but then again just to stay at par with CURRENT growth rates we would have to be launching MILLIONS of people every day to some other "planet" - not happening in our life time...

• flipper
    flipper

SOUTH CENTRAL- I agree- I think " end of the world " predictions will continue as long as humans are on the earth ! Predictions may keep coming for thousands of years more ! Who knows ? As long as there are superstitious humans around someone will think they " know " the end or have the answers.

THE ORACLE- Very true. " End of the world " predictions are a control mechanism used by religions to dominate the masses. It empowers humans over other humans by teaching them that the alleged " good " humans will live and the alleged " evil " humans will die . And all made to look pretty with frosting on the cake claiming to do it in God's name - thus excusing religious leaders from taking responsibility for the insane views.

REBEL 8- Exactly. It was just human Bible writers who predicted it putting forth their views ! Very true.

SINIS- Well- IF the world comes to an end, everybody will be affected. Churchgoing people or religious people would be affected by earth changes just as much as atheists - it would nOT be a judgment from God, just climactic changes or atmospheric changes dealing with the electrical grid.

However NOBODY knows for sure. If I was a betting man I'd say I'd put money on this same earth being here centuries from now and the world as we know it going into the year 2100 . Things might get rougher, but our children's children will still be here

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Greetings,

Sinis,

The world has many times when the end would seem imminent then man has come up with a technological breakthrough and the human family has flourished, no more talk of doom and gloom, man has always sorted his own problems out, I know it's not perfect, but let's respect humanity ability to get through things, let's not look to an unknowable and invisible god let's do it ourselves.

Let's have a big cheer for the human race!!!!

Star Tiger

• sizemik
    sizemik

It's not just the control over members and followers that is detrimental either IMO.

It's diversionary in nature for people in general . . . and creates an atmosphere of pessimism . . . "the worlds problems are too big to fix . . . let's get God to do it for us" kind of thinking. People mentally "abstain" from community responsibilty as a result.

If more chose to contribute positively to society, even in some small way, on a regular basis . . . then there is reason for optimism. A lot of fundamentalist belief does the exact opposite . . . encourages people to opt out.

If an individual is honestly attempting to contribute to the betterment of his fellow man . . . how could this invoke divine dissapproval?

I believe even the teachings of Christ are more about contributing than simply opting out.

• sinis
    sinis

Greetings,

Sinis,

The world has many times when the end would seem imminent then man has come up with a technological breakthrough and the human family has flourished, no more talk of doom and gloom, man has always sorted his own problems out, I know it's not perfect, but let's respect humanity ability to get through things, let's not look to an unknowable and invisible god let's do it ourselves.

Let's have a big cheer for the human race!!!!

Star Tiger

Your kidding, right? Look at energy charts juxtaposed with population growth back to around the mid 1800's. Where is this miracle energy coming from? Lets say, for shits and giggles, that man comes up with a new energy - you know, the kind that can be altered to make plastics, fertilizer, food, medicine (sort of like oil)... with easy ENERGY (look at the energy to population charts mentioned earlier) comes MASSIVE population explosions. In Eutopia, we might be able to feed everyone on the planet, given that we could control or modify the weather. However, we all know Eutopia does not exist. Look at Agenda 21. Its a serious topic where some of the most elite would be happy with a global carry capacity of 500 million. Man does not give two shits about his neighbor, its all about $$$$ which equals POWER. People are starving to death all over the world, slash and burn with thousands/millions of acres gone every day, massive bloodshed, dead hypoxic zones growing in the ocean, crop failures (US crop failure is big this year) due to uncontrollable weather, etc.

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Sinis,

I'm sorry maybe I live in a technological utopia, is agenda 21 part of the NWO, please explain!

Star Tiger

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit