Samadhi: The Ultimate Achievement of Spiritual Awakening

by frankiespeakin 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poppers
    poppers

Poppers,

I love this. Where does the will, drive, motivation come from that makes me want to do things? The need to create things, express my truth, etc.? The need to leave something of myself behind when my physical being ends? What is it that wants to keep me moving, growing in this life?

These are impulses that arise out of consciousness - they do not belong to a separate "you", though it may seem that it is "you" that generate them. If you can look very closely you'll see them arise of their own accord; only later, perhaps milliseconds, does the mentally created "me" attach itself to them and claim ownership of them. Consciousness is inherently creative, and does so out of an impulse to explore its own creation through the unique perspective of apparent individuals.

• frankiespeakin
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Doof

Sorry, the correct title is 'peaceful warrior'.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

' These are impulses that arise out of consciousness - they do not belong to a separate "you", though it may seem that it is "you" that generate them. If you can look very closely you'll see them arise of their own accord; only later, perhaps milliseconds, does the mentally created "me" attach itself to them and claim ownership of them. Consciousness is inherently creative, and does so out of an impulse to explore its own creation through the unique perspective of apparent individuals.'

Thoughts, generally: do they derive from the mind, or from consciousness?

S

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

PM for Satanus (Peaceful Warrior).

• alias
    alias

Thank you, Poppers.

• poppers
    poppers

Thoughts, generally: do they derive from the mind, or from consciousness?

Mind is synonymous with thought, and mind is nothing other than consciousness taking form. Mind/thought arises from consciousness and subsides back into it again, like waves that temporarily appear on the surface of the ocean. The wave itself is none other than the ocean itself making itself appear in wave form. Mind, as a form of consciousness, has duration, dimension, and limitation, but no separate reality of its own, just as the wave on the ocean has duration, dimension, and limitation, but it is not separate from the ocean. Whatever power a wave has comes from the ocean, and whatever power mind/thought has comes from consciousness. In other words, all is consciousness; this is nonduality. So, there is not consciousness and thought/mind; there is formless consciousness and consciousness AS thought/mind. This is nonduality.

Difficulties arise for people when identification with form comes, thinking they are only this one particular body/mind entity that appears to be separate from all other things, thus creating duality. Pointing at their body/mind people declare, "This is me, and everything else is not me." Attention gets focused solely in an outward direction toward all the different forms, and this obscures recognition of the formless consciousness out of which the forms arose. This is when people get "lost in the world", a world of duality. Where there is duality conflict will be created, not only with other people but within themselves.

What's necessary is for people to re-cognize the underlying formless consciousness that is the foundation/source of all forms by shifting attention away from forms back onto their source. In other words, take a form (the easiest is thought) and seek its source. Watch carefully the arising and dissolving of thought, and notice what is present even when thought is absent. That is their source, formless consciousness itself. To deepen insight investigate the reality of "me" - see if it can be located as a specific ever present entity. Determine if it's real or only comprised of temporary and fleeting thought forms. This begs the question, "What am I really if I am not thought?"

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thankyou. The reason i asked, is because of negative thoughts. The notion is that one would not want to attribute negativity to a benign or benevolent panconsciousness.

Doof

Checking. Thankyou.

S

• poppers
    poppers

Thought is thought, just a particular kind of movement of the mind, but ego takes a particular thought and makes it negative or positive depending upon the conditioning of the ego. When negative thoughts occur there is no obligation to invest them with energy by believing them. Fighting against thought, trying to control them, is giving them energy, and that is what ego does; instead, let them be, observing them without judgment. When they are allowed to be present they will go away all by themselves. By fighting them they are kept in place - let them be, just watch them.

• trevor
    trevor

It's good to see James Thomas, Poppers, Talesin and other like minded people examining spirituality in such an adult way.

The 'Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle is a well known book which I have found helpful. I now have the audio version which I have put on my ipod. It's very relaxing to listen to on long walks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit