Over 40 Lady and want a tatoo, What do you think?

by lovelylil 33 Replies latest jw friends

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

I have one. Just one, I like it and enjoy it, when I remember that it's there at all. It sort of felt like a rite of passage or a reclaiming of my body (since in the JWs I wasn't allowed to have one). If it makes you feel happy, I say go for it. People always ask "what about when you get old and if it gets stretched or wrinkly?" So what? Like I'm not going to have bigger things to worry about when I'm old.

I expected it to hurt a lot to get, but it didn't. No crying, it sort of felt like a buzzing or a light cat scratch. Once it was done, there was no residual pain or soreness. Make sure you go somewhere licensed and clean and sterile. Don't be afraid to visit many different tattoo artists, look at their portfolios, and ask questions about their practices (i.e., make sure that each needle comes out of a brand new packet and is disposed of afterwards, etc.)

It's a very personal thing, a tattoo. Think it over carefully, because it's permanent, but make the decision for yourself and not anybody else. If you get one, be prepared for people to occasionally say stupid/ignorant things or make comments that are none of their business. You learn to let it roll off your back. There's less of a stigma about it these days, but you still get those people who comment about "blemishing" the "temple" of your body. Fuck that. If you want it there, it's not a blemish.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great advice. Mouthy, thanks for the warning. I work in healthcare so I know about hepatitis. You only get that from contaminated needles. The thing is to make sure a NEW needle pack is opened right in front of you. That is the law here in MA anyway.

Loubell, That is a GREAT idea! I am going to put a fake Lilly tattoo on my shoulder this weekend and see how I like it! Thanks for the terrific advice.

Scully, glad you are happy with your Tattoo. 42 is certainly not too old (niether is 45), my hubby is a fuddy duddy, LOL.

Today my 84 year old patient told me to get the tattoo. She always wanted one and didn't do it because it would have been a scandal in her day. She would have been considered "loose". But her housekeeper has a large one on her back and she told me she saw it when the housekeeper bent over and LOVED it! She thinks tatoos are cool.

I picked the shoulder because I MUST keep it covered for work. I wear scrubs so no one will see it unless I have an open back shirt. I decided to do it because I was very overwieght for years and 2 years ago lost 80 pounds. This is my reward for myself. Am going to do it sometime this summer, will do a temp one first though.

Great advice everyone!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Brizzy,

Thanks! How are book sales going?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We had a friend who had a tattoo of a small rose on her breast when she was in her 30s. By the time she was in her 50s it was a long stemmed rose.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

DOC,

LOL, that is why you don't tattoo your boobies or any place that gravity takes a toll on when you are older.

Tattoos also fade when you are older, but by that time, I don't think I'll care. Hell, I will probably forget I ever got a tattoo.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My husband is 60 and has two tatoos on his arms. One is a marijuana leaf, (which is ironic being that he never liked to smoke it) and a boxing parrot. He still has a lot of muscle tone, so they're not sagging, but the color has faded ovr the last 40 years. But they still look okay IMO.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Just don'g go for black henna. It can be very unhealthy. If you want temporary, go for 100% natural henna.

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Greetings,

I currently have five and intend to get a lot more, wife permitting,lol, although she's okay with this. During our early dating period we both decided to get ink, she had a cat on her stomach, it looked smashing until, that is we got pregnant then the cat achieved almost life like size! Have one by all means, but not on your stomach if you intend to get pregnant!

best wishes

Star Tiger

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

star tiger,

LOL, thanks for the advice but my baby factory is closed for business. I'm 42 and my last baby was 17 years ago!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

folks used to ask him"WHAT is that"?
    my Mum would answer "Hussy"!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA......

You're hilarious, Grace!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit