Samadhi: The Ultimate Achievement of Spiritual Awakening

by frankiespeakin 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

The ego is like an image projected on a screen, similar to what they do in a drive in theatre. As soon as the machine is turned off, the image dissappears. Stepping out of mind, the ego dissappears, similarly. As soon as the mins becomes active again, the ego pops back into existense. The mind thinks that it need identity, something to identify w. It casts around desparately, and creates the ego, and fills it like you blow up a baloon. Deflate it, there's merely a 2 dimensional film left. Deflation hurts like hell, can feel like death. After yrs of ego identification, it's totally automatic.

All that said, though, it's not necesarily bad to have an ego. It may be necesary in order to accomplish things.

S

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yeah an ego ain't a bad thing,,it's how most of us experience consciousness,, or "ego consciousness".

The thing that intrigues me is that samadhi transcends ego consciousness not just merely a combining or synthesis of ego consciousness with the unconscious but a transcendence of both or transconsciousness :

http://www.neochristians.com/files/neo-christian_essays/chinmoy_samadhi.htm

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, ego dissapears when one gets close that. I haven't been as far as samadhi, been to the light, peace tranquility. But, never all the way. I generally need to side step it to be able to do a serious meditation. It's right back, afterward, though.

S

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Poppers', explanations are extremely beautiful and clear. Certainly coming from a consciousness that lives what is being pointed to. Words to be deeply savored. We are blessed to have him here.

That said, if anyone would like to see a "teacher" with this same vivid message via YouTube, I suggest checking-out a wonderfully loving fellow named Mooji. There are dozens and dozens of his videos there, everyone of which points us back to the same intimate presence within that dear poppers does. It is time for our searching to end once and for all. We are what we seek.

Enjoy.

j

• poppers
    poppers

The ego is like an image projected on a screen, similar to what they do in a drive in theatre. As soon as the machine is turned off, the image dissappears. Stepping out of mind, the ego dissappears, similarly. As soon as the mins becomes active again, the ego pops back into existense. The mind thinks that it need identity, something to identify w. It casts around desparately, and creates the ego, and fills it like you blow up a baloon. Deflate it, there's merely a 2 dimensional film left. Deflation hurts like hell, can feel like death. After yrs of ego identification, it's totally automatic.

I like the way Ramana Maharshi has said it:

“It is the same in the case of the cinema. The screen is always there; the pictures come and go, but do not affect the screen. What does the screen care whether the pictures appear or disappear? The pictures depend upon the screen. But what use are they to it? The man who looks only at the pictures on the screen and not the screen itself, is troubled by the pains and pleasures that occur in the story. But the man who views the screen, realises that the images are all shadows and not something apart and distinct from the screen. So also with the world. It is all a shadow play,” said Bhagavan.

---

Those who know their true nature, which is analogous to recognizing that you are the screen, stay conscious of their true nature even while engaged in the world; they are no longer fooled into believing they are isolated and separate individuals. They see the changing nature of the world of form (the images on the screen) and no longer get "lost" in that world.

All that said, though, it's not necesarily bad to have an ego. It may be necesary in order to accomplish things.

No, it's not a bad thing. Ego is only troublesome when it is mistaken for what you are. While engaged in the world ego is certainly a useful tool, but when it isn't needed those who consciously abide in their true nature very easily let the ego drop away.

Yeah an ego ain't a bad thing,,it's how most of us experience consciousness,, or "ego consciousness".

Yes, ego is one way consciousness experiences itself as form. What most people overlook is the formless nature of consciousness, and they end up remaining identified with the limited expression of consciousness as ego. It is that limited expression that isolates itself from all else, and that is the "dream" that one awakens out of when true nature is realized.

Ego is not an enemy; too many people turn it into an enemy and attempt to "kill" it, which is a fool's task. Only an ego would attempt to get rid of ego; it's an impossibility. What's necessary is to see/realize the illusory nature of it, to see it for what it actually is, a concept, a story being played out in the mind because of habit and conditioning.

I suggest checking-out a wonderfully loving fellow named Mooji

I agree - Mooji is great. I'd also suggest Adyashanti as well. He has a great website with lots of free stuff, and there are numerous youtube videos of him out there too. Adya has some guided meditations that help people learn to "be still" so that true nature can be recognized. These meditations aren't formulaic, where you have to follow some prescribed technique like saying a mantra or visualizing something. Instead, they are ways to release all efforts to achieve something, to get "somewhere", or to understand some concept.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Poppers

Thanks for adding attention to the screen part of the illustration. It's true, that after a person has experienced it many times, he can remember about the screen part and how it is always there. Also, that the ego isn't that important.

After you had previously recommended adyashanti, i did check him out. Since he's a westerner, his angle may appeal more to the western person.

S

• poppers
    poppers

After you had previously recommended adyashanti, i did check him out. Since he's a westerner, his angle may appeal more to the western person.

I agree. People in the west generally will relate better to a fellow westerner, especially when they first start out. What's found, though, is that when one recognizes true nature he/she can easily understand what non-westerners have to say about it because they are referring to the very same truth. Truth is universal, so when it is discovered there is a remarkable similarity in how it is described; the pointers to it may differ slightly due to cultural influences, but the truth is the same. What must be kept in mind is that truth is not in the description, but in what is being pointed to - as the saying goes, don't mistake the finger pointing to the moon for the moon. That's what often happens in religions, and the resulting dogma that develops becomes a source of contention. No words, descriptions, or concepts of it are enough because it is totally transcendent to them. That's the failure of following religious ideas, because that only keeps you bound to the mind, and truth is independent of mind.

• meditations
    meditations

Glad to hear there are other ex-JWs (I assume) that are now pursuing an Eastern approach to spirituality as well. Namaste

• talesin
    talesin

awesome discussion

ego without arrogance, is what I was thinking ...

My teacher, Peter, have not seen him for a couple years, but yes, that link, frankie, has elements of his work, the overexcitability and I loved this:

"Unilevel crises" are not developmental as the person can only choose between equal alternatives (go left or go right?).

It's so simple,,, call it crisis management, triage, prioritizing, whatever.

, and after meditating for years (kind of), finally leanring/practicing 'mindful meditation' has brought ways of living - calming the reactionary, and encouraging the creative... I also thought Dabrowski's disagreement w/ maslow is interesting --- can't we embrace both? Accept we have physical needs, understand them, allowing oneself a better understanding of what we are/where we fit on the planet. After all, one of the bases of his (Dabrowski's) premise is that those who are 'gifted' have a better chance of achieving 'advanced development'. Wouldn't gifted individuals want to understand their relationship to the rest of the bioshere? ,,, which for me has led to a more humble, accepting frame of mind in everyday life. (much of the time,,,ahem!)

And this,,

Traditional approaches to mental health view overexcitability and psychoneuroses as symptoms that must be eliminated and no traditional approach helps the individual with strong developmental potential to learn to cope with life: living as a "square peg in a round world."

The opposite of PD, so to speak, which says 'embrace being a square peg', and there's a step on the journey. This is, I feel, true of most traditional therapies, tho there are often useful tools to be learned from different methodologies.

... also noted Mooji and Adyashantil

merci

t

• alias
    alias

Poppers,

I love this. Where does the will, drive, motivation come from that makes me want to do things? The need to create things, express my truth, etc.? The need to leave something of myself behind when my physical being ends? What is it that wants to keep me moving, growing in this life?

(Hi JamesThomas!) JT also helped me on a journey of seeing differently years ago. I am grateful for the sharing. I keep seeking (why?).

alias

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit